ASUS Has Created an RTX 40 Series GPU That Uses a Proprietary PCB Connector Instead of Standard Power Connectors

cablemods already has a series of adapters out , one already melted also, and it was seated all the way in, took the repair guy several minutes to get them apart.
Yep, I watched the GN video on it. Still under investigation.

LOL, now we're back to comparing things with cars again? The tech world just loves beating a dead horse into submission these days. Just like the Asus (and others) issue with AM5 cpu's. They have nothing else to talk about so they just keep harping on the same thing and bringing things back to talk about it again and again. This "hobby" is getting tiring to be involved in anymore.
OH, cry me a river, if you are not interested in these topics just avoid clicking on the videos or articles that are about them. The choice is yours. It is absolutely shocking to me that you'd prefer pretending it's not a real problem. The AM5 overvolting bug is also real, and I absolutely want them reporting on it, and not sweeping it under a rug.

What I don't get is why an user would feel the need to defend the honor of a trillion dollar company, when they clearly F-ed up with the 12VHPWR cable. It doesn't matter that not 100% of them fail this way, they all have the potential. User error is not an excuse. Why didn't the 8pin PCIE connectors fail? Because they were more durable. The new standard is clearly of inferior design.

And finally what's wrong with comparing to cars? What would you prefer as a comparison, washing machines? Sadly I don't know of a precedent for washing machines melting due to a design flaw.

Well, I think it comes down to trying to cram 8+ Amps through a 3mm pin connection.

The more standard ATX-style connectors were 4.2mm, and the spec called for them to only carry a bit over 4A per cable (150W per 8-pin, 6 pins carry amps (+/- pairs), 2 are for sensing)

This site goes over physical construction.

So... double the amperage and decrease the area of the connection point - what could possibly go wrong?

When heat is enough to melt parts of the connectors and STILL not shut down the system for safety there is a bigger problem here. One that needs to be addressed.
Yeah I never said it was a great design, but the amount of people having issues is very small compared to those of us not having issues. I'm not going to overreact like some people. If they issue a recall then that's fine, but until then I will just continue to enjoy my hardware.

Yeah I never said it was a great design, but the amount of people having issues is very small compared to those of us not having issues. I'm not going to overreact like some people. If they issue a recall then that's fine, but until then I will just continue to enjoy my hardware.

It's like Greg Salazar, he is still going after MSI for their aio's getting clogged, yet I don't see anyone else make a big deal out of it. MSI has even implemented advanced RMA's for the affected customers.

The pins are too **** small and the rent is too **** high.
DC power makes nice clean welds.

It's like Greg Salazar, he is still going after MSI for their aio's getting clogged, yet I don't see anyone else make a big deal out of it. MSI has even implemented advanced RMA's for the affected customers.
Yes I have watched his videos on the MSI issue and he's right on that, and he's not dragging it out either.

Last edited:
I have to agree, I'm not a fan of the design. I like the idea of consolidating and I think it could have been done better but I haven't had any issues with mine and I've got 3 cards with it, all OC'd and using 400-450W when gaming with max in-game settings at 4K. I mention this because I've noticed that increased VRAM use, and frequency, can affect the power draw. Each has also been used extensively in 4-8 hour sessions on various weekends. The highest I've seen is with the 4090 going ~500-530 during some ridiculous testing I did early on but it almost never does that during normal OC use.

Nobody says you should immediately stop using your computer, but there is a huge gap between manically ripping out your GPU of your system and denying it is even a real issue. The normal response is somewhere in between.

If you don't already have a GPU using it you should maybe wait and see. Or if you buy one anyway pay extra attention to this cable to make sure it is not bent too much. Because I don't think not being seated properly is the end of the story. But bending it to fit into small spaces causes the contact patch to be highly reduced from an already diminished size.

Whoever designed this cable did the calculations on paper for the size of contact patch and on paper it is more than enough, but in practice when someone shoves it against a case wall it might only be making partial contact despite being fully plugged in. Heck with weak thin pins such as this it might even be possible that not plugging it in fully makes the contact more even.

All I know is that if I had a card like this the bare minimum I'd do is measure the temp on the connector during load with an IR thermometer.

I have to agree, I'm not a fan of the design. I like the idea of consolidating and I think it could have been done better but I haven't had any issues with mine and I've got 3 cards with it, all OC'd and using 400-450W when gaming with max in-game settings at 4K. I mention this because I've noticed that increased VRAM use, and frequency, can affect the power draw. Each has also been used extensively in 4-8 hour sessions on various weekends. The highest I've seen is with the 4090 going ~500-530 during some ridiculous testing I did early on but it almost never does that during normal OC use.
Same here. The issue needed to be brought to peoples attention and it was. That being said I think the number of people having issues with these cards are very small. Not sticking up for Nvidia or the design as I have mentioned here numerous times that it could have been better (though someone overlooked that I guess). I just don't feel the need to keep harping on an issue that honestly wouldn't be discussed anymore if that Northbridge tech tuber guy didn't get those cards from cablemod to dissect. I have used three 4090's here myself and have zero issues with them.

Last edited:
Same here. The issue needed to be brought to peoples attention and it was. That being said I think the number of people having issues with these cards are very small. Not sticking up for Nvidia or the design as I have mentioned here numerous times that it could have been better (though someone overlooked that I guess). I just don't feel the need to keep harping on an issue that honestly wouldn't be discussed anymore if that Northridge(?) tech tuber guy didn't get those cards from cablemod to dissect. I have used three 4090's here myself and have zero issues with them.
What really REALLY rubs me is they had the right solution for the consolidated connector in the 30 series. The angled plug. Guess they just couldn't be bothered this time, or the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

I just don't feel the need to keep harping on an issue that honestly wouldn't be discussed anymore if that Northridge(?) tech tuber guy didn't get those cards from cablemod to dissect.
Yep and even then there's been a lack of clear communication abroad regarding the Northbridge video. I strongly recommend that those following this watch GN's coverage this story here (at 7:44)

NB was "unaware" that the bulk of the cards sent to him were in fact from Cablemod who wanted external testing because it involved their new right angle apapter, which by the way had been delayed due to manufacturing delays. I was tracking this as well long before NB and had read some posts back in January-February that some users had been having issues. Cablemod apparently sent these cards and adapters to NB because they wanted external testing and NB kind of jumped the gun, and conclusions, regarding them, at least that's how Steve puts it. To me, it seems like their adapter may not be up to par, or maybe there was a bad batch. I don't know but I do know this is getting rehashed primarily due to some folks piling it on the wagon from the old reports without knowing all the details.

Since I've been interested in a right angle cable, not adapter, I've also been reading reviews for other manufacturers and they too are having quality issues. Just check Amazon. However, cablemod is not offering that particular type on Amazon and everytime I check on their page it says something like 2-4 weeks lead in before shipping even happens so I haven't bothered. This too, at least to me, indicates that great care is needed for any right angle approach and fabrication must be attentive to all the issues known.

Since I've been interested in a right angle cable, not adapter, I've also been reading reviews for other manufacturers and they too are having quality issues.
I have their right angle adapter here, and after trying to install it on my 4090 it had a horrible fitment so I'm back to my stock cable that came with my PSU which is working fine.
I don't know but I do know this is getting rehashed primarily due to some folks piling it on the wagon from the old reports without knowing all the details.

Thank you. This is exactly my point. If Nvidia and Asus for that matter need to do better then some of these "tech tubers" need to do better with their accuracy. Also thank you for getting me the correct name for Northbridge.

What really REALLY rubs me is they had the right solution for the consolidated connector in the 30 series. The angled plug. Guess they just couldn't be bothered this time, or the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.
I agree with you. They could have done better, but hopefully they learn from this and actually do better. This is all becoming way to common in the PC hardware community lately.

Last edited:
OH, cry me a river, if you are not interested in these topics just avoid clicking on the videos or articles that are about them.

I'm saying this publicly as everyone needs to keep this in mind when posting here - Address the content of the post instead of making it personal. If there's nothing left to say other than making it personal, then it probably shouldn't be said.

If anyone needs more clarification on what this means, feel free to PM me.

Thank you. This is exactly my point. If Nvidia and Asus for that matter need to do better then some of these "tech tubers" need to do better with their accuracy.

A lot of the manufacturers I talked to seem to be getting tired of the tech tubers and their accuracy as they get more clicks/cash by making outrageous claims even if they can't properly prove them.

A lot of the manufacturers I talked to seem to be getting tired of the tech tubers and their accuracy as they get more clicks/cash by making outrageous claims even if they can't properly prove them.
I do not watch a lot of techtuber content but I'm sure if one of them made false claims the rest of them would eat that one alive. They keep each other in check as well as the manufacturers.

I'd assume the frustration of the manufacturers doesn't come from the validity of the claims, but that there are 1000 eyes on them ready to pounce at the smallest misstep.

It would be great to hear them call the tech tubers out on their inaccuracies, but I'm sure it wouldn't be good for their public image to do so I suppose.

I don't have much sympathy for either group — the tech tubers or the manufacturers. I'd actually be interested to know which, if any, manufacturers are not guilty of punishing sites for publishing negative hardware reviews or other criticisms, even when they're honest and accurate. NVIDIA has been absolutely terrible in that respect.

I don't know much about the tech tubers. The instruction manual for 2023 is probably on YouTube, which is why I haven't read it.

It would be great to hear them call the tech tubers out on their inaccuracies, but I'm sure it wouldn't be good for their public image to do so I suppose.
Yeah. There's a fine line between trying to correct someone who is being hyperbolic on purpose and using a heavy hand to squish hard hitting journalism. And what do you do in the case of someone who just keeps spouting off inaccuracies? You stop sampling them then you are trying to "cover it up", but if you do then you are just enabling them.

It's really a no-win situation. I do fault the tech tubers, but they are only doing it because it gets results - so really, I blame Joe Q Idiot who's out there watching this crap.

And what do you do in the case of someone who just keeps spouting off inaccuracies? You stop sampling them then you are trying to "cover it up", but if you do then you are just enabling them.
It really is a no win situation. I watch tech tubers occasionally if I'm looking at a certain piece of hardware or case to add to the journalistic reviews I look at, but other than that I don't bother. Most of them can't be trusted or you can just plain tell they are getting paid in some way for their "review".

Become a Patron!
Back