ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII EXTREME Motherboard Review

Dan_D

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction

image-2-1024x378.jpg

ASUS is a company that hardly needs an introduction which makes things easy. The company has been around since the 1980s and has become a powerhouse in the computing industry. The company makes a wide range of products ranging from motherboards, workstations, laptops, graphics cards, routers, monitors, and even cell phones. The company is still primarily thought of as a motherboard manufacturer by those of us who remember the days when that’s all the company was known for.

Republic of Gamers

ASUS also established its Republic of Gamers brand before everyone else started copying them. This was a brand that targeted gamers specifically and set the bar for what a gaming aesthetic was. Motherboards prior to ASUS’ ROG brand were usually a myriad of hideous and incongruent colors which, if any attention was given to them it was a pure afterthought. Occasionally, you would...

Continue reading...

Awesome review man!!!!!!!!!

Although, that's way to short of a name for a motherboard @Dan_D :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Awesome review man!!!!!!!!!

Although, that's way to short of a name for a motherboard @Dan_D :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

At least ASUS has a naming convention that I can remember. There were Maximus boards before this one, so that makes it easier. Although, you have to learn Roman numerals to know which generation your talking about.

While I would't get such an expensive board, I'd love to see the M2 "dimm" slots on other mobos

I think it would have made more sense sticking the card vertically rather than horizontally, but either way its fine

I'd gladly give up pci-e slots or even memory dimm slots in exchange for say a 4way pci-e 4.0 x4 m2 dimm slot

While I would't get such an expensive board, I'd love to see the M2 "dimm" slots on other mobos

I think it would have made more sense sticking the card vertically rather than horizontally, but either way its fine

I'd gladly give up pci-e slots or even memory dimm slots in exchange for say a 4way pci-e 4.0 x4 m2 dimm slot
I’m surprised there isnt a pci card that does this - since it’s PCI lanes in the first place. I’m sure the part exists but there must be a reason it isn’t commonplace

I was really interested to see how its memory performance topped out with a good set of B Die or similar.
The overclocking test with the Hynix sticks didnt tell us anything unfortunately.
Can B Die or similar overclocking be added to future tests, or even this one?

hopefully this starts a trend

Since multigpu is pretty much dead (again...), this would be a great way to make use of the unused 16x pcie slot
While I agree with you whole heartedly, remember that for most people that second x16 slot will only run at x8 (or even less at x4)

While I agree with you whole heartedly, remember that for most people that second x16 slot will only run at x8 (or even less at x4)
Yup, but that's because its shared with the M2 slots in many cases, but even at x8 it would still be fine with me

But the pictured product was a 4 x NVMe setup, which won't see full potential in a x8 or x4 slot..
Well, true. I can imagine some use cases that might be an issue - but for 99% of what I would do with it, I would rather take the extra slots for storage capacity.

The times I have more than 2 drives going at under kind of load is ... very rare.

ASUS Maximus XXXXX. . . $ :)

Dan,
Does the DPC latency of the motherboard affect game type latencies? No clue how one would test, maybe with Nvidia latency tester or something. Then again how significant that would be is another question. If so, then that could set apart motherboards in a big way if significant is my thinking.

I was surprised how well the 3900x held up in the CPU tests, could only imagine a 5900x or 5950x. I hope AMD supplies FPS some Ryzen 5 (Zen 3) CPUs, besides being almost impossible to actually obtain through normal means.

They have sent us a 5800 and 5600, but those are in Brent's queue and he's been busy with video cards. We will have those up soon, but still looking for the 5900 and 5950...

I'm still on the hunt for those myself.

IIRC, you all never managed to get any of the Threadripper parts in for Zen2, did you? Think you'll get any for Zen3?

I find it unlikely that we will get Zen 3 threadrippers especially when we didn't get 5900/5950 sampled (or a 3950, which I bought myself). Our traffic keeps going up, so hopefully in time they will arrive. Right now, I wouldn't count on Zen 3 TR reviews here unless we 1. Have the time (unlikely with the current backlog) and 2. Borrow it from a reader that happens to have it.

Of course, if a sample shoes up, we will cover it :)

Become a Patron!
Back