ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII EXTREME Motherboard Review

Well, I plan on doing the upgrade, so we might have a reason to chat- assuming it’s on sTRX4 like they promised. I want to get rid of the x399 system, so upgrading my main and moving parts down- problem solved. Wouldn’t mind loaning it out, if y’all promise not to damage it. 🤣

Well, I plan on doing the upgrade, so we might have a reason to chat- assuming it’s on sTRX4 like they promised. I want to get rid of the x399 system, so upgrading my main and moving parts down- problem solved. Wouldn’t mind loaning it out, if y’all promise not to damage it. 🤣

This could be interesting. We were offered sTRX4 boards, we just didn't have a chip to go in them. Let's see how things go with the announcement :)

This could be interesting. We were offered sTRX4 boards, we just didn't have a chip to go in them. Let's see how things go with the announcement :)
Sounds good. I’d only be planning on the 3960 equivalent, but if that’s enough for you all to knock out some tests... I’m not in a super hurry. CES timeframe for the announcement , no?

Sounds good. I’d only be planning on the 3960 equivalent, but if that’s enough for you all to knock out some tests... I’m not in a super hurry. CES timeframe for the announcement , no?

That's when last year's happened and I believe there's an AMD keynote scheduled for this year. I don't have any solid info beyond speculation though. I'm also going to guess that retail availability will be difficult as it has been with just about every hardware launch in recent memory.

That's when last year's happened and I believe there's an AMD keynote scheduled for this year. I don't have any solid info beyond speculation though. I'm also going to guess that retail availability will be difficult as it has been with just about every hardware launch in recent memory.
I'm hoping that the extra cost will make it less likely to be a problem; when the summer shortages were happening, I switched to TR partially because of availability - and also because I decided that why the hell not, it'll do what I want for certain, rather than "probably". Which was accurate :D And Microcenter had all the parts in stock to begin with! Kinda like the 3090s being more available now than the 3080s... or the 3060s.

IIRC, you all never managed to get any of the Threadripper parts in for Zen2, did you? Think you'll get any for Zen3?

Doubtful. AMD's yields seem particularly bad these days for a variety of reasons. I hope to get one, but it seems very unlikely. Back in the days of stagnant CPU development I'd buy a $1,000+ CPU and hold onto it for 4-5 years. These days? Not so much. That's why I didn't want to buy a Threadripper 3960X or 3970X myself.

Doubtful. AMD's yields seem particularly bad these days for a variety of reasons. I hope to get one, but it seems very unlikely. Back in the days of stagnant CPU development I'd buy a $1,000+ CPU and hold onto it for 4-5 years. These days? Not so much. That's why I didn't want to buy a Threadripper 3960X or 3970X myself.

You always roll to the latest?

You always roll to the latest?

It really depends. I won't usually spend a ton of money on new hardware unless there is something to gain from it. I tend to skip product refreshes as the cost vs. performance gains over the initial architectural release is usually too small to bother with it. For example: I stuck with my 3x 8800GTX's rather than upgrading to 3x 8800 Ultra's. The difference in performance was almost negligible and the cost to do it would have been insane, even factoring what I could have sold my 8800GTX's for at the time.

However, I went from a 2080 Ti to a 3090 without a moments hesitation. I am not likely to upgrade to whatever NVIDIA's 30 series refresh is as I doubt the increase will warrant laying out another $1,500 or more. Whatever comes later will be in my sights for sure. In contrast, I ran the Intel Core i7 5960X for almost five years. The 6950X was almost 50% more expensive for two more cores. The IPC uplift and loss of overclocking headroom made that upgrade a wash for playing games. It essentially served zero purpose to buy it. Mainstream CPU's weren't all that enticing back in those days either given they were quad cores. I have always run high resolution displays relative to the vast majority of people. I didn't care what a 7700K or something like that did at 1080P.

The only reason I really went with the 10900K is because I was planning on buying a new CPU anyway. It was time to upgrade my girlfriend's machine and I needed a CPU. So, I gave her my 3950X and bought a 10900K. I wanted a 5950X but for my purposes (gaming) the 10900K is functionally just as good. Especially since I'm running a 4K display. That being said, if I 5950X comes up for sale and I can grab one for a good price, I may very well swap motherboards and CPU's with her and sell that 3950X.

Ah, so same boat I was in with the wife. I would have stuck with my 6700K, except she really needed off the 8350- so parts rolled down hill.

Ah, so same boat I was in with the wife. I would have stuck with my 6700K, except she really needed off the 8350- so parts rolled down hill.

She wasn't in too bad a shape as she was running a Ryzen 7 2700X. However, that's not a great CPU for gaming and she's at 2560x1440. So, she benefited from an upgrade.

Become a Patron!
Back