Asus Rog Strix 4090 Gaming OC

Niner51

FPS Regular
Finally got the white version of this card to tie my system together. The Gigabyte 4090 is a great card, but was kind of out of place in my white build. So far the Asus 4090 card has been excellent with zero coil whine (seems to be some complaints about Asus cards out there lately) and it runs just as cool as the Gigabyte card.
2-17-23.jpg

Looks awesome!

Yeah, there's always some whining(pun intended) about GPU coil whine. I've no doubt there are some exceptions where it probably is freakishly loud but over the years I've pretty much had to put my ear up against a case or have things in an open chassis, in order to hear it. I've had 3 gens of ASUS Strix top tier cards (1080 Ti/2080 Ti/3090), all OC editions, and read reviews of people complaining about coil whine but I never noticed over the fans unless I put my ear up close to the case and really had things maxed out and under load. I suppose with an ultra-quiet build it's more obvious but I haven't been able to make anything that quiet, yet.

Looks awesome!

Yeah, there's always some whining(pun intended) about GPU coil whine. I've no doubt there are some exceptions where it probably is freakishly loud but over the years I've pretty much had to put my ear up against a case or have things in an open chassis, in order to hear it. I've had 3 gens of ASUS Strix top tier cards (1080 Ti/2080 Ti/3090), all OC editions, and read reviews of people complaining about coil whine but I never noticed over the fans unless I put my ear up close to the case and really had things maxed out and under load. I suppose with an ultra-quiet build it's more obvious but I haven't been able to make anything that quiet, yet.
Thanks! I have read and heard about the coil whine mostly with the Asus cards, but really no other manufacturer that I've seen. I haven't heard anything yet from my card, and though I am only getting older my hearing is still decent..lol. People tend to focus on the negatives out there lately, and though I agree if it was noticeable I would be the first to complain to Asus, but as it stands I have no issue.

Thanks! I have read and heard about the coil whine mostly with the Asus cards, but really no other manufacturer that I've seen. I haven't heard anything yet from my card, and though I am only getting older my hearing is till decent..lol. People tend to focus on the negatives out there lately, and though I agree if it was noticeable I would be the first to complain to Asus, but as it stands I have no issue.
I was a huge fan of Asus Strix cards for years and still don't really have anything bad to say about the ones I've had. MSI won me over with its Suprim line, as did EVGA with its FTW3 Ultra series but honestly, once you get to a certain tier they're all good. I've had GIGABYTE cards that got the job done but something about them always felt clunky and it's not something I can really put my finger on.

I have to complement that build once again. There are only so many people in the world that can appreciate the simplicity of such powerful hardware. Any plans to throw a custom loop on that 4090 or is it performing as needed on air? I've heard good things about the newer heatsinks, and my EVGA 3090 Ti in the 4930K rig has something very similar in terms of its size but was wondering.

I have to complement that build once again. There are only so many people in the world that can appreciate the simplicity of such powerful hardware. Any plans to throw a custom loop on that 4090 or is it performing as needed on air? I've heard good things about the newer heatsinks, and my EVGA 3090 Ti in the 4930K rig has something very similar in terms of its size but was wondering.
I appreciate that. I don't have any plans on water cooling the card as it runs fine as is with the stock heatsink and fans. I've always been a fan of air cooling and it took me a long time just to get myself to use an AIO. All my builds usually focus on good air flow which so far has been enough to cool these 4090 and 3090 beasts. The H7 Flow is a great case when used with the right fans (you use the Noctuas so you know), and these NZXT 140mm fans I have as set as intake really move a lot of air at low speeds.

Finally got the white version of this card to tie my system together. The Gigabyte 4090 is a great card, but was kind of out of place in my white build. So far the Asus 4090 card has been excellent with zero coil whine (seems to be some complaints about Asus cards out there lately) and it runs just as cool as the Gigabyte card.
View attachment 2381
Good gawd this is a really clean build. Not usually a fan of white but this is tastefully done. The lighting at the front end of the card is interesting. Can you show us that from a more direct angle? The 12VHPWR cable does keep things clean, no doubt about that. Is your card weight support stand 3rd-party? I almost didn't notice it cuz it blends in with everything else so well.

Yeah, there's always some whining(pun intended) about GPU coil whine. I've no doubt there are some exceptions where it probably is freakishly loud but over the years I've pretty much had to put my ear up against a case or have things in an open chassis, in order to hear it.
I have read and heard about the coil whine mostly with the Asus cards, but really no other manufacturer that I've seen.
My EVGA GTX 970 could emit coil whine in rare situations that I could hear over my fulltower case's 4 fans that are always at max speed (not to mention my AIO cooler's 4 fans, but not when they are at max speed), but my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti had some pretty loud coil whine that would only occur when I ran specific programs (which exact programs I can no longer recall, but I do remember some where nVidia tech demos). I heard it a lot more often than my 970's coil whine (and I used the 1080 Ti for less years than I used the 970). I could even hear it over my window A/C unit! At times it sounded like a squeal. Still, audible coil whine happens extremely rarely for me. Heard it a little bit for very small periods of time on my RTX 3090 when the room is quieter. Don't recall what I was running at the time.

Back in the 2000s and early 2010s I used to work for a company that did freelance software testing (mainly game testing), and one of our clients was nVidia. We tested their cards and especially their drivers. We had a wiiiiide range of cards from all kinds of AIBs, and decently loud coil whine was a common occurrence in our testing lab. But in home situations (either mine or in the homes of friends and family) I almost never hear coil whine from graphics cards, and forget it is even a thing.

EDIT: The nVidia Island demo (which was a showcase for DX11 tessellation by rendering a water surface with waves) doesn't work on Win10 apparently (just a blank window), but trying to run it causes audible coil whine on both the GTX 1080 TI and the RTX 3090 until the program is forcibly closed.

Last edited:
Good gawd this is a really clean build. Not usually a fan of white but this is tastefully done. The lighting at the front end of the card is interesting. Can you show us that from a more direct angle? The 12VHPWR cable does keep things clean, no doubt about that. Is your card weight support stand 3rd-party? I almost didn't notice it cuz it blends in with everything else so well.
Thanks. I included some pictures after I added a white PSU extension cable for the 24 pin connection and added some white sleeving to the 12VHPWR cable to blend things together. The stand came with the card and doubles as a screw driver as well if needed.
2-25-1.jpg2-25-2.jpg2-25-3.jpg2-25-4.jpg

Become a Patron!
Back