ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WI-FI Motherboard Review

Daniel_Doty

"stinger608"
Staff member
Introduction

In the lab today, we have the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) Socket AM4 motherboard. When most of us think of budget or value-oriented motherboards, Asus usually does not come to mind. However, this specific motherboard brings in a price point of $189.99 MSRP.  This, of course, isn’t at the high end or the bottom of the barrel. 

We wouldn’t call this a mid-level price range, but it certainly isn’t at the top of the price point for the awesome AMD B550 series of motherboards either. Being mid to upper-level B550 motherboard, we can expect to see some upper-level B550 options on this board. So, let’s take a look at what Asus has to offer with this board.

First, unless you have been living under a rock or just now getting into the DIY scene, everyone has pretty much heard of ASUS as they have been around for many years...

Continue reading...

Nice review. I put together two Zen2 systems based on the non-WiFi version of this motherboard last year. It's a nice board with decent features for a decent price.

I didn't attempt any overclocking or specific benches with the motherboard, but not surprised at all at what you found. I did run into the lack of numerous fan headers - but that was solved using a splitter, since I'm not in danger of overloading a 2A fan header with the fans I'm using. Both of the people using the builds wanted tons of RGB (*sigh*), and that was even pretty easily accomplished.

I did have an issue with the M.2 heat shield - but I don't know that I would call that Asus' fault. One of the m.2 drives I had placed their warranty sticker right on top of the drive chips... so if you put the heat shield on top, it was on top of the sticker, and removing the sticker to use the heat shield voided the warranty on the drive. I can't recall the brand of the drive off the top of my head, but I should look it up to blacklist them from future purchases.

I was looking at the B550-I version of this. Looks like a solid board

I've become a big fan of using fan splitters/hubs in my builds now. Never use to be, but I see how advantageous they are now.

I'm still not a fan of doing it that way, but it is advantageous from a cabling standpoint. It's worth noting that ASUS' Fan Extension II card is really nice for that purpose and it allows you to control all the fans via UEFI or software if you like. I believe all ROG motherboards have the header to use it. Although, I'm not 100% sure that applies to ROG STRIX boards.

Thanks @Daniel_Doty for the great review. I may end up with something like this, whether I want it or not, depending on if I can get my hands on something from NewEgg. It's good to know if I decide to use it that it's a decent board.

Become a Patron!
Back