ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 to Feature Increased TDP and Third Power Connector

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Image: ASUS

We could be witnessing the beginning of a new trend. Something unique happened with the last generation of RTX cards. MSI produced a 2080 Ti that actually had 3x 8-pin power connectors. Its MSI Trio had that along with a custom BIOS to increase its TDP over that of the NVIDIA Founders Edition counterpart. Now, at the time, it may have seemed silly to some, but considering the rumors and facts with the increased power requirements for the GeForce RTX 3090, it may not be such a far-fetched design choice this time around.

Image: ASUS...

Continue reading...

Looks good, head's currently spinning on which 3080 to pickup. I lean towards GPUs with transferable warranties (for resale purposes), but I'm really digging the 'transient voltage' feature (or whatever it's called). Basically lights up above the power connector if there are PSU issues.

Looks good, head's currently spinning on which 3080 to pickup. I lean towards GPUs with transferable warranties (for resale purposes), but I'm really digging the 'transient voltage' feature (or whatever it's called). Basically lights up above the power connector if there are PSU issues.

I hope the review embargo is up before they go on sale. I would really like to see how the new FE cooler performs before deciding which route to go this time around. I'm would like to get the EVGA hybrid, but I don't think I have room left for a 240mm radiator and I can see EVGA charging at least $300 more for it. Right now, I am leaning toward the STRIX.

I hope the review embargo is up before they go on sale. I would really like to see how the new FE cooler performs before deciding which route to go this time around. I'm would like to get the EVGA hybrid, but I don't think I have room left for a 240mm radiator and I can see EVGA charging at least $300 more for it. Right now, I am leaning toward the STRIX.
I agree on all fronts. I've had 2 gens of Strix x80 Ti's now and both have been incredible. They've both OC'd to numbers favorable to some records I've seen with liquid. However, that can be loud. Bottom line though, is it looks like everyone is bringing their "A" game for the 3090's. So many good choices and the reviews will determine a lot.

So many new and shiny toys to purchase soon. I may just go ahead and save-up the extra money for the 3090 Strix. I was going to see what Big Navi would bring until I saw the performance numbers of the 3000 series. Unfortunately, I do not see AMD producing a card that will tie much less beat a card with about the same power as two RTX 2080Ti's.

Become a Patron!
Back