ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 43-Inch 4K 144 Hz HDMI 2.1 Monitor Specifications and International Pricing Revealed

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
asus-rog-strix-xg438q-model-1024x576.jpg
Image: ASUS

Specifications and pricing for ASUS’ heavily anticipated ROG Strix XG43UQ 43-Inch 4K HDMI 2.1 gaming monitor have been revealed courtesy of early listings published at web shops Overclockers UK and CZC. According to the former, ASUS’ ROG Strix XG43UQ will cost nearly as much as an OLED TV based on its £1,348.99 price tag, which translates to around $1,870. The display does boast a number of great features for users who are fans of VA panels, however, such as DisplayHDR 1000 certification and Display Stream Compression to allow for higher resolutions and refresh rates via DisplayPort 1.4 without a perceivable impact to image quality...

Continue reading...

Not a bad-looking display. I wonder if the VRR implementation will be G-Sync compatible. Otherwise, it's nice to see the price finally, slowly, starting to come down for something with all the other specs. VA is a compromise thought but at least it checks a lot of other boxes.

Looks very cool, however I have a antique wooden desk and would need something about a foot deeper for a screen this size haha

VA is a compromise thought but at least it checks a lot of other boxes.
It's a big one, especially since this isn't a Samsung!

In past 43" VA panels, one of the biggest issues has been the text rendering. The panels used appear to have been panels that were optimized for TVs and had sub-pixel structures that forced significant tweaking to get text that looked even remotely acceptable.

I used and still use VA panels (LG) for photo editing and in darker enviro's much prefer them over IPS. (4K)

I still prepare for print for some clients. Color and Monochrome.

There always seems to be a caveat when it comes to these higher end large displays. This one being a VA panel. If it was IPS I'd be all over it.

I'm sure it's perfectly fine for gaming. Gaming displays are meant for gaming, not photo editing or reading text. I get it. But, still. My IPS display works great for everything. Piss poor blacks be damned, I'm not analyzing every little black portion of the screen when I'm immersed in a game.

I used and still use VA panels (LG) for photo editing and in darker enviro's much prefer them over IPS. (4K)

I still prepare for print for some clients. Color and Monochrome.
Yup. The better ones are definitely more than good enough; my main issue is that those are not the ones I have, and that the 'gaming' monitors with VA panels are usually pretty quick to make sacrifices in terms of color that are very difficult to mitigate while still keeping the aspects of the monitor that make it great for gaming.

Gaming IPS panels, on the other hand, are usually 99% there right out of the box!

I'm sure it's perfectly fine for gaming. Gaming displays are meant for gaming, not photo editing or reading text.
I wish it were just that they were 'not optimized' for those uses, but seriously who expects wacky stuff like text to be blurry on an LCD or colors to be impossible to calibrate?

There are definitely some good VA panels out there for sure and I have a 'good' one in my XPS 15, but man, I'm tired of being burned. I have one of the first Acer Predator 27" 165Hz IPS monitors and while it suffers from being an older IPS (low contrast, blooming), by the gods it's super sharp for text, the color is amazing and that fact is backed up by repeated calibrations, and I think it's even more responsive than my newer 'gaming VA'.

Looks very cool, however I have a antique wooden desk and would need something about a foot deeper for a screen this size haha
Yeah, that's always the dilemma when getting into these larger displays.

It kind of makes you wonder if Samsung might have a larger size 4K VA HDR1000 QLED VRR/high refresh offering on the horizon. If so, hopefully, they load it with enough dimming zones so it can compete and still be affordable. They've really invested in their ultrawide line and obviously have the technology. They've also cut deals to provide panels to a lot of other manufacturers but this market is still wide open for the taking.

edit: I only mention them because after owning the CRG9 I can honestly say that colors with QLED can very much compete with IPS and I'm far more into IPS so I was really shocked.

It kind of makes you wonder if Samsung might have a larger size 4K VA HDR1000 QLED VRR/high refresh offering on the horizon.
I'd have no problem believing that they do.

The biggest question with all of these monitors is not based around what's possible with today's technology, but about what is actually profitable. Unit cost, margins, and sales numbers are what matters here, and 'gaming' monitors are just not the place where high-end technology is profitable. The margins are too low and the sales volume too fickle to really support the development of a broad range of leading-edge products!

edit: I only mention them because after owning the CRG9 I can honestly say that colors with QLED can very much compete with IPS and I'm far more into IPS so I was really shocked.
I'm not really enamored with IPS as much as I'm disappointed with VA, but I do have to qualify that in saying that the VA panels I'm using are definitely 'trashy'.

I fully admit that Samsung's tech is on another level, I'm just a bit gun-shy on their tech myself, and well, not in a hurry because even if I got one, I'd have nothing to plug it in to!

And really, the bigger issue is that I want something that's great for gaming but still absolutely suitable for office work and color work. And that's just not a niche that companies seem to be developing products for at this time, unfortunately.

I want something that's great for gaming but still absolutely suitable for office work and color work.
The closest I ever got was with this: https://www.newegg.com/lg-31mu97-31/p/N82E16824025007

I had a lot of fun with it for a while playing Witcher 1-3, ROTR, Metro LL, and some other things. Also great for work. Still use it with my old 2600K rig for my other job and listening to hi-res audio. The only real downside with it is having to mute it because it has a weird static pop(they were notorious for it).

20210320_113230.jpg

Edit: Pardon the funky desk. I hobbled it together with various things last year when WFH started and I revived the old 2600K.

Yup!

60Hz, no VRR... those are game-breakers for me for my desktop. And that's what it takes for real content-creation support, unfortunately :(.
The only real downside with it is having to mute it because it has a weird static pop(they were notorious for it).
I'm regularly finding myself disabling monitor sound, and I do custom driver installs with Nvidia to make sure that they don't install their HD audio in the first place.

I've also warmed up to using audio interfaces as over-built soundcards, and I think that I'm pretty much done with audiophilia at this point, at least when it comes to DACs and amps!

Yup!

60Hz, no VRR... those are game-breakers for me for my desktop. And that's what it takes for real content-creation support, unfortunately :(.
Oh for sure. That's why it didn't last too long for my gaming needs but it was my first IPS display and I was blown away by the clarity and colors. At the time when I got it, 4K monitors, were in their infancy and gaming monitors didn't really exist as they do now but man those prices sure skyrocketed for all the extra features. I paid $999 for that back then, and seeing them range from $2000-$4000 for all the good stuff really blows my mind.

So, the Acer Predator I have I picked up... had to be in 2016 or 2017. I used it first with my dual-970s and then with the 1080Ti.

1440p, IPS, 165Hz... and no problems outside of the cable it came with being subpar, which is apparently 'a thing'. Replaced the cable, monitor still calibrates to 99% SRGB in one pass.

And the only reason I bought something to 'replace' it was because, when set further back for the purpose of putting more monitors next to it, 27" was feeling too small :D.

I'm now at the point of looking for a stand to put behind whatever desk I decide to purchase / build / customize, whenever I'm ready to buy a GPU and monitor solution that is actually worth buying... so a while.

But I'm seriously considering a setup with casters and multiple arms. I tend to feel pretty limited at the desk if I don't have at least two monitors and I've effectively used four and five before... so three ought to do it? We'll see!

Okay, I stopped being lazy and looked it up.

The Dell Alienware AW3821DW

I'd probably get one of the older LG 38" panels with the same resolution to stack on top of it... and then maybe something to throw in portrait mode on one or both sides ;)

Two monitors for me, a Calibrated 4K in 32" as main canvas and a 27" Dell 1080p for tools and palettes and also as a potato preview when doing web colors.

...no problems outside of the cable it came with being subpar, which is apparently 'a thing'.
Had the same issue with my Samsung C27HG70. The DP cable it came with sucked @ss. After I replaced it, everything was good to go. Of course this was on my replacement unit, because my previous C27HG70 lasted 3 weeks before the DisplayPort on the monitor completely crapped out. The replacement unit had overall better image quality too - there's that panel lottery, working out in my favor this time. Too bad the Dell S2721DGF wasn't out when I got the C27HG70 (which was a replacement for my Dell U2410 which died on me after 9+ years), as I would have preferred that monitor.

2 grand. Just buy an OLED for that price, LOL
A friend of mine grabbed a 55" LG CX for around $1400, if I recall correctly.

...it was my first IPS display and I was blown away by the clarity and colors.
I felt the same way about my 1200p Dell U2410 when I got it in 2011.

2 grand. Just buy an OLED for that price, LOL
Nope and nope.

Really, I've considered it, for years.

What may get me to bite is the potential for a 43" OLED from LG. Be nice if it supported more than 120Hz, but I could live with that too if I had to.

Biggest concerns are threefold:
  • Size - 48" as available now as a TV is still just too large, and it'd be extremely awkward to add additional monitors to
  • Burn-in - yup, until LG is ready to say that these things are set up for even just SDR desktop use, I'm staying away
  • Desktop suitability - at 43" and larger, I'm running the desktop with zero scaling, and it'd better be sharp, none of this VA subpixel mess we have now!
Overall, I think that OLED is 'the future' and I'd love to have one on my desk for gaming - unfortunately gaming isn't the only thing I do.

A friend of mine grabbed a 55" LG CX for around $1400, if I recall correctly.
I paid US$1200 flat to get my 55" C7 shipped to my door. These things go on sale and I've seen that price tag on newer models as their replacements were being ready, pandemic economics being an exception rather than the norm I think.

Which makes these computer monitors using inferior technology just look stupidly overpriced.

Become a Patron!
Back