Atari 400 Mini Launches Today with 25 Classic Atari Games

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
THE400 Mini, a half-sized version of Atari's 8-bit, 1979 computer console that includes 25 classic Atari games, including Millipede, Star Raiders II, and more, is now available, PLAION and Retro Games have announced.

See full article...

There's my 1st computer. My dad helped me upgrade it with a 48K ram kit that was actually a 32K card/pcb that you had to solder the additional 16K onto. Later got a mechanical-type keyboard for it which was a total pia to install because the old-style connectors were not re-enforced with anything and the ribbon had like 50 pins on it you had to manually align and plug into the board. Throughout the years we added plethora of component upgrades including multiple tape drives, disk drives, 1st color printer, thermal printers, the interface accessory, and more. At one point I even remember swapping out the RF connector that was internally attached and adding a coaxial for better image quality. I still curse you DOS 3.0 and the games you broke back then!

Just to add. A friend of a friend back then had access to someone at Lucas Games and had got me early copies of a few games. One of them was actually based on movie The Last Star Fighter, also had Behind Jaggi Lines and Ballblazer. Those were so much fun which. I guess LST/BJL was later repackaged as Star Raiders II but also as Rescue on Fractalus!. Years later I read about another Star Wars game that basically keep most of the same plot. I don't really know the DNA behind them all but spent hundreds of hours replaying those games and they had pretty amazing graphics for the time.

I'm honestly surprised that there's enough of a market for this retro stuff. I've gone through my phases with it and yeah, you can pretty much find most it, legally, all over the internet for free or close to.

I'm honestly surprised that there's enough of a market for this retro stuff. I've gone through my phases with it and yeah, you can pretty much find most it, legally, all over the internet for free or close to.
I do the same thing with the phases. It keeps my attention for a time, then I'm off onto something else after a while.

I do the same thing with the phases. It keeps my attention for a time, then I'm off onto something else after a while.
Yep, my last round was in 2019. Re-played Ultima III / IV a bit but and put in a chunk with M.U.L.E., a game I'd dearly love to see a modern remake (I tried to few attempts that came out in the last decade or two but the original is still the best). I sort of miss Racing Destruction Set but mostly burnt out with car games these days. Kind of miss Pinball Construction Set as well but I imagine a modern version would be far too complex for me to enjoy. I already had hundreds of games back in the day, either store-bought or through friends so moving on isn't so hard given the time already put in.

Sort of the same with those old MS-DOS games. I think most of us have our moments but are essentially done although I would mind a modern remake of Out Of This World.

Become a Patron!
Back