Atari has Suspended Relations with VCS Manufacturer Following Lackluster Sales as Blockchain Ventures Flourish

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The latest incarnation of Atari has seen its share of ups and downs since being revived and its half-year 2022/2023 report tells an interesting tale regarding what has and hasn't worked for the company.

See full article...

I'm a little shocked that basically, NFTs, etc. kept them afloat during a year when many lost their you-know-what with it. I doubt they'll be so lucky for the FY 2nd half though.

Here's the breakdown from their report and I highlighted how hardware/licensing is where they took the hits but blockchain miraculously carried through.

1671655845623.png

Well... I wouldn't say Blockchain carried them. It was a significant line item, and saw some impressive growth - catching up and slightly exceeding licensing -- but now that crypto firms are going belly up left and right, will that be sustainable?

Gaming still carries Atari far and away, but wow Hardware took a nose dive. What were they selling hardware-wise that was getting them that much revenue?

Well... I wouldn't say Blockchain carried them. It was a significant line item, and saw some impressive growth - catching up and slightly exceeding licensing -- but now that crypto firms are going belly up left and right, will that be sustainable?

Gaming still carries Atari far and away, but wow Hardware took a nose dive. What were they selling hardware-wise that was getting them that much revenue?
I'd have to go back and get the details but here's what I remember off the top of my head (but not guaranteeing is totally accurate)

1. Atari VCS possibly renamed to VCS 800, and maybe even different multiple models. An Android or AMD SoC, or similarly based system that was priced $300-400ish and ridiculously underpowered compared to anything in a similar price range.
2. Multiple launch delays due to supply chain(?) and redesigns(?) during production
3. Retro gaming but the hardware that was so limited you were almost better off on your phone

Again, this is just what I remember so take it with a grain, or bucket, of salt.

Become a Patron!
Back