Atomic Heart New Live-Action Trailer Featuring Jensen Ackles Takes a Jab at Hogwarts Legacy

Even if that were the case how would the game know that it is installed on such a machine? In order to find out it would need to conduct extensive data collection on every computer it is on. Which would not go unnoticed. You can monitor what files are being accessed, if Atomic Heart starts scanning your documents it would get caught red handed in an instant .
Pretty sure most anti-cheats do this and more already and most people gleefully let them.

I don't have any knowledge of them being used specifically for nefarious purposes, but ... yeah, those things hoover a ton of miscellaneous data under the guise that just about anything could be hax.

Pretty sure most anti-cheats do this and more already and most people gleefully let them.

I don't have any knowledge of them being used specifically for nefarious purposes, but ... yeah, those things hoover a ton of miscellaneous data under the guise that just about anything could be hax.
From what I've seen modern ones care about what is resident in memory more than anything else. They don't scan hard drives unless it's targeted at the location of the game files.

From what I've seen modern ones care about what is resident in memory more than anything else. They don't scan hard drives unless it's targeted at the location of the game files.
They look at a lot more than just game files.

Here's just one example:

Paranoia < > people believe anything.

A little paranoia is healthy in our connected age.

...and it's only Paranoia if they are not actually out to get you.

I think it is safe to suspect almost every piece of software, every integrated device, and ever app is trying to vacuum up as much information about you as they possibly can, so that the developer can sell it to the highest bidder via data brokers.

That's how the economy works now.

Venture Capitalists will literally reject business plans if they don't adequately cover how they are going to maximize the monetization of user data. If you have a new business idea that in any way involves tech, you simply aren't getting to market unless you vacuum up as much user data you can and sell it. Doing this is not the exception. It is the norm to such an extent that NOT doing so is a rare exception.

So it's not a question of if anymore. Just about 100% of all products (except maybe the open source stuff) is vacuuming up data bout you. The distinction is more how they intend to use it. And I say "intend" because no matter what the intent, once data is collected it becomes a target for misuse, simply because it is valuable. Even if we believe the Googles and Meta's of the world are not lying to us, and simply use the data for anonymous targeting of ads, the very fact that they have the data means that it is a target for misues, both internally and externally to their organization. Anyone remember Facebooks issue with games/apps successfully datamining users?

We are literally living the dystopian no-privacy future right now, but most people just simply refuse to believe it, because the products that are spying on them are "convenient" and they don't want to believe they are harmful.

IMHO, anyone who has worked on, originated or enabled the collection and use of user data and normalization thereof needs to be lined up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Last edited:
So I tried this game for a bit on Game pass, and besides the graphics I was unimpressed. Felt like I was playing a Bioshock remake, which wasn't one of my favorite games, so I uninstalled it and moving on with life.

Checking registered DLL's in the OS is a far shout from scanning everything in a system.
But it’s a lot more than just scanning game files isn’t it? And who’s to say where it stops looking?

So I tried this game for a bit on Game pass, and besides the graphics I was unimpressed. Felt like I was playing a Bioshock remake, which wasn't one of my favorite games, so I uninstalled it and moving on with life.
But you got to give 'em credit for that cursing Babushka, right?

But it’s a lot more than just scanning game files isn’t it? And who’s to say where it stops looking?
Honestly... Not really. Registered dll's load into memory. I don't see an issue there or examining any running processes for known chests. Most don't do that based on streamers that have gotten caught.

Become a Patron!
Back