Avatar Films Arrive on 100 GB 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays on June 20, 2023

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Disney and 20th Century Studios have announced that Avatar: The Way of Water will debut on 4K UHD, Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, and DVD on June 20, 2023, while the original Avatar, which received a remaster last year, will arrive for the first time on 4K UHD in High Dynamic Range to digital retailers and Blu-ray disc on that very same date. According to a list of specifications that 20th Century Studios sent out to AVS Forum and other outlets, the 4K Ultra HD versions of Avatar: The Way of Water and Avatar are being delivered on 100 GB Blu-rays, enabling average bit rates of up to 60.5 Mbps for the definitive home viewing experience. Other key technical features include a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos track, although Dolby Vision doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.

See full article...

I think this one is going to be a Redbox rental for me..... if I can find one anywhere around me. Don't think they do 4k tho which is a bummer

I have to wonder how many 4k blue ray players can actually handle that bitrate?

I am interested in these but I'm not going to bite, yet. To me it was a fiasco when all different versions of the first film and I really did find the uber extended one to be better. The added scenes were kind of cool. Until I know that A. This set has that and B. There's not going to be a another version for the 2nd film, I'm not touching it.
I have to wonder how many 4k blue ray players can actually handle that bitrate?
I think most modern ones can but crappier ones probably have their own way of dealing with dropped frames. The real trick is having the rest of the hardware so you can see and hear the difference.

Become a Patron!
Back