Batgirl and Scoob!: Holiday Haunt Canceled by Warner Bros.

Turns out the screen test of Batgirl went poorly and the $90M they put into it can be deducted, expense wise. Their earnings call had them lowering forward guidance and plans are to combine HBOmax with Discovery+. CEO is trying to right the ship as quickly as possible which is why all the recent big moves.

DC needs to get the team making it's animated movies and just up the game on those.
Bruce Timm and team. A large majority of the ones in recent years are from people that worked with/under him or have come in after but he was the man. There's a bit more to it than that but overall that is the gist of it. I used to track who was making what for years in the late 90s and early 2000s. Andrea Romano (yep, mom of Ray) was his head voice casting agent who got us all those iconic voices of the day. He's the one who did Batman/Superman/Batman Beyond/JL/JLU to name a few. A hero of mine. At the time I was pretty burnt out on DC and he brought me back to the fold.

I'd say there is a worthwhile movie every once in a while among a lot of drivel. Not that I watched them all, I only took a chance on a few of the more interesting ones and even that was hit or miss. From the ones I've seen:

Iron Man : Good
Iron Man II : OK
The Avengers : Good
Iron Man III : I don't remember if I liked it or not.
Guardians of Galaxy : Hated it, didn't even watch till the end.
Avangers : Age of Ultron : Very mediocre, had much more promise than what it delivered
Ant-Man : It wasn't really even about ant-man
Doctor Strange : Hated it, stopped watching before the halfway point.
Avengers Infiniity War : OK
Ant Man and the Wasp : I don't even remember it, didn't leave much of a mark on me.
Black Widow : OK

I'll probably watch Thor Love and thunder when it releases for home viewing, the rest I completely skipped, mainly, because spider man and captain america are way too cringe characters to me. They work in a comic book, but I have not enough suspension of disbelief to take those seriously in live action format.
Yep, in the end, the number$ speak for themselves regardless of our personal tastes or professional reviews, and sure there's been some less than stellar MCU number$ for a few projects, but the majority hit a profitable status and often set records. Warner has had a haphazard approach to its DC properties and its branding has suffered immensely from it. I've no doubt that Disney's Marvel revenue will continue to drop due to fatigue but currently, it is still a juggernaut regardless of who doesn't like them.

combine HBOmax with Discovery+
I was wondering how long it'd take for that to happen. Past leadership seems to just have thought they could just throw seeds in any direction along with money to make things grow without ever truly researching each market. Prior to HBOMax there were like what, 3 or 4 different HBO app/services? Then comes the Discovery buyout which to some degree just recreates that same strategy by not instantly absorbing it. It's going to be a long and interesting year for the folks at Warner. I think this is only the beginning, from The CW to Discovery, to all the things they have their hands on I'm expecting a lot of drastic changes. It's hard to keep track of all the brush fires they've got going or the ships taking water.

DC needs to get the team making it's animated movies and just up the game on those. They are fun to watch, good stories, and well voice acted not to mention drawn. No need for uber stars all over the place other than some voice acting and no chance of them getting hurt delaying production due to the movie.

I will say the DC Animated movies have been on average better than the live action adaptations.
The animated side of things is where DC has always outshined Marvel.

I'd say there is a worthwhile movie every once in a while among a lot of drivel. Not that I watched them all, I only took a chance on a few of the more interesting ones and even that was hit or miss. From the ones I've seen:

Iron Man : Good
Iron Man II : OK
The Avengers : Good
Iron Man III : I don't remember if I liked it or not.
Guardians of Galaxy : Hated it, didn't even watch till the end.
Avangers : Age of Ultron : Very mediocre, had much more promise than what it delivered
Ant-Man : It wasn't really even about ant-man
Doctor Strange : Hated it, stopped watching before the halfway point.
Avengers Infiniity War : OK
Ant Man and the Wasp : I don't even remember it, didn't leave much of a mark on me.
Black Widow : OK

I'll probably watch Thor Love and thunder when it releases for home viewing, the rest I completely skipped, mainly, because spider man and captain america are way too cringe characters to me. They work in a comic book, but I have not enough suspension of disbelief to take those seriously in live action format.

I don't usually like super hero films, whether they are Marvel or DC universe , but I actually quite enjoyed both of the Guardians of the Galaxy films, mostly for their humor. I enjoyed both Deadpool films as well, as well as the first Venom film (haven't seen the second yet) for the same reason. The humor was what did it.

That said, I have never read a Marvel or DC comic book in my life. Comic books were banned in my house growing up for their potential of harming kids reading abilities, and I never saw any reason to read comic books once I was older.

So I came into these films with a completely blank slate. Maybe not having any background expectations helped. There is nothing worse than when you are a fan of something, and they make arbitrary changes that just make it feel "wrong".

I don't usually like super hero films, whether they are Marvel or DC universe , but I actually quite enjoyed both of the Guardians of the Galaxy films, mostly for their humor. I enjoyed both Deadpool films as well, as well as the first Venom film (haven't seen the second yet) for the same reason. The humor was what did it.

That said, I have never read a Marvel or DC comic book in my life. Comic books were banned in my house growing up for their potential of harming kids reading abilities, and I never saw any reason to read comic books once I was older.

So I came into these films with a completely blank slate. Maybe not having any background expectations helped. There is nothing worse than when you are a fan of something, and they make arbitrary changes that just make it feel "wrong".
The good thing about comics is that they usually have a large multi-verse which allows them to showcase different versions of the same character. Primarily, it was a tool to help different writers retcon and get around the fact that other writers did things differently. It also created a way for entire reboots of the timeline periodically.

Being used to that, I know a lot about the major comic book characters, but I'm good with some changes as long as the character remains who they are supposed to be at their core. For the most part, Marvel has succeeded in this regard even if the events are considerably truncated for film. With DC, it's been a much more mixed bag. However, I've enjoyed a few of those films as well.

I've no doubt that Disney's Marvel revenue will continue to drop due to fatigue but currently, it is still a juggernaut regardless of who doesn't like them.
I don't know how anyone can still take the fatigue argument seriously. It was BS with Star Wars, it is BS in the MCU as well. It falls apart when you see how actually well written movies like Spider Man no way home perform.

The good thing about comics is that they usually have a large multi-verse which allows them to showcase different versions of the same character. Primarily, it was a tool to help different writers retcon and get around the fact that other writers did things differently. It also created a way for entire reboots of the timeline periodically.
That's not a good thing at all. If they want a different character, then make a different character, why rewrite an existing one? It makes no sense.

I'll bake bread, but it's not bread, I just call it that, because I'm rebooting the recipe. LOL

I think Guardians of the Galaxy was too cheesy and tryhard. I liked the humour and 4th wall breaking in Deadpool, but it expended all the mileage in that gimmick. And as such I think Deadpool 2 was terrible, it tries to do the same, but no joke is funny when told a second time, no matter how exaggerated.
What? How does reading harm reading abilities? I've had a few Superman and Spider Man comics, I think they were sent to me by my US relatives. And I've been kicking myself ever since as they all got lost somewhere between then and now, those classic issues might even be rare for all I know.
It is the same for me, I remember nothing about any of the characters. But I still expect good writing, and most comic based movies fail at that miserably.

Here in Belgium we did not have superhero comics, most of our comics were ab out "smart" kids that on occasion got help from a superstrong friend or a supersmart professor if required.

1659700052284.png
1659700314040.png
1659700451015.png

A lot of those older ones would also not work anymore in the current climate due to how they portrayed certain groups of people

I don't know how anyone can still take the fatigue argument seriously. It was BS with Star Wars, it is BS in the MCU as well. It falls apart when you see how actually well written movies like Spider Man no way home perform.
Spider-Man No Way Home had the advantage of a pandemic and lack of any real competition. It also had the novelty of mixing characters from three different generations into one movie which drew fans from various age group demographics for that nostalgic feeling. The MCU movies are still doing well but neither Dr. Strange nor Thor managed to perform similarly, although both still did have impressive numbers compared to various other DC or Sony projects (Morbius). The fact that Sony keeps delaying the next Spider-verse animated movie despite all the awards the first one won points to them rethinking things as well.

Star Wars, well I'm sure the folks who pulled the plug on Yoda and all those other projects felt differently after Solo bombed and by the time they finished the latest trilogy, which did break some records, many expressed their dissatisfaction leading to an all-out halt on theatrical releases. Disney saw the writing on the wall and has, for now, retooled the franchise into one giant streaming series while the theatrical projects have become the stuff of rumors that may or may not ever see the light of day.

From fans to professional reviewers there are many bemoaning the onslaught of movies that Kevin Feige announced at comic-con. A blitz doesn't quite describe it. Meanwhile, DC has announced, now I'm awaiting the cancellation news, of such things as Booster Gold and other craptastic characters. Aquaman 2 (this could be a successful sequel but has its Heard drama to deal with) and The Flash (assuming it doesn't get pulled because of all the Ezra drama) are on their way and Wonder Woman 3 is in development (but both Gal and Jenkins are keeping quiet after the mixed feelings from the 2nd). Sony has Madame Web, Kraven, Leto pushing for Morbius 2, and a few other things it thought it could pull off as well. If we get around 20+ superhero movies in the next 24 months pretty sure all will feel fatigued except for a few exceptions.

Here in Belgium we did not have superhero comics, most of our comics were ab out "smart" kids that on occasion got help from a superstrong friend or a supersmart professor if required.

View attachment 1831
View attachment 1832
View attachment 1834

A lot of those older ones would also not work anymore in the current climate due to how they portrayed certain groups of people
I can't remember who anymore but I know we had stuff like that in the U.S. from 40's-60's.

Spider-Man No Way Home had the advantage of a pandemic and lack of any real competition.
And the Eternals or Shang chi didn't? I'm not mentioning Black Widow because it got an early streaming release.
It also had the novelty of mixing characters from three different generations into one movie which drew fans from various age group demographics for that nostalgic feeling.
What that really shows is if a movie is good quality and aimed to please the fans it will perform well. Fatigue is a myth invented by people trying to defend the lackluster performance of their mediocre or worse movies. There could be 100 new MCU movies in a year, if they were all brilliant masterpieces people would watch them all without hesitation. It's not like they just hung their fatigue up for No way home. No, it was a movie they were interested in, and liked, so the good word of mouth carried the movie for weeks on top of the good initial performance.
The MCU movies are still doing well but neither Dr. Strange nor Thor managed to perform similarly, although both still did have impressive numbers compared to various other DC or Sony projects (Morbius). The fact that Sony keeps delaying the next Spider-verse animated movie despite all the awards the first one won points to them rethinking things as well.
The audience is getting tired, but it's not from mcu movies, it's from low quality movies. And Warner seems to be the first to act, on that, possibly because of how dire straits they are in. Disney can afford a few more years of blunders before they are forced to course correct.
Star Wars, well I'm sure the folks who pulled the plug on Yoda and all those other projects felt differently after Solo bombed and by the time they finished the latest trilogy, which did break some records, many expressed their dissatisfaction leading to an all-out halt on theatrical releases. Disney saw the writing on the wall and has, for now, retooled the franchise into one giant streaming series while the theatrical projects have become the stuff of rumors that may or may not ever see the light of day.
They essentielly reduced the property into a mediocre TV show level, and they are trying to spin it as a win. I mean look at the state of Star Wars merchandise, that's the real indicator of fan enthusiasm.
From fans to professional reviewers there are many bemoaning the onslaught of movies that Kevin Feige announced at comic-con.
I'd bet you anything that nobody would be bemoaning the number of projects announced if the track record of phase 4 was as good as the previous ones.

And the Eternals or Shang chi didn't? I'm not mentioning Black Widow because it got an early streaming release.

What that really shows is if a movie is good quality and aimed to please the fans it will perform well. Fatigue is a myth invented by people trying to defend the lackluster performance of their mediocre or worse movies. There could be 100 new MCU movies in a year, if they were all brilliant masterpieces people would watch them all without hesitation. It's not like they just hung their fatigue up for No way home. No, it was a movie they were interested in, and liked, so the good word of mouth carried the movie for weeks on top of the good initial performance.

The audience is getting tired, but it's not from mcu movies, it's from low quality movies. And Warner seems to be the first to act, on that, possibly because of how dire straits they are in. Disney can afford a few more years of blunders before they are forced to course correct.

They essentielly reduced the property into a mediocre TV show level, and they are trying to spin it as a win. I mean look at the state of Star Wars merchandise, that's the real indicator of fan enthusiasm.

I'd bet you anything that nobody would be bemoaning the number of projects announced if the track record of phase 4 was as good as the previous ones.
Not denying the quality issues but going back to your own experiences of what you walked out of and why only shows how our personal opinions on quality are subjective. Many of those movies broke records regardless if any of us in this thread liked or disliked them. There have been some projects that people thought would do well but flopped like Eternals. Many thought Shang Chi would flop but it did great. Black Widow was almost doomed from the start as that iron went cold years ago, I'm sorry, I couldn't stand that movie. It should've been launched between Iron Man 1 and 2, not after the character was dead. Again, going back to this thread and Zaslav's actions, he is looking at the numbers, not what people claim is quality, for his decisions and that is why Batgirl and many shows have been chopped.

Spider-Man No Way Home had the advantage of a pandemic and lack of any real competition. It also had the novelty of mixing characters from three different generations into one movie which drew fans from various age group demographics for that nostalgic feeling. The MCU movies are still doing well but neither Dr. Strange nor Thor managed to perform similarly, although both still did have impressive numbers compared to various other DC or Sony projects (Morbius). The fact that Sony keeps delaying the next Spider-verse animated movie despite all the awards the first one won points to them rethinking things as well.

From fans to professional reviewers there are many bemoaning the onslaught of movies that Kevin Feige announced at comic-con. A blitz doesn't quite describe it. Meanwhile, DC has announced, now I'm awaiting the cancellation news, of such things as Booster Gold and other craptastic characters. Aquaman 2 (this could be a successful sequel but has its Heard drama to deal with) and The Flash (assuming it doesn't get pulled because of all the Ezra drama) are on their way and Wonder Woman 3 is in development (but both Gal and Jenkins are keeping quiet after the mixed feelings from the 2nd). Sony has Madame Web, Kraven, Leto pushing for Morbius 2, and a few other things it thought it could pull off as well. If we get around 20+ superhero movies in the next 24 months pretty sure all will feel fatigued except for a few exceptions.
I liked the super hero movie craze as much as anyone but its almost as if that's all that Hollywood produces at this point. Even I've given up keeping up with all of them and I'm tired of them.

Last edited:

View attachment 1831
View attachment 1832
View attachment 1834

It's funny you should mention that, as some of the only comics I ever got my hands on as a kid were Tintin.

Those you posted look like the same art style.

Comics can be seriously deep reading. And they can also be ridiculously cheesy pulp. And at times they can be great art. Sometimes with the same cast of players...

I wouldn't just paint them all with the same brush. It depends on the author and artist.

I liked the super hero movie craze as much as anyone but its almost as if that's all that Hollywood produces at this point. Even I've given up keeping up with all of them and I'm tired of them.
I think everyone knows at this point there was a time I was pretty hardcore with it and I'm burned out. There are only a few projects I'd like to see and to my knowledge are not in the works but at this point, I consider it a good thing. The other side of it all is that I used to be somewhat obsessive in getting physical copies of things even if I didn't like them just to keep the collection complete. I realized about six months ago I never actually got the last SW movie and decided why bother. That's kind of huge for me since I've bought just about everything in every media form since the 80s. It's far from being the only one either as I haven't gotten the new Dr. Strange, even though I did like it, either along with either Suicide Squad (liked the JG one) movie, The Batman (really liked it but not sure when I'll be in the mood to watch again), and many more I can't remember right now. I suppose streaming is partly to blame but also that I'm just no longer in the mood to re-watch them.

I just remembered the other craptastic project that was previously greenlit at DC/Warner : Blue Beetle.

Firstly,
Can I say that I am disappointed that this was not some sort of Batman and Scooby Doo universe crossover? :p

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Now that would've been something.

You know, my brain has already subconsciously created a theme song for this mashup, based on the melody and general structure of the 90's Cartoon Network cartoon my younger siblings used to watch, "Sharky and George".

It's something I haven't heard since the 90's, when it was something I wasn't paying close attention to in the first place, but now it's playing on repeat in my head.

I guess that's just how my brain works. There is a very good chance I have an undiagnosed case of severe ADHD :p

I try not to make sense out of what goes on in the entertainment industry. It wouldn't have surprised me to read that the new Scooby film was canceled because Warner Brothers ran out of Scooby Snacks™ before its completion. Scooby Doo, where are you?
I enjoyed those as well for similar reasons, with the exception of Venom, which I haven't seen. The Guardians of the Galaxy films were probably my favorite of those, if I had to choose. Rocket was great. I suppose I'll have to give Venom a shot, seeing that it has the Zarathustra seal of approval. :)
I tried on several occasions (in my youth) to read comic books, but never found them engaging. The artwork, while impressive, wasn't an effective storytelling device. But that's just me. I did have some friends that read them and they were well-adjusted, intelligent people, so no offense is intended toward comic book fans. At the time, it also felt as though the comic book industry had moved on to selling speculative investments similar to sports trading cards, as opposed to something intended for consumption.

Become a Patron!
Back