Batman Is Irrelevant If He Can’t Kill, Director Zack Snyder Says

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice director Zack Snyder has surfaced on a new episode of the Joe Rogan Experience, and with it comes another explanation from the 58-year-old filmmaker as to why he made Batman—contrary to his usual depictions, including those in Christopher Nolan's acclaimed Batman Trilogy—kill in his films.

See full article...

This is an example of someone who doesn't understand the source material and does not respect it. This is why he is the wrong choice to make a Batman film.

He's the wrong choice for anything since he can't write or direct. The guy is the king of talentless hacks in an industry filled to the brim with talentless hacks. He's a passable cinematographer as long as there's someone above him to reign in the stupid when he gets out of control.

How did you guys feel about Tim Burton's Batman killing fools left and right? Like that bomb the Batmobile drops at the factory, pretty sure at least a few guys were taken out by that.

How did you guys feel about Tim Burton's Batman killing fools left and right? Like that bomb the Batmobile drops at the factory, pretty sure at least a few guys were taken out by that.
True but at least there was some doubt about it or at least not heavily focused on.

This is the same thing that happened with Captain America back in the 80s/90s when someone decided they'd finally have him use a gun. It was pretty controversial for fans at the time because the character had previously written to show they wouldn't. In the end, it didn't mean much because it wasn't executed very well, IMHO, but for both of these that is the key. ZS seems to obsess about shock moments which really numbs the experience after a point. I still haven't made it through his Netflix movie, got halfway, and was truly bored beyond belief. His JL cut is a kind of torture as well since I do like some of the content but otherwise am bored again with it.

I'm against Batman killing, but not against him incorporating some creative torture interrogating, or Cap using guns (and for the record not remotely against gun ownership) but some folks just give up on finding ways to write good stories for them. I think it's important to have contrasts of characters and when they all ultimately behave the same way it becomes pointless.

Rebel moon was so bad.. it would have been good if it just needed a sepia color filter to be considered good.

Rebel moon was so bad.. it would have been good if it just needed a sepia color filter to be considered good.
Was it worse than Suckerpunch? Because I think Suckerpunch was one of the worst movies to ever get a traditional release in theaters.

Was it worse than Suckerpunch? Because I think Suckerpunch was one of the worst movies to ever get a traditional release in theaters.
Suckerpunch had cheesecake, I'll be honest that's why I watched it and ultimately thought it was ok. Rebel Moon.... hot garbage. And the color of hot garbage too!

If Sucker Punch is a 10, then Rebel moon is minus infinite. The most important difference is that Sucker Punch had ambiguity on its side, you don't have to take it at face value. Rebel Moon however is completely serious. Snyder might intended Sucker Punch to be serious as well, so it might be a fluke that it can be interpreted differently, but still it makes a world of difference. Plus it had eyecandy and visuals on its side. Rebel Moon is brown washed out diarrhea, with the main protagonist being mid at best.

Batman didn't do that. In fact the only death he caused on screen was the Joker's. Other deaths were implied, but not explicitly shown. Beyond that, I take each film or series as a universe of its own and don't necessarily mind them going off script. What I disagree with is Nolan's statement that Batman is irrelevant if he can't kill. It only proves he doesn't understand the character, and has no idea how to make a movie with him that stays true to the source material.

Batman didn't do that. In fact the only death he caused on screen was the Joker's. Other deaths were implied, but not explicitly shown. Beyond that, I take each film or series as a universe of its own and don't necessarily mind them going off script. What I disagree with is Nolan's statement that Batman is irrelevant if he can't kill. It only proves he doesn't understand the character, and has no idea how to make a movie with him that stays true to the source material.

Just mor evidence that he's an idiot and couldn't construct a creative narrative, even when 90% of it is handed to him, to save his life.

Become a Patron!
Back