Borderlands 4 Teased by Randy Pitchford as Live-Action Movie Flops at Box Office with $8.8 Million Opening

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Borderlands 4, the next mainline installment of the looter shooter video game series from Gearbox Software, won't disappoint and will likely achieve the same critical acclaim that the previous games in the series, including 2019's Borderlands 3, have captured, according to a new tweet from Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford about how his team has been working "extra hard four" the latest game in the franchise.

See full article...

Maybe don't try to release back to back irreverent comedy movies when the one you're going against was freakin deadpool 3.

That would be like trying to release a action movie two weeks after John Wick came out. What action movie?

Didn't love BL3. Didn't finish. Did BL2 twice with diff characters. We'll see what BL4 has to offer but I'm not holding any breath and sure as hell not pre-ordering.

I played through Borderlands, Borderlands 2 and Borderlands 3, but only because I was bored.

I didn't think the Borderlands universe had enough meat on it to support a live action movie.

I tend to think that is the case for most video games, but there are franchises that are WAY better suited to a movie than Borderlands.

I was actually pretty excited when I heard that they were working on a Deus Ex film years ago, but that project must have died as I have heard nothing about it in years now.

I'd probably also watch a movie set in the Metro 2033 universe. Or one set in the STALKER universe.

Short of those - however - I'm struggling to think of any that would work for me.

I didn't think the Borderlands universe had enough meat on it to support a live action movie.
I politely disagree, you could easily make half a dozen fims out of it, but obviously you would need to do a better job then these guys did.

I did play around 777 hours of BL2 and around 1100 hours in BL3 so I may be a bit biased.

Also not saying oscar worthy ones, but some more then decent action movies.

I played through Borderlands, Borderlands 2 and Borderlands 3, but only because I was bored.

I tend to think that is the case for most video games, but there are franchises that are WAY better suited to a movie than Borderlands.

I was actually pretty excited when I heard that they were working on a Deus Ex film years ago, but that project must have died as I have heard nothing about it in years now.

I'd probably also watch a movie set in the Metro 2033 universe. Or one set in the STALKER universe.

Short of those - however - I'm struggling to think of any that would work for me.

I wish they'd make one on the Unreal universe.

...but I'm an Unreal fanboy. So I might be a little biased.

Unreal had a story? I just remember two towers…

Unreal, Unreal II: The Awakening are both story games. lol

Just most people only played the multiplayer game that didn't really have much of a story other than the history of how it came to be.

Additionally, two girls was pretty popular back in the day. I'm sure two towers can get creative as well. LOL

A Deus Ex movie could be interesting but video game movies have a pretty bad track record, so I have little faith

It started before him, thanks to movies like the live-action Street Fighter, the live-action Super Mario Bros, and the first two Mortal Kombat movies. But Uwe Boll certainly contributed the most towards that reputation.
Don't forget the Double Dragon movie, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and the most awful adaptation to date: Wing Commander. These all came before Uwe Boll started making terrible video game to film adaptations. He didn't start making those trash films until around 2003.

The first Mortal Kombat movie had some questionable CG even for its day, but was generally regarded as the one good video game to film adaptation at the time. The second movie on the other hand had the same reputation as all the rest of them.

Don't forget the Double Dragon movie, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and the most awful adaptation to date: Wing Commander.
Oh gawd, I completely forgot about Wing Commander. My mind blocked that one out. Also forgot about Double Dragon. That's another one I could have gone without remembering. Tomb Raider at the time I remember thinking it wasn't absolutely terrible, but that was coming after movies like Street Fighter and SMB so the bar was already very low. I've never watched any of the RE live-action movies. They all look like garbage.

Never watched DD, it just looked bad. Never got into Jean Claude movies so Street Fighter wasn't even in considerations. It's funny, I bet a lot of us have repressed memories of horrible movies from the late 80s/early 90s the we're trying to block out or have forgotten.

Wing Commander was one of those that I blocked out. Loved the III and IV games which were basically a big FMV with some gameplay in between.

I've never watched any of the RE live-action movies.
Imho the resident evil movies are not bad, but more popcorn zombieflick then anything else, so if you are not into that better skip them, but for mindless entertainement where the story is more of an aftertought they are fine.

Don't forget the Double Dragon movie, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and the most awful adaptation to date: Wing Commander. These all came before Uwe Boll started making terrible video game to film adaptations. He didn't start making those trash films until around 2003.

The first Mortal Kombat movie had some questionable CG even for its day, but was generally regarded as the one good video game to film adaptation at the time. The second movie on the other hand had the same reputation as all the rest of them.
I kind a liked the Wing Commander movie, one of my favorite games back then.

I kind a liked the Wing Commander movie, one of my favorite games back then.
How? The movie was terrible. The bad love story, inconsistent subtitle fonts for the alien dialog. Nothing looked like anything in the games, etc. It's so bad.

and then there's Doom (with The Rock). Not the worst but not good either. I think I tried to watch the Netflix one, at least having on in the background one morning while I was doing chores, and even then turned it off after about 30 minutes.

Become a Patron!
Back