Borderlands Movie Is a “Disaster,” Critics Say

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Borderlands, the new live-action film inspired by Gearbox Software and 2K's best-selling looter shooter series, may not be the video game adaptation that fans have been waiting for, according to early reactions that have been shared by several critics, including some who have described the film as being a "disaster."

See full article...

Professional mainstream critics are so out of touch with actual audiences that I automatically distrust anything they say.

A borderlands movie being a disaster wouldn't be surprising in the slightest. Also wasn't this movie greenlit during the peak woke era? I haven't seen it but heard that the last game was also woke.

I'm pretty sure I seen worse movies with better reviews then this one (probably), not going to the movies for this one anyways, but will still end up watching it sometime.

I'm on the fence with this one and honestly never really got into the games, although I do have them all from Epic/Steam or something. I will say the previews didn't give me much hope but I will try to give it a watch when it hits streaming.

This is a story as old as time itself. I was very interested in Borderlands during the development of the first game, right up to the point when they inexplicably decided to switch to cell shaded graphics. I was immediately out after that. I did end up playing the game much later and did not like it at all, and not just the graphics. It was probably my first looter shooter experience, and it was too much already.

This means I have zero expectations from a movie, if I'd see it it would be as a stand alone product.

I did end up playing the game much later and did not like it at all, and not just the graphics. It was probably my first looter shooter experience, and it was too much already.
I consider myself a fan of the games, but not the first one, that one is pretty meh compared to the rest. Story wise the 2nd one is probably the best one, but the slag mechanic you need to use on the new game modes to get anywhere is a big flaw imo and that the normal mode does not allow you to get to max lvl, it stops scaling at a certain point.

The pre sequel is decent but made by another team and it shows, story is servicable, gameplay is decent, the oxygen and low gravity is more of a gimmick then tought trough.

the 3rd one is by far the best gameplay wise but the bad guys don't compare to handsome jack from game 2 great qol improvements, lot's of content and varied vault hunters.

I would not discard the franchise on the first game is what I'm taking a long way to say.

It all started with the horrible casting, and I'm sure it went downhill from there.

I would not discard the franchise on the first game is what I'm taking a long way to say.
That's OK, I've tried the second one too and it was as if someone designed it to check every box I dislike about games.

I played through the first game at a LANParty, and honestly the fun of playing co-op was all that could get us through it. The 2nd game I couldn't be bothered to finish. During COVID-19 I started a run through the 3rd game with a friend in local co-op (I was using one of his spare PCs), cuz we both got free copies, but we never did finish that run. Never played any of the other games. But yyeeaahh the series just isn't for me.

It doesn't matter how good or bad the video game series itself is. A movie or show based on a video game IP is gonna be @ss. Not that I am one to believe critics, but with this movie I could easily see it being a piece of trash. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. It looked like it was gonna be crap from the moment they showed the first images, the first trailer.

I have a few of the games, but never really cared for them TBH. The movie is nothing I'm interested in either.

Last edited:
I'm hearing its legitimately terrible. I've not even heard of any mention of wokeness or anything. It's just bad. Badly written, badly acted, bad special effects, etc.

It doesn't matter how good or bad the video game series itself is. A movie or show based on a video game IP is gonna be @ss. Not that I am one to believe critics, but with this movie I could easily see it being a piece of trash. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. It looked like it was gonna be crap from the moment they showed the first images, the first trailer.
I would disagree fallout series has been good.

I would disagree fallout series has been good.
It's nice looking and visually faithful to the Bethesda games, I think that's what makes people think that it is actually good. But the story, the plot, and the characters are awful. "Just turn off your brain and enjoy it" - No, I need my brain to enjoy something, a good TV series is good because it makes you think. If you are not allowed to think about the plot then all that remains are the visuals. Hence my first point.

It's nice looking and visually faithful to the Bethesda games, I think that's what makes people think that it is actually good. But the story, the plot, and the characters are awful. "Just turn off your brain and enjoy it" - No, I need my brain to enjoy something, a good TV series is good because it makes you think. If you are not allowed to think about the plot then all that remains are the visuals. Hence my first point.
The Fallout TV show aligns pretty well with the Fallout games, as far as story goes.

I disagree I thought the characters were good and interesting. That the plot was decent. And that I enjoyed the setting wrapped around the whole thing. Even the story was good.

In my opinion you're wrong and simply couldn't understand the story that was there. And that's ok. Not everyone is capable of that.

I disagree I thought the characters were good and interesting. That the plot was decent. And that I enjoyed the setting wrapped around the whole thing. Even the story was good.

In my opinion you're wrong and simply couldn't understand the story that was there. And that's ok. Not everyone is capable of that.
Really? The you're just too stupid to understand defense? So why shouldn't I come back with you're too stupid to see all the plotholes contradictions plot contrivances and awful paper thin characters then? 1. Because I don't automatically assume the worst of someone who dares to have a different opinion. 2. Because it leads to nowhere but a shouting match.

So instead here is a video pointing out the many problems with the series.

Now if your answer is "I don't need to listen to a 2 hour video to tell me what's wrong with it" - That's fine, you can remain ignorant of the flaws, and we can agree to disagree. But then you have to retract the accusation that it is objectively great and I'm just too stupid to understand it.

And please don't bother accusing me with taking my opinions from someone else. I'm posting the video because it is easier than trying to accurately describe the problems in my own words. As to do that I'd need to re-watch the series so I don't get any details wrong. And no offense, but changing a few people's opinions on a forum is not worth that kind of time investment.

I'm also not claiming that I noticed all the problems described in the video when viewing the show. I'm not that observant, probably nobody is. No, this video was made through the collaboration of at least half a dozen people some of whom were very familiar with fallout lore and far more observant than the casual viewer like me. But the biggest issues I did notice are also described in the video.

I'm just going to say that I enjoyed it despite any flaws or plot holes. I'm really not a fan of Bethesda games and it's definitely not for a lack of trying as I have bought more than a few of their games at full price only to regret it afterward but this show was a bit more approachable for me. To each their own but given there are barely a half dozen shows in 2023-2024 that I've liked this was one that didn't leave me feeling like I wasted my time watching it or strained my patience to enjoy (like most Marvel/SW/ST/Netflix shows).

Not by any means saying this is a masterpiece or even a great show but when these kinds of discussions come up I always think about this since I was just like the gang here and honestly in shock when the following point was made.

Become a Patron!
Back