Bowser Explains Why The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom for Nintendo Switch Costs $69.99

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will be released for the Nintendo Switch on May 12, 2023, and while it's promised to deliver an epic adventure across the land and skies of Hyrule, Nintendo fans aren't too happy about the fact that it will cost $69.99, the highest that Nintendo has ever charged for a standard Switch release. Doug Bowser, who replaced Reggie Fils-Aimé as the head of Nintendo of America in 2019, has now explained why in an insider Q&A for the Associated Press, telling the publication that the price reflects the breadth of the new Zelda game, which has been described as being incredibly full and deeply immersive. Bowser claimed that this is already a fairly common pricing model, and while he was also asked about Nintendo's future hardware plans, he has nothing to share about a Switch successor at this time.

See full article...

Well Ill buy it. And thats probably why its 70 bucks. Zelda BOW is in the top games for me, very vey high on the list.

As I've said in other threads where the new $70 launch price standard for games has been discussed, they can charge whatever the f*ck they want, makes no difference to me cuz I wait until games go on deep sales before I purchase them. Of course we are talking about Nintendo here, where the cheapest sale prices have often been $40, which is barely a sale. It still astounds me that game companies wonder why people resort to "community demos."

I know it's just a sign of how old I am but every time I look at this headline I think about Sha Na Na.

I'm sure 5 years after release, Nintendo will offer a heavily discounted seasonal promotion for $10 off this title.

That's my biggest annoyance about this updated pricing, sure the other companies charge that much for their first party titles (actually, not sure about MS), but they also offer heavy discounts on their software a few months after release. It'd be nice if Nintendo also adopted that approach from their competitors too.

In other thoughts, is it just coincidence that his last name is the same as that of a character in Nintendo's Mario-related universe?
Not just any character - the main villain at that!

I can just imagine how that interview went:

Nintendo: Welcome to the interview Mr.... Bowser?
Doug: Yes. Hi, nice to m---
Nintendo: You're hired.

I read the title and clicked expecting to watch a video animation of the Mario Bowser character mock-ranting about Nintendo's OTHER intellectual property and its market price point. Didn't happen. Such disappoint.

Become a Patron!
Back