Brent Justice Intro and GPU Review Format

Congrats guys a getting up and running. I know it's only the beginning but your shared experiences poise you for success even though it will still be an uphill battle.

I'm hoping that when you do get to youtube posting that you'll offer 4k streams and that crispness is really nice when looking at the hardware and screen shots.

Just wondering if there's plans down the road for possible display reveiws as well? I know rtings seems to have this mostly covered but over the last 5+ years I've really come to see how much it can affect immersion and perception of both game and gpu metrics. I've actually had to cut myself off from purchasing more displays since I'm now accumulating a closet full. I've got 3 or 4 no longer in use. It just seems like there's a gap between the sites that test gpu's and those that dabble in displays and with the wide ecosystem we have today there's plenty to cover.

Really glad to see that 2700x rig getting used. It's still on my potential replacement plans for my 2600k rig.

Just wondering if there's plans down the road for possible display reveiws as well?

Yes. We have talked about it some, but it will certainly be at least a few months or more out. We would want to do it right - meaning properly measure the various metrics promised (color range, brightness, etc), acquire the right tools to do so and then figure out how to properly measure the subjectiveness of the gaming experience to be able to present our findings in a more articulate way than "no sir, I didn't like it."

Yes. We have talked about it some, but it will certainly be at least a few months or more out. We would want to do it right - meaning properly measure the various metrics promised (color range, brightness, etc), acquire the right tools to do so and then figure out how to properly measure the subjectiveness of the gaming experience to be able to present our findings in a more articulate way than "no sir, I didn't like it."

I totally understand. I often check in at rtings and I'm amazed to the depths they go to but, unfortunately, they only just barely even mention actual gaming related performance. Factoring all of these details is both expensive in tools but also time. Add in the often various potential issues of OS, card vendor, or even the game itself, and things go from complicated to a complete mess. I've seen a lot of strange things in recent years since moving to 4k.

This reminds me of the old Beyond 3d reviews using a single card, I use to love those since it took all the politics out of it and more time was spent at the technology and what it meant vice time wasted configuring systems, switching out cards and testing the same thing over and over again.

Can't wait for the first and hopefully years of reviews in the making - good luck Brent!

Thank you. I too am a long time/old school reader of Beyond3D, I learned a lot there and enjoyed the discussions.

Looking forward to some great reviews. I relied on [H]ardOCP for years for trusted reviews. I still have and use a Ratz pad and even have the Ratz Pad beta pad given out at QuakeCon in 2002 around here somewhere. I also had the pleasure and honor of working security for some fo the [H]ard OCP events at a couple of QuakeCons and have known Kyle Bennet since 2002 although I haven't seen him in years. Hopefully FPS will eventually follow in [H]ardOCP's footsteps and participate in some enthusiast events at various gaming conventions and maybe host some events too. I am a really old fart and don't FPS game much any more (arthritis setting in) but still keep a gaming rig for those occasions when I get in the mood and my hands don't hurt. Good luchk and write some "NO BS" reviews(y)

Awesome, I use to attend QuakeCon back in the day, when it was good..... My best memories are when it was at the Mesquite Convention Center

I was saddened to see [H]ard|OCP "shutdown" .. (still lurk in the forums) ..Glad you guys are keeping on keeping on and I have a new place to read great & thorough reviews on PC hardware ...

I have found a reason to live again ... *sniff* 🌼

Brent Justice? Doesn’t he owe me money? I know I know that name.... Was he on Star Search?

I just want to wish you all the best of luck, and it's very cool to see your talents being put to use reviewing things for the benefit of us all.

I just found this site today. Welcome back Brent, Dan, Paul and Richard. I have been following HardOCP for over 20 years and was sad to see the reviews that I enjoyed for so long would be no more. Until now! So thank you guys for doing this. I have registered on this site today and hopefully you guys will be doing review for another 20+ years! Long live theFPSreview!

Become a Patron!
Back