Case with removable MB tray?

MadMummy76

FPS Junkie
I'm looking for a case with a removable MB tray, are there still any of those?
I've had one about 20 years ago, I don't know if that's still a thing.

What I mean is where the entire MB tray can be slid out with the io shield and installed add-on cards still attached.

I want to do a custom case build, and it would be easier to get a MB tray than to build one from scratch. Or maybe I just get the cheapest case and go at it with an angle grinder?

I used to have a Lian Li case that had a MB tray, but it was an ugly case none the less. No clue if they still make one, but a quick search didn't result anything :(

For a custom project I would go with something like this: https://www.mountainmods.com/product_info.php?products_id=56

MMBATX.jpg

Dont bother with hacking up a cheap case, the questionable sheet metal they use will give you nothing but grief when cutting/drilling/fabricating.
Just not worth it, unless your time is worth nothing :p

Unfortunately I'm in the EU, so none of these US based sellers work for me. Just out of curiosity I've checked mountainmods, and they'd charge $80 for economy shipping, which would bring the total cost to $140 that I additionally have to pay duty and taxes after. Which would bring the final cost to almost $200 :unsure:

Unfortunately I'm in the EU, so none of these US based sellers work for me. Just out of curiosity I've checked mountainmods, and they'd charge $80 for economy shipping, which would bring the total cost to $140 that I additionally have to pay duty and taxes after. Which would bring the final cost to almost $200 :unsure:
Maybe its time for you to buy some tools :)
Cheap bandsaw and set of hole saws can do a lot!

Try looking for open air mining racks or open bench pc cases. Some are pretty pricey, but I bought an open air mining rack with a slide out motherboard tray for like $30 on eBay or whatever local retailer you have.

This is my third or fourth time through this thread. And I'm just here to say this: take pictures!
I have nothing to take pictures of yet. I don't even have a concrete idea on what I want to do. Down to the point that I'm not even sure what material I'd use if I'd actually do it.

That's a nice looking case too...
They're REALLY handy. I've got one I flattened the tray slightly for a bigger EATX board - works great for that. One with a server board in it... and with a 280MM intake up top, if needed, you can get a LOT of cooling for board components too that way. Fully opened they're a test bench, and closed up - they stack. I'll take a pic when I get home, have 2 stacked with my main server and my HTPC next to the TV.

Oh yeah, and the tray? 4 thumbscrews. Comes right out nice and easy that way. It's designed to be taken fully apart to access the lower compartment - even with cables still attached - so you can change layouts/etc. Screws are on the side to make it even easier to disassemble. And the handles make it stupid easy to carry. If they ever discontinue the thing, I'll be buying 4-5 of them to store for later, just so I never run out.

Let me know if there’s anything else you want to see. The top is the server with the big fan. Currently off. Underneath is a TR x399 box.

Attachments

• A589300A-12FB-4CFC-9902-8CC5247CDAC8.jpeg
    A589300A-12FB-4CFC-9902-8CC5247CDAC8.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 10
Yeah yeah. Doesn’t help when the phone decides to do a long exposure night shot.

Become a Patron!
Back