CBS Unveils Plans for Star Trek

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Picard-1024x576.jpg
Image Credit: ViacomCBS

Fresh off the success of ‘Picard‘ ViacomCBS has announced their plans for Star Trek. Launched at the 2nd year anniversary of their streaming service, CBS All Access, it marked the return of Patrick Stewart to the franchise. Too much Star Trek? Not enough Star Trek? Well ViacomCBS is hoping to get it just right with a number of projects in the works. Some previous rumors have been confirmed at their 2019 earnings call. Hearkening back to the days when there were no less than four different series and two generations of movies, we may see a similar recurrence in the coming years.

Star-Trek-Discovery-1024x577.jpg
Image Credit: ViacomCBS

Discovery and its spin offs

Star...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey if it works and the fans and the corporate overlords are all happy I guess that's what counts. I've never been huge into Star Trek.

I was very intrigued with Picard and was very tempted in buying access. Never was a big fan of The Next Generation but enjoyed the series overall. Yet Picard first episode was extremely well done to me.

Loved Voyager and just could not get into Deep Space 9. Discovery 1st episode sucked so that was an easy choice but folks seem to have thought it improved. I hate having to pay for yet another streaming service.

The movies were OK overall, last one was just stupid.

At this point, being about halfway through the season on Picard, I would say:

a) I'm not a Trekkie, but I enjoy good Sci Fi. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

b) Picard is not TNG 2.0, so if that's what you were expecting, sorry.

c) Picard is good decent, but not worth a CBS All Access sub in it's own right and not the best Sci Fi I've ever seen. If you aren't already following it, maybe once the entire season is out, sign up for a 7 day free trial and just binge the season. Patrick Stewart is good, and characters in general are decent, but the show does have some plot issues. It's mostly a nostalgia play for people looking for TNG (especially after Discovery had a somewhat lukewarm reception) - it stands as about average for the Star Trek franchise. You have to have a healthy appetite to suspend notions of disbelief and overlook obvious plot incongruities (or just really, really love JLP) to really get into it.

d) Wish it had been Firefly instead of Star Trek. I'm ready for Altered Carbon Season 2. As far as any Star Trek reboot - they have been really hit of miss for me, and the franchise in general tends to be a bit too preachy and optimistic. I'm not really holding my breath for a new show.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back