Cooler Master Announces Hyper 212 Halo Series CPU Air Coolers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Cooler Master has announced the Hyper 212 Halo Black and Hyper 212 Halo White, new additions to its acclaimed air-cooling line that feature overhauled aesthetics and performance improvements. Both are equipped with the all-new Halo fan, an updated version of the original design that features dual-loop ARGB lighting, larger fan blades, and other benefits. The Hyper 212 Halo Black and White fans are available beginning today, according to a press release from Cooler Master.

See full article...

How long before Microsoft cans this one too?

(joke before someone thinks I believe MS owns CM too)

I use the Hyper 212 Black on my secondary PC. If I wanted to go rgb I would just replace the stock fan.

I have a Hyper 212 LED version cooling the Ryzen 2600x in my server. Back in the day it was a great cooler for the price but hasn't been a contender in cooling with regards to price for a very long time. The heatsink re-design better be substantial to make it useful again, especially if they want to keep the price high.

I have a Hyper 212 LED version cooling the Ryzen 2600x in my server. Back in the day it was a great cooler for the price but hasn't been a contender in cooling with regards to price for a very long time. The heatsink re-design better be substantial to make it useful again, especially if they want to keep the price high.
Gotta agree with this. It was never a great cooler - it was just a decent cooler for a great price. At anything over $25, it's a name brand buy at those higher price points. I see it going for $50 on Amazon right now (mostly because there just isn't any stock and it's resellers trying to cash in on low supply/nostalgia), and at that price point it's ridiculously laughable.

Today's higher end CPUs that are spiking up over (and often times well over) 100W, the 212 isn't even an option any longer for anything other than a budget chip on a office-type load -- and a stock HSF would do just as well there for free.

212 Has been around for a long time, but yeah, if they want to keep any of the rep they had built up with the community, the re-design would have to be substantial. If they could keep a 7600X or something cool enough to not throttle for around $30, that would get my attention.

Definitely agree there.

The cooler was never all that great, but it was substantially cheap making it worth while for most uses. Using custom brackets for the G34 socket it was a great alternative to slap them on those CPUs instead of using loud (or passive) server heatsink/fan combos on them.

I have had good luck with these coolers in the past and even now. They overachieved a lot IMO and were cheap like many have said. My 212 cools my 12400F with no issue, and putting anything bigger or better on that chip just seemed to be a waste.

I used Hyper 212's on both my 4930K and 2600K rigs right up until I retired them and although I couldn't hit higher overclocks I was able to get a totally stable 4.3 GHz on both while maintaining temps in the 50-60c range for almost everything I used them for. Good times and great memories!

I am a 212 fanboy, and I have 3 of them in use. But the competition has surpassed them performance wise, and sometimes pricing.

My main rig still uses this one I got in 2018 for $30. Basically a 212 evo push pull with black top and some red led's. I started with 2700x but upgraded to 5700x, no complaints. Does a decent job and is quiet. If I upgrade to 7900x I'd probably keep it, assuming it's AM5 compatible (I'll have to check the CM site). Pretty sure this one is discontinued by now.

Using old school 212+ on 3700x on my plex server, no issue their either.

edit - holy sh!t, just looked at current pricing of the CM coolers on Newegg, out of control. $50 and up... way up. If I'm dropping over $50 for a new one, I'm looking elsewhere I think

I am a 212 fanboy, and I have 3 of them in use. But the competition has surpassed them performance wise, and sometimes pricing.

My main rig still uses this one I got in 2018 for $30. Basically a 212 evo push pull with black top and some red led's. I started with 2700x but upgraded to 5700x, no complaints. Does a decent job and is quiet. If I upgrade to 7900x I'd probably keep it, assuming it's AM5 compatible (I'll have to check the CM site). Pretty sure this one is discontinued by now.

[/URL]

Using old school 212+ on 3700x on my plex server, no issue their either.

edit - holy sh!t, just looked at current pricing of the CM coolers on Newegg, out of control. $50 and up... way up. If I'm dropping over $50 for a new one, I'm looking elsewhere I think
When I built my 5800x system I originally bought a Scythe Fuma 2 to cool it and it was $55 if memory serves. It's a much better cooler than any Hyper 212 out there and probably one of the price/performance kings yet.

I'm currently running an Enermax LIQmax III 240 AIO on it which cools a bit better than the Fuma 2 even with three fans. I would be using the Fuma 2 except that the Enermax AIO was part of a bundle and after discount and rebate was about $35 so I figured I'd try it out. The Fuma 2 isn't going anywhere because I don't trust water cooling and require a backup.

The Fuma 2 isn't completely comparable since it is a bigger heatsink and won't fit some cases where the Hyper 212 will but for the most part it badly outclasses the Hyper 212 in cooling and value. The Hyper 212 was a great heatsink when it was in the $25 range (which is what I paid for mine while on sale) but at current normal prices it's not worth touching.

Become a Patron!
Back