Cryptocurrency That’s Mined Using Storage Drives Leads to HDD/SSD Panic Buying, Price Increases in Hong Kong

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
samsung-ssd-city-hybrid-1024x576.jpg
Image: Samsung

Graphics cards aren’t the only hardware items being hard hit by the cryptocurrency craze. As Chinese hardware site HKEPC reports, hard drives and solid state drives are now being targeted by miners in Hong Kong due to the increasing popularity of Chia (XCH), a digital coin that’s mined by leveraging the free space of storage devices and their read/write operations. According to Hong Kong authorities, 4 TB to 18 TB drives have been flying off shelves for the past few days, with prices rising from $200 to $600 HKD.

Hard Drive and SSD Shortages Are Imminent If This New Cryptocurrency Blooms https://t.co/40wzU64TMF pic.twitter.com/0RFfSGlU3r— Tom’s Hardware (@tomshardware) April 17, 2021

Recently, a...

Continue reading...

Yeah... hard drives and SSD's... THAT's the ticket! You miners don't need GPUs any more... so stop buying all of them :)

Up next, PSU mining. Sales of 1000w PSUs will go through the roof! MOAR POWER
funny thing is that certain PSUs have been in short supply since COVID started but it can always get worse. @David_Schroth was the one who started letting me know last summer when I hobbled together an old rig for WFH and I told him how I had a spare 1200W laying around.

This is a bloody joke.
And dogecoin has been made legitimate too, after being set up as a laugh to expose the lack of real worth.
What a waste.

Become a Patron!
Back