Crysis Remastered Is Finally Coming to Steam

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
crysis-remastered-wishlist-now-on-steam-1024x576.jpg
Image: Crytek

Crytek released Crysis Remastered on July 23, 2020. Steam users couldn’t have cared less about it, as the PC version launched exclusively for the Epic Games Store following what was presumably a lucrative deal pitched by Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney.

It appears that problem will soon be rectified, as Crysis Remastered has finally been listed on Steam. The release date is unknown, but Crytek has promised that the game will be available on the platform “soon.”

According to a complementary news post, owners of the original Crysis will receive a 30 percent discount on their purchase—but those who don’t own the original can still treat themselves to a discount, as Crysis Remastered will be 20 percent off for the first week of launch.

“Our aim was to upgrade the visual fidelity for a wide range of PCs and to use all the technical capabilities of...

Continue reading...

So what are your guys thoughts? Is this worth it in 2021?

I never played Crysis originally when it came out in 2007(?) I had other **** going on in my life and was in the midst of a 5 year break from PC's and games. I always figured I'd get back to trying it, as everyone was talking about it, but it never happened.

So I'm trying to figure out if Crysis is still an interesting game, or if its only appeal was that it was able to bring a high end PC to its knees in 2007...

So what are your guys thoughts? Is this worth it in 2021?

I never played Crysis originally when it came out in 2007(?) I had other **** going on in my life and was in the midst of a 5 year break from PC's and games. I always figured I'd get back to trying it, as everyone was talking about it, but it never happened.

So I'm trying to figure out if Crysis is still an interesting game, or if its only appeal was that it was able to bring a high end PC to its knees in 2007...
I actually replayed Crysis 1 using my GOG copy earlier this year. Well, I replayed most of it. After the island freezes over is when the game turns to sh1t, so I stopped there. Didn't have the patience to go through those last few levels again. Game is still fun and enjoyable right up until that point though (which is about 6-8 hours of gameplay if I recall correctly). Definitely give the game a whirl, check out the first few levels. By then you'll know if it's for you.

Crysis 2 was meh. Never really cared to revisit it.

I did enjoy Crysis 3, but the first game is still the best one.

Oh, definitely play Crysis Warhead, that one is also a blast.

Last edited:
I played 1,2 and 3 not warhead, 2 and 3 were in my opinion the better games but iirc I did play 2 first.

I did replay all of them a couple years ago and they still hold up somewhat, 1 is more openworld then the other 2 and has a lot of destructable stuff and some more freedom to tackle the game, the end is well a complete 180 from that though, still worth finishing.

No word on the other 2 games, though. Those are probably going to be stuck in limbo like the first one until next year.

Well, I got it, and it is a total bust thus far. Nothing works.

Well, I mean, the menus work, but as soon as I start a campaign, it starts loading, and then crashes to desktop.

Have tried a million things. Verifying game cache, various compatibility modes, you name it.

It is completely broken for me right now.

Nice that it came to Steam and all, but uuuhhh original Crysis 1 and Warhead are on GOG, ssooo... get Remastered on there too.
Anyone know why Crysis 2 is not on GOG? Honestly I was surprised EA even let 1 and Warhead on there.

Well, I mean, the menus work, but as soon as I start a campaign, it starts loading, and then crashes to desktop.

Have tried a million things. Verifying game cache, various compatibility modes, you name it.

Fantastic, off to a great start.

Not to mention Remastered is based on the console version of Crysis 1, so a lot of stuff just isn't on the same level (like the asset destruction), and many things had to be added back in. I can't recall everything, but I think DF got into a lot of it. I'm sure some of the new graphical eye candy is nice though.

I tried doing some searching, and I'm sure you did too, did you try turning off all ray-tracing/DLSS stuff? I know it defeats the purpose but sometimes toggling things can help.

I tried doing some searching, and I'm sure you did too, did you try turning off all ray-tracing/DLSS stuff? I know it defeats the purpose but sometimes toggling things can help.

I don't even have a ray tracing or DLSS compatible video card, so I'd like to hope that wasn't the cause, but I didn't turn it off manually.

I presumed it would be intelligent to know not to use it when not supported, but I will try that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

What do you know.

That did the trick.

I feel a little silly now, but at least it is working.

It's living up to it's memes. It is pretty graphically intensive.

On my Pascal Titan X (boosting to 2025mhz and RAM at 5500) I get mid 40's frame rate at 4k, Very High settings (with DLSS and RT off, of course)

Setting a custom letterboxed 21:9 ultra wide of 3840x1646 makes it playable at just over 60fps, at least in the opening airdrop scene.

Edit:
Averaging 55fps on land. Not quite what I had hoped for, but I am way overdue for a GPU upgrade, so...

Edit2:
Typical frame rate in first mission thus far ranges from 51-58. I don't like going below 60, but it is not as bad with Gsync as it was in the past, and heck, I played all of Mankind Divided in 3840x1646 in 50hz Euro TV mode on my old Samsung JS9000 TV, so it's not THAT bad.

Last edited:
What do you know.

That did the trick.

I feel a little silly now, but at least it is working.

It's living up to it's memes. It is pretty graphically intensive.

On my Pascal Titan X (boosting to 2025mhz and RAM at 5500) I get mid 40's frame rate at 4k, Very High settings (with DLSS and RT off, of course)

Setting a custom letterboxed 21:9 ultra wide of 3840x1646 makes it playable at just over 60fps, at least in the opening airdrop scene.

Edit:
Averaging 55fps on land. Not quite what I had hoped for, but I am way overdue for a GPU upgrade, so...

Edit2:
Typical frame rate in first mission thus far ranges from 51-58. I don't like going below 60, but it is not as bad with Gsync as it was in the past, and heck, I played all of Mankind Divided in 3840x1646 in 50hz Euro TV mode on my old Samsung JS9000 TV, so it's not THAT bad.
The shading settings are really demanding too. Turning those down a bit will help. This game is easily the most VRAM-hungry thing I've seen so far as well. I'd have to go back and check but I've got most things at high/ultra or somesuch with a couple of can it run and my 3090 OC'd to 2025-2040MHz will hold around 55-70fps with DLSS on balance and VRAM hovers around 12-14GB. For kicks, I maxed everything at one point and watched the FPS tank but VRAM usage went over 14GB. The only other games I've seen do that are the last few Resident Evil ones when the quality setting gets turned up with everything else maxed.

edit: I forgot to mention I usually play it at 5120x1440 32:9.

The shading settings are really demanding too. Turning those down a bit will help. This game is easily the most VRAM-hungry thing I've seen so far as well. I'd have to go back and check but I've got most things at high/ultra or somesuch with a couple of can it run and my 3090 OC'd to 2025-2040MHz will hold around 55-70fps with DLSS on balance and VRAM hovers around 12-14GB. For kicks, I maxed everything at one point and watched the FPS tank but VRAM usage went over 14GB. The only other games I've seen do that are the last few Resident Evil ones when the quality setting gets turned up with everything else maxed.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing, but forgot. At all "Very high" but with RT and DLSS disabled at 3840x2160, I saw VRAM usage go up to just over 8GB.

I honestly admit, I did not think I'd ever need 8GB with with my Pascal GPU. Only reason I am seeing it is because I havnt upgraded due to the market nonsense. I still think the 12GB on this Titan was total overkill though. There was no way I was ever going to need that until at least a few generations later. This is why I always think it is silly when people buy GPU's with extra VRAM for "future proofing". Mostly, by the time you need that VRAM, the GPU will be too slow to play at the resolutions that require it.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing, but forgot. At all "Very high" but with RT and DLSS disabled at 3840x2160, I saw VRAM usage go up to just over 8GB.

I honestly admit, I did not think I'd ever need 8GB with with my Pascal GPU. Only reason I am seeing it is because I havnt upgraded due to the market nonsense. I still think the 12GB on this Titan was total overkill though. There was no way I was ever going to need that until at least a few generations later. This is why I always think it is silly when people buy GPU's with extra VRAM for "future proofing". Mostly, by the time you need that VRAM, the GPU will be too slow to play at the resolutions that require it.

Holy crap.

This is at 3840x1646 everything very high except RT and DLSS which are disabled.

PXL_20210921_025401204.jpg

I know just because VRAM is allocated doesn't mean it is actually being actively used, by still...

Last edited:
This is why I always think it is silly when people buy GPU's with extra VRAM for "future proofing"
I agree. I sought out a 3090 for the clock speeds/core specs/etc. not the memory size. Even then I thought that 24 GB was a bit overkill since 16 GB would've been a perfect long-term fit. I suppose there are workload scenarios that will balance and utilize it but for gaming that's pretty much never gonna happen. I know there's a specific formula based on the bus that dictates the allocation sizes for memory but it is shame that most cards are usually mismatched either with too much or too little. It seems like things have been getting even more off-kilter ever since Maxwell. I did see my 1080's in SLI hit their max usage with a few games in 4K but never really saw the 11 GB of a 1080 Ti get used without FPS tanking. Things were a little more balanced with the 2080 Ti but then the 3090 is pretty weird by comparison. There's only a handful of games that ever seem to do this and thanks to the many other improvements that have happened over the years it feels less important now.

Just finished it.

Not a bad game. I had low expectations, and the story and gameplay were better than I expected. Honestly though, I'm not sure 11 hours of gameplay is worth $20. It was way too short for the money.

And it would have been 8 hours if not afor anfew pinch-points where the checkpoint system resulted in repeated instadeaths.

Either way, I'm glad to finally 14 years later know what Crysis is all about.

Just finished it.

Not a bad game. I had low expectations, and the story and gameplay were better than I expected. Honestly though, I'm not sure 11 hours of gameplay is worth $20. It was way too short for the money.

And it would have been 8 hours if not afor anfew pinch-points where the checkpoint system resulted in repeated instadeaths.

It's worth checking GOG every now and then for sales. There is another game set in the same time period/setting with Pyscho called Warhead. Occasionally they have it on sale for around $5.

edit: It hasn't been remastered, nor has there been any word it will be, but is 64-bit and still looks pretty good.

It's worth checking GOG every now and then for sales. There is another game set in the same time period/setting with Pyscho called Warhead. Occasionally they have it on sale for around $5.
Crysis Warhead is indeed a good game. Much shorter than all the other Crysis games, but still very enjoyable. I got both Warhead and Crysis 1 each for $5 on GOG. I also own a physical copy of Warhead, which has that SecuROM 5-machine-activation bullsh1t. I also own Crysis 1 on Steam, but I always used to use my "community demo" of Crysis 1 for actually playing the game, cuz no SecuROM crap (or whatever copy protection it had). The GOG versions of both games are definitely my preferred versions to use.

Just finished it.

Aaahhh, finally got to play through Crysis 1 huh? How did you feel about the sections of the game after the island froze over? That's usually where the game's appeal starts to drop off for me.

Like Peter recommended, definitely give Crysis Warhead a playthrough when you get a chance.

Become a Patron!
Back