Crysis Remastered PC Requirements Released

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
crysis-remastered-nanosuit-8k-1024x576.jpg
Image: Crytek

The Epic Games Store has listed the minimum and recommended requirements for Crysis Remastered, which will be released on September 18. Apparently, all you need is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti or AMD Radeon Vega 56 to run the game at a decent level. Does anyone see a problem here?

While we all know how lax recommended requirements can be and how poorly they correlate with maximum graphical fidelity, we would have liked to see an RTX 20 or Radeon RX 5000 Series GPU listed somewhere. Actually, it’s kind of weird that the former isn’t, since Crysis Remastered is supposed to boast ray tracing and other modern improvements (NVIDIA enabled ray tracing for GTX 10 and 16 Series GPUs with a driver update last year, but obviously, these low-tiered models struggle with it).

Crytek...

Continue reading...

Well, at least the storage requirements nearly tripled from ~7GB to 20GB. But otherwise, yeah, those GPU requirements don't give much hope otherwise. I will absolutely wait until reviews for this one before buying.

What an absolute shame that their idea of paying homage to an old system breaker like Crysis is to half *** a remake with slight visual fidelity upgrades. I will keep on holding out hope they fix this mess. I would love to play Crysis again but this time bringing my modern system to its knees for good reason.

My quick two cents:

I think I’m ok with just a remaster that’s doesn’t push hardware, even for Crysis. A lot of people have never played it, and the meme is still out there about it.

BUT

I think it should coincide with a new release that does carry forward the tradition of pushing hardware. Wasn’t it Crytek that had that raytracing demo running on a AMD card a couple of years ago?

Given that the second part isn’t forthcoming, yeah I do feel disappointed. But not exactly because this remaster doesn’t push boundaries. More because Crytek has kinda given up on it.

Criteria doesn't have the resources to do something truly generationaly pushing any more. They would need a cash infusion and not be chasing cash with lawsuits. Then again it was cloud imperium games they were going after so...

Weren’t they tangled with Amazon for a bit as well? Something about Lumberjack

Given that the second part isn’t forthcoming, yeah I do feel disappointed. But not exactly because this remaster doesn’t push boundaries. More because Crytek has kinda given up on it.
It seems to me that Crytek has given up period. They closed most of their studios years ago, most likely operate with a skeleton crew now. Cryengine licensing didn't pick up, and the few games that do use it look awful (that are not developed by crytek).

Weren’t they tangled with Amazon for a bit as well? Something about Lumberjack
Not with amazon, they sued star citizen (cloud imperium games) for making two games with one license. But the case was settled outside of court this february I believe. They are probably financing crysis remastered from that settlement :)

Not with amazon, they sued star citizen (cloud imperium games) for making two games with one license. But the case was settled outside of court this february I believe. They are probably financing crysis remastered from that settlement :)

Found a link

The announcement makes a few things suddenly add up. Last April (2015), it was reported that Amazon had shelled out tens of millions of dollars to license CryEngine, paying enough to essentially keep the company afloat during a period of financial difficulty. At the time, no one really knew what their plans were for CryEngine, but most assumed their dev studio would use it to build some games. No one predicted that they would be using it as a base for their own new game engine that they’re now handing out for free.

Lumberyard is based heavily on CryEngine, it turns out, though Amazon maintains that from here on out, it will go in its own direction, and it already has some non-Crytek pieces to it. The arrival of Lumberyard is something of a big deal for the industry, as usually when an engine debuts at this level, it has some hefty licensing fees attached. Previously a CryEngine license could cost a million dollars or more, and other engines like Unreal or Unity also have licensing fees. Yet Lumberyard is free, and there isn’t even a revenue sharing requirement with Amazon in place.

...this will probably be DX12 because of ray tracing, plus it's pretty much a standard now.
What's weird is that the game doesn't use DXR, it uses nVidia's Vulkan extension VKray. I heard it might not be supported on RTG GPUs, but I haven't seen any confirmation of that. Would be strange cuz the game is supposed to have software-based ray-tracing, which I figured should mean it is hardware-agnostic. It runs on the AMD Jaguar-based 8th-gen consoles (well the upgraded versions of those consoles), so it would be weird if it the software-based ray-tracing doesn't work on Radeons on PC.

What's weird is that the game doesn't use DXR, it uses nVidia's Vulkan extension VKray. I heard it might not be supported on RTG GPUs, but I haven't seen any confirmation of that. Would be strange cuz the game is supposed to have software-based ray-tracing, which I figured should mean it is hardware-agnostic. It runs on the AMD Jaguar-based 8th-gen consoles (well the upgraded versions of those consoles), so it would be weird if it the software-based ray-tracing doesn't work on Radeons on PC.
VKRay started with an NVIDIA-specific implementation, but I'm pretty sure an agnostic code path was introduced quite a long time ago.

If you have the original a person shouldn't even have to buy the dang game!!!!!
That should be a free "update" for the game.

Not sure I agree with that. This coming from someone who loves the free games Steam and EGS gives out occasionally. I also believe giving games for free to people can help them in an "advertising" sense of putting the game within' reach of people who otherwise wouldn't buy the game.

However, at no time do I think I deserve the free games or that someone's time is worth nothing and should be given away for free.

You had the original, probably played it, beat it, got your money worth out of it.

Why should a company remaster the game for modern systems and expect their time be worth nothing?

Granted, I do not think the game should be priced as a new release game which I believe it's $30. A reasonable price for a remastered game. You don't have to buy it. You already own and played the original.

I see your point @LeRoy_Blanchard and understand where you are coming from.

As you mentioned, it certainly shouldn't be sold at the price that a new title costs.

Become a Patron!
Back