Crytek: No Current GPU Can Run Crysis Remastered Above 4K/30 FPS at Max Settings

Honestly, what are they doing to the quality settings to tax card to much? 16x shadows, 200% draw distance. 64x tessellation? If you put everything to medium, does it look the same and perform better?
Don't know but just did a quick test. Some good news, HDR works, supports 32:9 5120x1440 without any tweaking. However, OC'd 2080 Ti avgs 50-55 FPS at 'high' settings.

I have no doubts that Brent will give us a much more detailed explanation of what's happening with this but I can quickly tell you the issue is Ray Tracing. Turned it to performance mode and gained almost 30 fps. After that I switched textures, particles, and water, all to 'can it run' mode and still average 50-70 fps. It doesn't feature DLSS so Ray Tracing doesn't get to use the tensor cores to help compensate. It'd be a whole different story if DLSS 2.0 was present.

after I got a bit deeper things got worse. turned RT off put everything to 'high' and still saw dips to 30 FPS. This game needs work.

Plus side-it does look great except for explosions. HDR is awesome as is 32:9 support. Image really pops. In terms of optimization-yeah, it needs work.

edit: one last thing I'll say is that I agree with what @Dan_D said in another thread. It feels like things are the same under the hood. Even some of the stutters feel like they happen in the same places. Still having fun playing it but it could be better.

It's not sabotage, they are doing it to stay relevant, to be in people's minds. Epic money is one thing, but it doesn't make you relevant.
Any developer could add features to their games that would make it run like a dog on current hardware.

What I mean is that it must also look better than everything else to be justified in running worse than every other game. Crysis when it came out did, I'm not so sure about this one.

For a 13 year old game it looks absolutely stunning. Textures look pretty good, etc. Foliage and other things do as well. The rocks and some environmental details look good for being so old, but still look quite dated. Also, it doesn't run bad. I haven't taken it up to 4K, but at 3440x1440 its fine so long as you don't max out ray tracing. Even then, it's playable.

and yeah, it's not pinging those extra threads either. 3700x barely goes above 20%, mostly in the 12-17% range.

I wouldn't think that it would. It only handled two to four cores well if I remember right. I don't think they did much besides improve the textures, add ray tracing and tweak some visuals.

I'm also curious about how this game is running on the Radeon RX 5700 series.

Honestly, what are they doing to the quality settings to tax card to much? 16x shadows, 200% draw distance. 64x tessellation? If you put everything to medium, does it look the same and perform better?
The draw distance is one of the biggest culprits after "ray tracing" from what I've seen so far.

Well, I can confirm that the bastards didn't do anything to the CPU threading. It uses only one or two CPU cores like the original game.

Even worse, that same site asserts that the game is based on the code for the XBOX 360 version of the game. It shows too. There are control issues, a missing mission and more. Jesus Crytek, way to phone in your remaster.

Well, I can confirm that the bastards didn't do anything to the CPU threading. It uses only one or two CPU cores like the original game.

Even worse, that same site asserts that the game is based on the code for the XBOX 360 version of the game. It shows too. There are control issues, a missing mission and more. Jesus Crytek, way to phone in your remaster.
So the assumption early on that this was a port of a console port of a PC game was true. Epic can have this one, then. I'll stick with the original.

This post does a pretty good job of summarizing the issues not being articulated due to everyone talking about the way the game looks and performs:

This fails to address some of the other problems with the PC version, and I think the vast majority of these issues are oversights from Saber Interactive and Crytek since this port is based on the console port from 2011. Here's a list of problems outside of performance that are worth considering:
  • Leaning is gone, likely since in the console port they had no way to map it on to the gamepad along with everything else without conflicts. This feature was not restored for the PC version.
  • The game uses the "new" suit control scheme by default, which functions much like the scheme that Crysis 2 and 3 uses. Again, this is due to the remaster being based on the console port, where the classic control scheme would not be suitable.
  • The "classic" nanosuit control option is not the same as the controls found in the original PC release. You get the radial menu that lets you select each mode at will, but the hotkey mapping is gone and you can no longer seamlessly chain powers, like speed sprinting in to a strength jump. This sounds minor but it's actually a huge deal, especially when it comes to the harder difficulties where chaining powers like that is crucial. Plus, it's just fun to do and not having the ability to anymore is complete and utter bull ****.
  • The new armor mode was reworked to behave more like it does in the sequels. This means it slaps an intrusive overlay effect on the screen and there's a constant energy droning sound that plays while it's active. Additionally, it slowly drains your energy while active, but I suspect it tanks more damage to compensate for that. In my opinion this is one of the more egregious changes that only serves to disrupt the balance the original game had. Plus...armor mode is just plain annoying as **** to use now.
  • If you're using the modern control scheme, you can't sprint normally unless armor or cloak mode is active. Since armor mode is now annoying as hell and drains your energy while idle and cloaking is costly thus meant to be used tactically, both options are less than ideal for when you just want to run around an area without becoming a human battering ram.
  • There's no idle strength mode available with the modern control scheme since you have to hold jump to strength jump or hold melee to strength melee.
  • Crouching is bugged to where the input is delayed in some manner and you basically have to stop moving in order to crouch reliably. It feels bad.
  • Quick grenade throwing no longer exists. Probably another holdover from the console port.
  • Apparently some of the foliage physics were cut back. I haven't tested this myself, but supposedly some physics interactions like when you walk through grass or when an explosion makes trees and bushes sway violently no longer exist. What's puzzling is that I'm pretty sure these things existed in the original port, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
With all of that said, even if this remaster was optimized properly and utilized mutlicore processors correctly, I still wouldn't play it with all the problems I listed above. There are some fixes people have found to address some of those issues, but some of the more critical ones currently have no solutions to them and likely never will without an official patch from Crytek and Saber Interactive.

It no longer plays like the original which gives me the impression that the PC version was a complete afterthought outside of "lol can it run Crysis." The improved graphics are not that remarkable and the only thing this remaster got right was that it runs like **** on even high end hardware like the original did back in 2007. The enhanced graphics in my opinion do not make up for this though since the way the game utilizes your hardware is still fundamentally flawed at its core, and Crytek has only exacerbated the problem with all the fancy new graphics they tacked on.

Needless to say, I was disappointed and refunded it. It could be much better. It should be.

I couldn't agree more. Crytek did a terrible job with the remaster and absolutely missed an opportunity to do something good. Instead, they polished an inferior version of the game made for consoles. As I said earlier, they did the bare minimum to get this working on a modern PC.

I couldn't agree more. Crytek did a terrible job with the remaster and absolutely missed an opportunity to do something good. Instead, they polished an inferior version of the game made for consoles. As I said earlier, they did the bare minimum to get this working on a modern PC.
So sad but so true. I really wanted to think better of this game but after spending time with it on the weekend my biggest take away is, at times, it sure looks pretty but that's about the best I could do. Just sad. I'll probably end up buying the original GOG now just to have the legit 64-bit version of the original.

Become a Patron!
Back