CyberLink Launches PowerDVD 22 for Blu-Ray, DVD, 4K HDR, and YouTube Playback

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
CyberLink has launched PowerDVD 22, the latest version of what the multimedia software and AI facial recognition company claims is the world's number one Blu-ray and media player.

Go to post

So, I didn't know there was such a strong link between Multimedia Software and AI Facial Recognition.

I also didn't know anyone paid for playback software.

Ah, so they are on 22 now huh? I grabbed 18 a few years ago when I got a BD drive for my berfday. I rarely use optical drives, so the program hasn't seen a whole lotta use. Although it upscales regular DVD videos better than any other media player I've used. In any case, in the rare event I actually watch a movie straight from a disc, my PS3 is the tool for that job. Yeah I got a PS4 Pro and base XB1 too, but PS3 is still my preferred device for BD or DVD watching. I don't know why it does a better job than the other two, but it does.

Huh, I was not aware people use software other than web browsers and phone apps to watch YouTube. That's uh kinda weird.

I also didn't know anyone paid for playback software.
Same.

Wow this is still a thing? And they are charging a pretty penny for it. If only there were some free options out there, hmmmm :)

Wow this is still a thing? And they are charging a pretty penny for it. If only there were some free options out there, hmmmm :)
Can you point me to one of those free ones? Never found one that worked half decent. I still use an antiquated version of Cyberlink that I got for free with a DVD drive many many moons ago, still works fine though I think it might lack support for some recent blu ray security stuff.

Can you point me to one of those free ones? Never found one that worked half decent. I still use an antiquated version of Cyberlink that I got for free with a DVD drive many many moons ago, still works fine though I think it might lack support for some recent blu ray security stuff.
VLC + makeMKV? Takes a little setup but free as free gets, and MakeMKV does well with most Blu Rays

VLC + makeMKV? Takes a little setup but free as free gets, and MakeMKV does well with most Blu Rays

This. Take it a step farther and handbrake those rips down to size if you don't mind a little compression.

Yeah, PowerDVD has always been pricey. That's why I've never bought it but I have had it come with a number of drives/laptops though. It's not a bad program but hard for me to recommend due to that price. A little elbow grease and VLC can work just fine but there are still some hoops to jump through to get it set up for 4K disc playback.

I tried VLC a couple years back but could not get blu ray to work so I went back to powerdvd at least that played some of them.

Must say it's mostly the playstation now for optical media.

Become a Patron!
Back