Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 Update and Phantom Liberty Expansion Will Push 8-Core CPU Usage to 90%: “We Use All You Have”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Cyberpunk 2077 players may want to double check that their system's cooling is adequate before downloading CD PROJEKT RED's upcoming 2.0 update for the game, which is set to introduce vehicle combat, car chases, and other new features. Filip Pierściński, lead scene programmer at CDPR and Scooter fan, X'd today about how CPU usage for Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 and Phantom Liberty is "expected" to reach numbers as high as 90% on some chips, including 8-core processors, as the developer has optimized the game to take full advantage of such hardware. Mods will no longer be required to squeeze the most out of CPUs for Cyberpunk 2077, Pierściński advised in another tweet.

See full article...

Hopefully this is part of the AI updates. Pretty excited to see all the changes.

5800X3D killer finally?

I guess any 8-core CPU, makes me worried even for the 7800X3D

I also wonder in what scenarios this utilization will occur, everywhere? certain areas or scenarios? everything?

I forsee lots of reviews testing CPU utilization with this game in the future from review sites

I've seen tons of reviews of 8 core cpu's with Starfield. Nobody's doing a comparison to 12 or 16 core CPU's at all. (ok not in depth.)

5800X3D killer finally?

I guess any 8-core CPU, makes me worried even for the 7800X3D

I also wonder in what scenarios this utilization will occur, everywhere? certain areas or scenarios? everything?

I forsee lots of reviews testing CPU utilization with this game in the future from review sites
I'd be more worried about 6 or 4 core CPUs, that were specifically aimed at budget gaming like the 5600 and most I5s. 8 core 16 thread ones are safe for now I think.

I've seen tons of reviews of 8 core cpu's with Starfield. Nobody's doing a comparison to 12 or 16 core CPU's at all. (ok not in depth.)
Everyone does these unrealistic 1080 low and similar tests with CPUs, but that doesn't tell me whether I should upgrade my CPU if I'm playing at normal resolutions.

I want to know how much CPU matters when running at high / ultra 4K or at least 1440p. I've ranted about this before but it seems it is time for that again.

Everyone does these unrealistic 1080 low and similar tests with CPUs, but that doesn't tell me whether I should upgrade my CPU if I'm playing at normal resolutions.

I want to know how much CPU matters when running at high / ultra 4K or at least 1440p. I've ranted about this before but it seems it is time for that again.
Just for the record, I have ALWAYS included 4K in CPU performance testing. I believe in testing 1080p, 1440p, and 4K so that one can see the WHOLE picture of how performance scales on a CPU up and down.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/category/reviews/cpu/

I will continue to test this way, it's the only right way to do it IMO.

I was thinking about the high and mighty yt gurus, who all claim that only they know how to benchmark right.
How dare you insult Linus from LTT/LMG!!! If anyone knows how to benchmark properly, it's Linus and his crew! They were recently in the news because of how awesome their benchmarking process is! They are literally the ONLY source of accurate, factual performance information! When it comes to YT, you won't find better!

How dare you insult Linus from LTT/LMG!!! If anyone knows how to benchmark properly, it's Linus and his crew! They were recently in the news because of how awesome their benchmarking process is! They are literally the ONLY source of accurate, factual performance information! When it comes to YT, you won't find better!
STAT WE NEED TO REMOVE THE FAKE NEWS GENE FROM THIS ONE!!!

I get that CB2077 is the new Crysis but really, we're already getting to the point that a decent 8c/16t CPU isn't enough for gaming. That just boggles my mind. I really though I had a few more years before needing to go to a 16/32, or more.

I will give CDPR credit though. The ongoing improvements they keep making do make it a poster child for the best of what can be seen with PC gaming.

I wasn't insulting LTT, I was insulting all of them! They are all a bit too up their own backsides, even the ones that don't make rookie mistakes.

Become a Patron!
Back