Cyberpunk 2077 Anime Announced for Netflix

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
cyberpunk-edgerunners-announcement-1024x576.jpg
Image: CD PROJEKT RED

During today’s special Night Wire event, CD PROJEKT RED (CPR) announced that it has partnered with acclaimed Japan-based animation company Studio Trigger for an original anime series on Netflix called CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS. As you might have guessed by its title, the series will be set in the same universe as CPR’s heavily anticipated RPG, Cyberpunk 2077. Fans can expect 10 episodes, which will debut in 2022.

“Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare) will direct the series along with assistant director Masahiko Otsuka (Gurren Lagann, Promare), creative director Hiromi Wakabayashi (Kill la Kill), character designers Yoh Yoshinari (Little Witch Academia, BNA: Brand New Animal) and Yuto Kaneko (Little Witch...

Continue reading...

ay 'tone let's pump this balloon while the goin's good

Yea it's coming out in two years. The game is going to have to have some real teeth to stay in the minds of gamers. Though I am not against a cyberpunk Anime. I wonder if that is project red exploiting the license they have in interesting ways or if the owners of the Cyberpunk IP (the pen and paper game company) are being taken alone for the ride into profit town?

^^Well, CDP released Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine expansions 6 months and 1 year after the initial release of the Witcher 3. I'd imagine they have similar plans for CP2077, so I'm not too worried about it staying in minds of gamers for 2 years. Not only that, but since it's one of the most anticipated games of the year, it will stay in the minds for either being really good, or really bad anyway :LOL:

I'm pretty mixed on this. Considering the imagery already shown for the game I'm less enthusiastic for what could be mediocre anime. Maybe they'll surprise though. I did a quick search of their stuff and quality levels do vary. Just not gonna be interested in another generic looking one though.

I'll probably watch it, but this really doesn't interest me the way the game does. Anime is hit or miss with me anyway as most of the tropes are beyond tiresome and predictable. That said, I think its good that they are expanding this universe and giving it greater reach than the game. Like Altered Carbon, there is a lot going for it and I think people are starved for good science fiction since most of our beloved franchises are run by morons who don't get the source material, nor care about being faithful to it.

Become a Patron!
Back