Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed until September: More Time Required Due to RPG's “Sheer Scale"

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
CD PROJEKT RED has a disappointing announcement for Cyberpunk 2077 fans. According to a tweet on the developer's official Twitter account, the heavily anticipated open-world RPG won't make its original release window. Instead of April, the game has been pushed back to September 17, 2020.

The reason for the delay isn't surprising. As Marcin Iwinski (Co-founder) and Adam Badowski (Head of Studio) explained in their tweet, Cyberpunk 2077's launch date was moved to the Fall so the team could perform more bug testing. Night City (the RPG's main setting) is reportedly "massive" in terms of both scale and complexity, so the additional polish will certainly be welcome (Iwinski and Badowski pointed out that they wanted the game to come out "perfect").

"We are currently at a stage where the game is complete and playable, but there's still work to be done. Night City is massive - full of stories, content, and places to visit, but due to the sheer scale and complexity of it all, we need more time to finish playtesting, finishing and polishing. We want Cyberpunk 2077 to be our crowning achievement for the generation and postponing launch will give us the precious months we need to make the game perfect."

Cyberpunk 2077 is getting a beautiful collector's edition that includes physical goodies such as a statue, postcards, and patches, as well as exclusive digital content (e.g., game soundtrack, art booklet, wallpapers). Those who purchase the game on CD PROJEKT RED's GOG platform will also get some exclusive bonuses, such as print-quality posters.

Doesn't bother me in the least - I'll give respect to any company that will delay a heavily anticipated game for polish.

Just think - they could easily release the game 'as is' - patch the hell out of it, and then re-release it as a GOTY edition in Fall with all the patches applied, and still sell buckets of copies. But they don't - because they want the initial version of the game to be stellar. Good on them.

I agree with SeymourGore - I just hope it is for gameplay polish and not something like finalizing RTX support.

I swore off pre-ordering games a long time ago, for obvious reasons. That said... I actually did pre-order this game back in June; my first from CDPR. I don't regret it. And I'm not asking for a refund. I trust that CDPR will deliver a polished game that will be lots of fun to play. Like the old days...

I'm happy if they wait to iron it out more. I'm sure they're cramming everything and the kitchen sink into this. Sad to say though that it'll probably get a bunch of patches after release. W2 & W3 both did but they're good for keeping up on support and that's the point. On the plus side we've got Doom and RE3 coming out soon anyways. I've also got a few things from the winter sales to catch up on.

Become a Patron!
Back