Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty Officially Announced for September 26, Full Details Revealed

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The wait is over as CD PROJEKT RED has officially announced that Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty will finally arrive on September 26. Leaks about the release of the forthcoming DLC began surfacing at the end of last week and now everything one would want to know about it has been revealed. It will only be available for PC and current-gen consoles, not too much of a surprise here considering how poorly Cyberpunk 2077 itself ran on the base model PS4. Creative director Pawel Sasko has added in an exclusive interview with VGC that a lot of the game's main systems have either been redone or updated.

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty goes for $29.99 and preorders are now up and does require the base game in order to be played. On GOG it says that preorders there will gain access to the Quadra Sport R-7 Vigilante as a bonus. The game is rated Mature 17+, "Nudity, Use Of Drugs And Alcohol, Blood and Gore, Strong Sexual Content, Strong Language, Intense Violence".

See full article...

The post already ran a bit long so I'm putting this here. CDPR added more info about the updated PC hardware requirements in its forums.

"As we kick off the pre-orders for Phantom Liberty, we want to update our current system requirements to ensure that players have a better understanding of what will be needed to run Cyberpunk 2077, and make it easy to assess the expected performance. These changes will take effect following the next update to the base game, no earlier than 90 days, and also apply to Phantom Liberty.

The new system requirements are designed to be more up to date, adding support to new GPUs not available at launch, and targeting a resolution output of either 1080p or 4K for specific in-game presets.

The changes to the minimum requirements are a reflection of our new standard of requirements, which we believe better represent the minimum PC configuration required to run the game at 1080p, while maintaining an average of 30 FPS at low preset. The reason for making these changes is that updating the requirements is an important part of the game improvement process, and of enhancing and adding new features.

One of the changes is the choice to stop supporting HDDs for the minimum requirements – SSDs offer faster loading times, improved streaming, and better overall performance when compared to HDDs.

It's important to highlight that it doesn't mean the game will stop working on the previous minimum requirements. However, following the next update to the base game we will discontinue active support for them and stop testing the game on those setups.

Note that the presented FPS data is based on internal testing. Performance may vary depending on your particular PC hardware and software configuration, any changes made to individual graphics settings or resolution output. Check out the updated system requirements below."

****, that's steep, imma need a new GPU if I want lots of eye candy.

Holy ****.... they want a 7900x or 7600x, No more 5 series from AMD, AND a 7000 series video card?

Come on folks. I appreciate what you're saying... but you know... I don't see consoles listed here AT ALL. lol.

I wonder if they are even getting the big engine update.

Holy ****.... they want a 7900x or 7600x, No more 5 series from AMD, AND a 7000 series video card?

Come on folks. I appreciate what you're saying... but you know... I don't see consoles listed here AT ALL. lol.

I wonder if they are even getting the big engine update.
I always take official CPU* requirements with a healthy dose of salt. I think it is more that these are the CPUs they do testing on, not that it won't run on older ones at all.

*And everything else as well, but most of all CPUs.

Interesting that they are choosing to bring back V.

I mean, things didn't necessarily end well for V.

As I recall, depending on your ending he is either dead (having given his body to Johnny) or he is a ticking time bomb going on a crazy mission in space, or leaving night city with the Aldecaldos, and either way, is presumed to not have much of a lifespan before the thing in his head cills him.

(I did all the endings, including the secret one, but details are a little hazy)

I wonder when in V's story line from the original game this takes place.

I kind of assumed that the expansion would be set in the same city, but with different characters, different stories, and using new indoor areas that weren't previously there.

I kind of doubt the expansion story can capture the magic/mystique of the original release, but I am definitely eager to find out.

Last edited:
Holy ****.... they want a 7900x or 7600x,

I can't imagine those CPU's are actually required for a game that in all likelihood is going to be GPU limited and running at/near 60fps.

I plan on running it on my Threadripper 3960x. Sure, I have a boatload of cores, but each individual core will be quite a bit slower than those.

The original game allowed me to hit over 100fps with this CPU. I can't imagine that this expansion will take more than a 40fps chunk out of that due to the CPU, even with major reworked NPC's and other elements.

Time will tell I guess. I'll be surprised if I have problems running it on my CPU though.

Looks like the trailer answers many (but not all) of my questions:

I guess it's getting about that time that I should actually play this game all the way through finally

Looks like the trailer answers many (but not all) of my questions:
I don't see any answers there on how this fits into the base story. Unless this takes place before the final mission, retconning in an alternative ending.

I don't see any answers there on how this fits into the base story. Unless this takes place before the final mission, retconning in an alternative ending.

I see it could be compatible with the "Legend of the Afterlife" ending, but that's the only one.

Unless the Aldecaldos come back, the bthere are two compatible endings.

I admit it is odd that CDPR hasn't said anything regarding story continuity with this. I've held off on finishing my play-through, on the last mission, just in case I need to backtrack to access it. My gut is saying they will use a menu implementation for access but that is a detail that's been left out. They could also do something like go to such and such point to get to Dogtown, it tells you that you're leaving the main story and imports Vs stats but the DLC doesn't affect the main save. There's also no guarantee that V is even going to be the main protagonist. I did see both voice actors listed on IMDB but that could just be placeholders since most of the cast was not listed yet. I don't know, there are a lot of options for how this will work.

Eh..... hard to get excited about this, and you know it will take them months after launch to patch it up

I see it could be compatible with the "Legend of the Afterlife" ending, but that's the only one.
As long as there is just one ending it is not compatible with it's a problem.
It would be absolutely lame if they just ignore everything and this plays as a separate campaign. But I suspect that will happen somehow, might even be a separate new game in the main menu.

See, the funny thing is that there are a number of spots/paths on the map that could lead to expansions, and I'm speaking literally in-game. However, the lack of info from CDPR on this has me wondering. Meanwhile, we have the example of W3 Blood and Wine where a signpost and CB has a similar version, opening up the map to a whole new area with its missions that are not tied to the main quest. Given the habit of doing what works this could be what they're planning.

See, the funny thing is that there are a number of spots/paths on the map that could lead to expansions, and I'm speaking literally in-game. However, the lack of info from CDPR on this has me wondering. Meanwhile, we have the example of W3 Blood and Wine where a signpost and CB has a similar version, opening up the map to a whole new area with its missions that are not tied to the main quest. Given the habit of doing what works this could be what they're planning.

Yeah, I think ultimately the poor state in which Cyberpunk launched resulted in lots of expansion activities being canceled, and that is a shame.

The world they created feels huge, vibrant and alive. There are so many stories that could be set in it before it got old.

Become a Patron!
Back