Cyberpunk 2077 reviews are trickling in...

The game is already pretty laggy running locally, i don't know if it's the DLSS or something else but it just doesn't feel as responsive as I'd like. I keep trailing the enemy while aiming, but I don't see low FPS. Even while driving I constantly have to think ahead, and start turning long before I'd in any other game. Adding streaming lag to that doesn't sound like a good idea.

I'm enjoying the game far more now than at the start. I don't know how long the game is, might not even have reached the midpoint, or I might be nearing the end, dunno. I know they said 170 hours for a completionist playthrough, but there are so many meaningless side activites, that makes sense, even if the main story is just 20 hours. I actually wish I could mute the phone in the game as it just keeps ringing always a new side job. And you can't ignore them the game forces you to pick up the phone. Even if you are in the middle of a conversation with another npc. But it makes zero sense to do any side jobs now, as the narrative says I need to hurry. I just hope there will be opportunity later to actually get into sidejobs without breaking immersion.

well, I'm playing it on Stadia on my desktop pc and it works. There is something rather satisfying about not having to DL 100gb and install etc. But it is fuzzy.... smooth enough in performance mode (which I read is 1080p, no way to tell in game), graphics mode looks a little better but is jittery. I have 100mb fios and my rig is hardwire cat6 to the router (2700x + 1080ti).

In the first 15 mins alone I feel like I will be buying this again for PC to get the rez up. But it wouldn't be the first or even the 8th time I've bought games multiple times for different platforms. I'm not sure how a chromecast (which will be on wifi, unless it has a eth port which I don't think it does) on my liv room TV is going to improve things.

Gamewise, I like the atmosphere of it so far.

well, I'm playing it on Stadia on my desktop pc and it works. There is something rather satisfying about not having to DL 100gb and install etc. But it is fuzzy.... smooth enough in performance mode (which I read is 1080p, no way to tell in game), graphics mode looks a little better but is jittery. I have 100mb fios and my rig is hardwire cat6 to the router (2700x + 1080ti).

In the first 15 mins alone I feel like I will be buying this again for PC to get the rez up. But it wouldn't be the first or even the 8th time I've bought games multiple times for different platforms. I'm not sure how a chromecast (which will be on wifi, unless it has a eth port which I don't think it does) on my liv room TV is going to improve things.

Gamewise, I like the atmosphere of it so far.
Witcher, Metro, and Crysis games for me. Bought in various ways until I was able to get them on GOG. Before that, I used to buy for PS1/PS2/Xbox and then on PC when I could.

Well, I got to spend a few hours with it yesterday. Bugs, sure, there's plenty. Ended up using the OC settings for my 3090 to hold close to 60 FPS once I got into the open city areas. Kept DLSS at auto but everything else either ultra or psycho. Visually-wow! I'm impressed. Very immersive. Stealth, well I agree with @Burticus, it's pretty difficult and usually ends up in a shootout.

Have to say that I'm torn between the LG C9 and Samsung CRG49 with this game. While the C9 gives the definitive 4K HDR experience, plus 120 Hz G-sync is nice, the game natively supports 32:9 and the 100 FOV really takes advantage of the CRG49's5120x1440 real estate. Has a kind of VR feel to it.

I originally told myself I was going to burn through the main campaign and go back later for the side missions but I'm already finding myself drawn to them. They managed to keep that spirit W3 had where you end up deciding to check out what the extra jobs are really about. Cool stuff. Maybe I'll finish this during the holidays but I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts until spring. I also like just walking around and looking at the cityscape. Kind of like being in some of those outdoor scenes in the original Ghost in the Shell.

Heads up to those trying to get that last little bit of performance. DSOG has a story about a mod for AMD Ryzen CPUs that supposed to help a little. I haven't tried it. Not sure if I will but it might help someone. TPU has a pretty cool image comparison tool with sliders that'll let you pick various settings for the comparisons for those curious about DLSS/RT/On/Off etc.

Well, bugs are getting out of hand now. I basically have to quit and re-start the game every 10 minutes because of some crap. I stopped counting but there must be dozens of bugs.
  • The most common is items getting detached from NPCs and floating mid air.
  • Then comes the missing clothing / hair or both from your character.
  • Not being able to switch camera view while driving
  • mods / attachments menu not coming up
  • item stats getting permanently stuck on screen
  • subtitles getting permanently stuck on screen (when subtitles are turned off)
  • infinite loading screen where there isn't even supposed to be a loading screen
  • NPCs loading into view in default pose then warping into position
  • not being able to pick up items
  • sprint no longer functions
  • getting stuck in crouch during conversations looking up like a child
  • performance drops for unknown reason, not even in graphics heavy areas just randomly
  • multiple conversations happening at the same time overlapping
  • pedestrian spawning inside your car
  • wacky ragdoll physics I Haven't seen since the early 2000s
  • NPCs teleporting between positions
I'm sure there was more that I don't recall now.

One more, that I find extremely annoying: Relic malfunctions never end for me. If this is intended that's just stupid, but I don't think it is as reloading the game fixes this one too.

It seems game was holding back the better side gigs for the end. Literally when I reached the "point of no return" all the good side missions started coming in, a whole deluge. I've been doing nothing else for 8 hours at least, still don't see the end of it. It seems we can add pacing issues to the list as well.

So I'm sure someone will get a chuckle out of this.... I bought it on Google Stadia. The reviews say the Stadia version is surprisingly good, somewhere between the consoles and uber PC. Google is running a promotion until 12/17 that if you buy Cyberpunk you get a free 4K stadia premier "kit" which comes with the controller and a 4K chromecast ultra.

[/URL]

On top of that, if you sign up for Stadia Pro (free the first month, $10 a month after. Lots of "free" games on there. Think similar to Xbox Gamepass or PS Now) you get $10 off your first game purchase.

So for $49 you get the game, and the 4K Chromecast Ultra, and the wireless controller. I think either of those items alone is $30-40. So basically a good deal on both and the game is free. I can cancel the Stadia Pro subscription later if I want. And hey if I hate it I can always use the Chromecast on another TV or sell the stuff. I've been interested to try Stadia and this seems like a super cheap way to do it, and I get an awesome game for free.

We'll see how it plays... I don't know how long it takes for the stuff to ship. I'd be shocked if I get it before Xmas, but I'm not in a huge rush.
Why not just buy the game on Steam or GOG and stream it with Geforce NOW?

One things that's been annoying the hell out of me is calling your car. It'll come....then drive right past me and keep on going. Can't even get in it when it does that. Then it just disappears for a while.

I've also had my car get stuck in weird places. To the point where you can get in it, but then you immediately get out.

I've also experienced some side missions that are scuffed. Or you come across a group of wanted people, start to engage them and one of them is trapped inside a building. No way to kill them and you're stuck in combat from that point on.

If you have a Ryzen CPU with one active chiplet you may want to look at this:

https://www.techspot.com/news/87947-reddit-patch-cyberpunk-2077-yields-double-digit-performance.html

If your Ryzen CPU has two or more chiplets like a 5950X then you probably don't want this patch, but some people have said they saw improvements on ones with multiple active chiplets.

For everybody, take a look at this:

/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kccabx/hey_cd_projekt_red_i_think_you_shipped_the_wrong/

It seems that the memory pools for the game are hardcoded and probably left in because of the consoles. You could see massive performance improvements if you set the pools to 0 to allow the game to dynamically allocate memory. May want to make a backup of your exe file before you try this. Seems it helps those with older processors more than those with newer ones.

Last edited:
It seems that the memory pools for the game are hardcoded and probably left in because of the consoles. You could see massive performance improvements if you set the pools to 0 to allow the game to dynamically allocate memory.
I doubt this does what the person thinks it does. It's probably a deprecated setting or something completely different.
But I'm a C# developer I know what I'm doing - no you really don't.
At best this does absolutely nothing. At worst it screws memory management in ways he can't even imagine. the game is certainly not limited to using 1.5GB of RAM and VRAM.

BTW just entering 16GB instead of 1536MB is foolish, what makes him think the parser can even understand GB as an unit instead of MB.

I did the Ryzen mod. I can say that before I did the mod the gamer certainly was not taking advantage of the SMT cores. Now it appears it is.

It has helped a little. Overall FPS is up a little bit. Noticeably less lag in certain areas of the city.

Why not just buy the game on Steam or GOG and stream it with Geforce NOW?
I'm not Burticus, nor do I own this on Stadia, but my understanding was the biggest draws to Stadia was that you didn't have to go through that 50+GB download, plus Day 0 patch, plus whatever else -- you just hit buy, and the game loads. That, plus you aren't using your own hardware (if you don't have the hardware that's a bigger deal, obviously). And you can stream it anywhere, not just in your home, or dependent on your ISP upload with a VPN setup.

Now, if you have enough bandwidth to stream the game playing, and you already have a decent gaming rig -- those aren't all big benefits.

Buying on GoG seems to be the thing to do for us PC ppl, I might have to pick it up there even tho I really like to have all my games more or less in one place (Steam) (Blizzard) and now I would have to add one more...

I'm not Burticus, nor do I own this on Stadia, but my understanding was the biggest draws to Stadia was that you didn't have to go through that 50+GB download, plus Day 0 patch, plus whatever else -- you just hit buy, and the game loads. That, plus you aren't using your own hardware (if you don't have the hardware that's a bigger deal, obviously). And you can stream it anywhere, not just in your home, or dependent on your ISP upload with a VPN setup.

Now, if you have enough bandwidth to stream the game playing, and you already have a decent gaming rig -- those aren't all big benefits.
Except you don't have to do any of that with Geforce NOW. You just buy the game on your platform of choice, link that account to GFN, and click play. Same as Stadia, except the copy of the game you buy isn't tied to that platform.

Geforce NOW is not the same as Game Streaming with Geforce Experience. It is a cloud gaming service just like Stadia. You are streaming the game to your device from a data center.

Except you don't have to do any of that with Geforce NOW. You just buy the game on your platform of choice, link that account to GFN, and click play. Same as Stadia, except the copy of the game you buy isn't tied to that platform.
Good to know, I wasn't aware. Thank you.

I doubt this does what the person thinks it does. It's probably a deprecated setting or something completely different.
But I'm a C# developer I know what I'm doing - no you really don't.
At best this does absolutely nothing. At worst it screws memory management in ways he can't even imagine. the game is certainly not limited to using 1.5GB of RAM and VRAM.

BTW just entering 16GB instead of 1536MB is foolish, what makes him think the parser can even understand GB as an unit instead of MB.
I didn't look too deep into it, but sometimes these things do turn out to be placebos. Still, I only have like one day of experience with C#. My programming focus was on C and C++. But reading more of that thread most people are saying that it doesn't do anything.

I didn't look too deep into it, but sometimes these things do turn out to be placebos. Still, I only have like one day of experience with C#. My programming focus was on C and C++. But reading more of that thread most people are saying that it doesn't do anything.
Placebo it is, I'd think. You expect it to run faster, therefore you feel as if it is faster. This is how those ebay power/mileage booster things are sold as well.

Become a Patron!
Back