DDR3 Memory Supply Shrinking, Samsung and SK hynix Scaling Back Production

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
corsair-vengeance-ddr3-memory-red-1024x576.jpg
Image: Corsair

In a potential blow to enthusiasts who insist on torturing themselves with laughably outdated hardware, TrendForce has shared a report indicating that the global supply of consumer DDR3 memory is about to undergo an impending decline, something that’s being accelerated partially by key manufacturers that have finally begun the process of distancing themselves from the ancient standard. These include Samsung and SK hynix, both of which have already begun scaling back their DDR3 production and are expected to EOL their offerings sooner rather than later. Released in 2007, DDR3 memory offers a maximum bandwidth of 17 GB/s, a figure that has since been put to shame by DDR4 (25.6 GB/s) and DDR5 (32 GB/s).

DDR3 Consumer DRAM Prices Expected to Rise by 0-5% in 2Q22 Due to Rapidly Shrinking Supply, Says TrendForce...

Continue reading...

On the flipside, I've finally had the time and energy to play games in the cave recently. That old overclocked 4930K rig is still chugging along nicely with its 2133 MHz G.Skills. I need to order a new fan for the CPU cooler though, it was pretty cranky when I turned it on this weekend.

Man... DDR3... that's a while ago now. I think I still have some sitting around. NO idea how good it is now. I think I have a 8 meg corsair stick... pretty sure... ok not really... but maybe?!

I have a lot of DDR3 RAM actually. I'd be surprised if there would be much demand for it given how long DDR4's been around.

At work I probably have another... terabyte of old memory sitting in a anti static bag now that I think of it. Not sure if it's ddr4 or 3 to be honest.. 8 year old ram. Probably early ddr4 or late ddr3.

Early modules always suck ***. The earliest DDR4 stuff I have rarely wants to behave in more modern systems. It's also not that great spec wise. Sometimes Corsair did stupid things with secondary XMP profiles.

I usually go for the tamer modules since I just don't want to have to deal with timing headaches but interestingly enough I did have to use the 2 XMP profile with the Corsairs for the MPG 570(1st version) board I've got. Once I get comfortable with a rig, over years, I'll sometimes update to faster modules if I feel the need. I did that for the X79 and Z68 rigs back in the day.

Become a Patron!
Back