Death Stranding Averages 50 FPS in 8K with DLSS 2.0 Using a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Death-Stranding-Mountainscape-1024x576.jpg
Image: Kojima Productions

Death Stranding has only been available for the PC for a week now, but it is already becoming the de facto poster child for DLSS 2.0. Early on it was reported how NVIDIA’s tensor core-based solution allows the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti to render the game at over 90 FPS in 4K. To be fair, even an RTX 2070 SUPER could hit over 60 FPS in 4K. That too is using max settings combined with DLSS 2.0 in quality mode. Well, someone has now taken on the fun task of seeing what NVIDIA’s Turing-based RTX cards can do at 8K with the game.

Anthony Garreffa, of TweakTown, has put NVIDIA’s current lineup through the rounds in 8K. He even...

Continue reading...

The point really isn't much about 8K, or size of the screen. It's really showing how DLSS 2.0 enables much higher frame rates in any resolution now. They used it in 8K because we're finally getting to a point where some slightly less demanding games can reach 60 fps in 4K. With that said some people are already looking the next horizon of 120-144 Hz in 4K. This tech can do that when properly used. I've watched 8K tests done using 4x Titan's in games that support SLI just to get 60 fps so this is really amazing that something helped one card pull that off. Now granted, DS isn't exactly a demanding title but there were still around 20-30 fps differences when enabled. I don't know anyone whose looking at getting an 8K display but I know a lot of people who would be happy to gain that many frames by simply turning on a feature.

Eh?
There's so much spatio-temporal info in a moving 3840x2160 image that I'm not exactly shocked that through fancy image-scaling tech, you can achieve good picture quality LuDiCRouS ReSoLUtION at a reasonable computation price.

The same goes for temporal resolution; there's so much temporal info in 90 or 120 discrete frames per second, that it is utterly ridicrous to attempt to render over 240 discrete, individual frames without cheating.

The future is Smarter, not harder!

Become a Patron!
Back