Demand for More Powerful GPUs Continues as BOE Unveils World’s First 110″ 16K Display

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
"No visible pixels even right up close." BOE has reiterated the idea that there is no such thing as future proofing in the hardware hobby with its latest development, a 110-inch display that offers a staggering resolution of 16,000 pixels horizontally—a figure that would amount to 2x as many pixels as 8K, 16x as many pixels as 4K, and 64x as many pixels as 1080p. According to a list of specifications that HDTVTest's Vincent Teoh captured at Display Week 2023, BOE's panel, which is said to be a world's first, features a resolution of 15360x8640, a refresh rate of 60 Hz, up to 400 nits of brightness, a contrast ratio of 1200:1, and 99% coverage of the DCI-P3 color gamut. Today's flagship graphics cards are already plenty impressive, but gamers will presumably need an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 9090, DLSS 10, or whatever else to run future games on this 16K display at their full glory with path tracing and other demanding technologies.

See full article...

Yeah, this is pretty much on the list of never in my lifetime. At this point, I have doubts I'll even try 8K.

oh lord, "up to 400 nits of brightness", at 110 inches that makes it about useless. It's basically a 110-inch, 16K night light.

oh lord, "up to 400 nits of brightness", at 110 inches that makes it about useless. It's basically a 110-inch, 16K night light.
So is that 400 nits for the full display? Or is that a per square inch measurement?

It's per square meter.

So now I'm left wondering how those NITS claims on 32 inch and smaller monitors work. That is not a square meter of space to meet official measurements.

Last edited:
So is that 400 nits for the full display? Or is that a per square inch measurement?

It's per square meter.

So now I'm left wondering how those NITS claims on 32 inch and smaller monitors work. That is not a square meter of space to meet official measurements.
Yeah, I'm not sure either but I think I'm already a bit jaded against it for the sheer ridiculous thought of it.

Yeah, I'm not sure either but I think I'm already a bit jaded against it for the sheer ridiculous thought of it.
I just think of meeting goals on measurements and the cheesy bs that companies are likely to pull.

"This panel is 1/2 of a square meter so as long as it puts out 200 NIT's within that space we meet the 400NIT goal and can claim it!"

or..

"This monitor is HUGE easily over a square meter so measure 1 square meter of the monitor for NITS and lets see if we can hit 1000 NITS!"

Stuff like that... clearly garbage ways to measure with unintended consequences. If there are no controls on how the measurement is taken it will be the most beneficial to the manufacturer.

Stuff like that... clearly garbage ways to measure with unintended consequences. If there are no controls on how the measurement is taken it will be the most beneficial to the manufacturer.
I agree. I've been saying for over a decade that the display industry, as a whole, is smoke and mirrors. On the positive side, a lot of items bought in-store are done by consumers who just like the look, and as long as they account for the light differences in whatever space it goes in they should be o.k. Meanwhile, those of us who like to go by specs can sometimes end up in a jungle of made-up marketing that can be very misleading. I'm happy that I'm pretty done with my upgrades/purchases, for now, but I really dread researching display stuff because of junk like this.

Become a Patron!
Back