Destiny 2’s Install Size Grows to 165 GB with Shadowkeep Expansion

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Big-budget titles continue to get bigger and bigger. Bungie has sent out an email revealing that Destiny 2's latest expansion, Shadowkeep, will up the hard drive space requirement to 165 GB. That isn't the most ridiculous install size out there (ARK: Survival Evolved has reportedly ballooned to over 200 GB), but it'll definitely reduce a sizable chunk of storage for gamers who have transitioned to SSDs.

Bungie has also confirmed that Destiny 2 PC will be moving to Steam on October 1. Players can link their accounts and transfer their characters, gear, collections, and game purchases from Battle.net to Steam beginning on August 20. The Cross Save feature, which allows players to use their Guardians on any supporting platform (PlayStation, Xbox, Steam, Stadia), is expected to launch one day later (August 21).

Players will finally be able to play on any platform without losing their in-game progress. Shadowkeep comes with some really neat features like Armor 2.0, Finishing Moves and new Eververse changes this fall. The future for the Destiny franchise is looking very bright indeed.

****. Well this definitely effects me. Good thing I have plenty of space.

Holy fudge nugets that is a MASSIVE install. But this is what happens when people want amazing high res custom textures for every zone and gun. Really it's the price we play for fidelity and unique setups.

I can't really complain about this. I would rather it take more space (especially with sub 100 dollar 1 TB NVME drives regularly available. ) than feel like cookie cutter zones and cookie cutter looks over and over.

The game also runs very well for its visual quality. So, if that costs us drive space then so be it.

I didn't know titles were getting that big already. I've only just got used to the 50-80GB ones. It'd be funny if you could pre-order a physical copy of a game and they mail you a 200GB SSD.

The game also runs very well for its visual quality. So, if that costs us drive space then so be it.

Ehhh, a lot of the planets run like hot garbage (Titan specifically).

Well space is relatively cheap, I don't complain about that so much so long as it's not just being frivolously wasted. What I cringe at are my download times... because I have a crappy rural ISP - that would take me about 7 days uninterrupted and with nothing else at all affecting the bandwidth. And I pity those on download caps.

Well space is relatively cheap, I don't complain about that so much so long as it's not just being frivolously wasted. What I cringe at are my download times... because I have a crappy rural ISP - that would take me about 7 days uninterrupted and with nothing else at all affecting the bandwidth. And I pity those on download caps.
I'm fortunate enough that when I switched providers, around 2 years ago, I was able to upgrade to 200Mbps. Roughly 6 months later they 'gave' me 400Mbps at no price increase but it also seems to depend on their traffic although I've seen it happen enough to enjoy it. That being said this would still take me around 3 hours to download-and that's assuming their servers and everything in between could maintain that.

This hasn't been my experience on a variety of configurations.

What Hz do you play at? I always drop into the 60-80's on Titan and certain other planets while most actual activities are 120+. I assume it has to do with the netcode and something hammering the CPU because the GPU usage drops.

3440x1440@120Hz. However, that wasn't my experience at 4K@60Hz either. The only time I see frame rate drops is when I am in an escalation protocol or Menagerie run where there were a lot of enemies in my face, with other players using special abilities, supers, Ace of Spades explosions, and that sort of thing. Sometimes it happens in the Crucible, but not nearly as often.

I'm fortunate enough that when I switched providers, around 2 years ago, I was able to upgrade to 200Mbps. Roughly 6 months later they 'gave' me 400Mbps at no price increase but it also seems to depend on their traffic although I've seen it happen enough to enjoy it. That being said this would still take me around 3 hours to download-and that's assuming their servers and everything in between could maintain that.

Two years ago, I got an upgrade from 3Mb to 7Mb radio. We moved this past summer, and I got to upgrade to 12Mb DSL, but it caps out around 6Mb

So I guess I'm moving up. I'm almost tied with some third world nations now.

I just had my bandwidth upgraded to 500Mbps from 300Mbps.

Two years ago, I got an upgrade from 3Mb to 7Mb radio. We moved this past summer, and I got to upgrade to 12Mb DSL, but it caps out around 6Mb

So I guess I'm moving up. I'm almost tied with some third world nations now.
I spent 10+ years living about 10 miles just past our state capital with dial up. AOL LOL! They, and our phone provider at the time, said I was paying for 56k but I rarely saw more than 7k. When we did finally move into town I got a 5Mbps connection and thought that was amazing. I couldn't believe it when I inherited the bulk of the day to day IT duties at my job that one of our locations(with a staff around a dozen plus) only had a T1 connection via a pair of ISDN's. That was only a couple of years ago. Thankfully we've all move since and our enjoying some nice improvements but it took the better part of 2 decades so I really understand. Presently we're living a few blocks from the CO which is why were so lucky with what we got. They've offered GB speeds but I just don't need or can afford it.

Who is your carrier Dan?

Frontier FIOS. (Formerly, Verizon FIOS.) I had AT&T U-Verse when I lived in another city. I had 1000Mbps service there. I frequently speed tested in the mid-upper 900Mbps range. I miss that, as I was paying half as much as I was paying for 300Mbps on FIOS. However, when we upgraded to 500Mbps, our price was cut virtually in half over our 300Mbps plan. Now I pay the same basic price I did with AT&T, but for half the bandwidth.

It sucks compared to what I had but there is nothing better in my area.

Yea I had verizon Fios but dumped it like a rock when they got bought out by Frontier after trying to deal with their customer service. Hopefully that is better now?

I could go for their 500 meg package because it's bi directional. But so far I'm ok with Spectrum's 300 meg package with 25 meg upload.

Lol wow. Guess I need to go ahead and buy a 1TB 970 for my Blade 15 Advanced. 250GB was always plenty for my game selection/rotation but this changes that.

Yea I have a primary 1 tb nvme 960... I think and I'm thinking of adding a second TB NVME just for more space. Especially since they are under a hundred dollars in most cases.

Become a Patron!
Back