DirectStorage API Launches for PC, Enabling Faster Loading Times in Windows Games

This was the only interesting part about the Win11 launch.

Well, the article does say it can work in 10, although states 11 will have better results, so I'll be very interested in seeing this pop up in something soon. I'm especially curious to see if it improves PCIe 4.0 load times.

I was due for a new build when I did my x570 build and already knew that games were not showing that much improvement with PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives but I still went ahead and got one. The benches are fine but just like reviews said, games only load marginally faster than 3.0. Here's hoping this changes that at some point.

I was due for a new build when I did my x570 build and already knew that games were not showing that much improvement with PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives but I still went ahead and got one.
I did the same thing.

Let's see... number of games with support:

I hear Forsaken might support it, but it just got pushed back until September, and it's supposed to be another S/E $70 PC release. So ... yeah. Hooray for this I guess?

I did the same thing.

Let's see... number of games with support:

I hear Forsaken might support it, but it just got pushed back until September, and it's supposed to be another S/E $70 PC release. So ... yeah. Hooray for this I guess?

Yea I just refreshed my own build from my R9 3900x (now sitting in it's old motherboard with old case and PCIE 3.x NVME Drive. Figured I was refreshing might as well double my storage capacity and go PCIE 4.x. I do like the 980 pro (w heatsink). But tangible benefit is questionable.

My only issue is that once again here is a new technology that requires developers to support it in the game. It isn't just an automatic thing. And we know how they like to take shortcuts and save time/money. If this is similar to how it works in the XBOX then maybe developing it with the console in mind will translate easily to the PC? That's the only way it'll probably proliferate on the PC.

So as it is now, we have to wait to see how individual games utilize it, as it is game-based, and other games just won't benefit. If only a handful of games utilize it, then what's the point. So I guess time will tell how ubiquitous this becomes.

I'm also all ears for suggestions on how to benchmark this. I'd love to show the advantages, the hardest part will be consistency. I'm also not sure if the feature can be toggled on or off, or if it's just "on" the whole time regardless. No idea how it will be implemented and enabled.

Last edited:
Feels like a game under windows to game under your Linux flavor of choice comparison will be needed.

Become a Patron!
Back