Disney CEO Bob Iger Says It Is Pulling Back on Marvel and Star Wars Projects to Contain Costs

I saw a clickbait story about a month ago from a stock analyst or some such that speculated Apple might be looking into buying it.
Apple's market cap may be north of $3 trillion, but their last financial report showed they only had around $50 billion of cash on hand/cash equivalents. I'm sure Apple would have no issue getting the loans and investments to purchase Disney, though.

Yeah, and in regards to the whole streaming branch, there's also Comcast/Hulu. I did a post a couple of months back about how, at the time it was speculated Disney might buy their stake out but at this point, between Apple and Comcast, I could see a potential licensing deal between the three just so Iger could keep hold of content while offloading some of the coasts and increasing revenue. Throw Netflix back into the mix, ironic since it's only been a matter of years since their Marvel lineup ended and just arrived on D+, and there are a lot of licensing options.

Yeah, and in regards to the whole streaming branch, there's also Comcast/Hulu. I did a post a couple of months back about how, at the time it was speculated Disney might buy their stake out but at this point, between Apple and Comcast, I could see a potential licensing deal between the three just so Iger could keep hold of content while offloading some of the coasts and increasing revenue. Throw Netflix back into the mix, ironic since it's only been a matter of years since their Marvel lineup ended and just arrived on D+, and there are a lot of licensing options.
I did see a story somewhere that Disney is starting to license content to other streaming providers. I just wonder what and where its going to be. There are some legacy titles they have that I wouldn't mind watching, but I'm not subscribing to D+ to watch it.

Perhaps Disney screwed up getting into distribution and all of the associated costs. I honestly hope this is a false rumor and Disney is well positioned. They have a lot of solid IP (that they can still recover for the more hard core fan base or less 'hardcore' and more cohesive story fan base.)

Some spit-balling here.

Disney could license continuity and unique story lines to different companies. Let Netfix, Sony, Time Warner, and so on each have their own continuity with different actors and actresses reprising roles for major characters as they see fit. Disney is allowed oversite to make sure that some base elements and qualitative measures are present. Beyond that the studio's get rights to develop whatever. As part of this, all content find's it's way back to Disney + eventually as. "Netflix Marvel, or Hulu Starwars" and so on... you get the idea.

This way as long as they can meet the quality standards everyone gets a unique universe of content, for their streaming service (for 3-6 months) where they reap the subscription growth targets. And Disney remains the 'curator' of the IP's and garners some additional ROI based on the streaming if their licensed IP's.

Then they don't sell off their IP product. And they get to handle the "teamups" or Cross universe stuff. Publish bigger movies/content that has implications that would impact all universes... things like that.

This would give fan's the option too focus on the continuity line they desire. (with Disney being the foundational one or rotating through the various content creator lines.)

It would give Disney a solid revenue stream from licensee content (where they shine in IP protection.)

And it would allow them to curate and develop broader mulit-verse content for fans of all of that.

Huh.... you know I kind of like that idea.

Now they're hemorraghing terribly under the strain.
I think it has more to do with all the shovelware they made just for the exclusive purpose of streaming content -- all those Marvel and SW shows, for instance. The Jeff Goldblum thing, etc.

That stuff ain't cheap, and they didn't have any way to monetize it other than the subscription service.

Apple's market cap may be north of $3 trillion, but their last financial report showed they only had around $50 billion of cash on hand/cash equivalents. I'm sure Apple would have no issue getting the loans and investments to purchase Disney, though.
We wouldn't be better off with Apple in charge, that's for sure. It isn't as though Disney would be putting out less woke content with Apple in charge. By in large, outside of the iPhone Apple has had a pretty poor track record in other business areas. It carved out a niche for itself in the computing market but it was never especially profitable. It catered to graphic designers, video editing and that sort of thing but outside of that Apple's computing division has only ever held the most minute market share.

The company was swirling down the drain before they got Jobs back at the helm and released the iMac. It's also a company that tells the customers how things will be rather than necessarily putting out what the customer wants. Apple fosters a cult-like mentality that quite honestly has kept them alive but hasn't really equated to success outside of the iPhone itself. As much as I hate Apple as a company I have to admit that the iPod and iPhone lines were a homerun for the company that propelled them to success.

Their other ventures may make them some money, but again they are small players everywhere but the phone market.

On the subject of Disney, I don't think Apple's internal culture is any less woke than Disney's. Plus, Apple would be forced to chase that ESG score to get that Blackrock money to finance the buy out of Disney which would leave Disney in the same place it is today. There is no fixing one woke company with another (even if the buyer isn't woke) that doesn't have the liquidity on its own to make such a buy without taking out loans. That company also has to be willing to take that risk.

As for the content from Disney itself, its pretty easy to understand what's happened. Political correctness and messaging surrounding identity politics has become the goal of entertainment companies. They now seem to feel that social engineering is their duty and they must feel its more important than simply making money.

Rather than provide entertainment and earn money through giving customers what they want, the entertainment industry have adopted Apple's approach of attempting to gets its customers to conform to their product offerings instead of providing goods and services that the customers want. While this method has yielded moderate success for Apple it hasn't worked for Hollywood at all. If you only do one thing, filling a niche can certainly work but broad appeal is what makes the money in entertainment.

It's the heavy handed-ness of it that makes it so unpalatable. Hollywood has always been left leaning as far back as I can remember. Some of our most beloved shows and IP's have been rabidly anti-gun, pro-alphabet people, or whatever else. The main difference between earlier decades and now comes down to the quality of the writing. Modern writers don't know how to do anything but beat you over the head with their ideas. In the past, writers would write a good story and then using subtext, insert whatever messaging they wished to convey. This can be done in a thought provoking way and sometimes can be interpreted a few different ways. Obviously, we can't have that sort of thing today. If its not obvious and in your face its not really there.

Subtlety is not something that modern writers seem to understand. They don't know anything about subtext and wrongfully assume everyone would be too stupid to understand what they are trying to say even if they do understand the concept of being subtle. They place the message first and work the narrative around it. When you combine this with inexperience you get what we typically see today.

Experienced writers have honed their craft and story telling abilities. They've learned what works and what doesn't through years of trial and error. They also cut their teeth on writing smaller projects, individual scenes and TV episodes to build their experience and skills in the industry.
A lot of the writers cranking out this crap are 30 and under and as a result, they are young, impressionable and fully indoctrinated by the radical left-leaning media and the educational institutions they've been exposed to.

Become a Patron!
Back