Disney+ Is Already Losing Movies: "Home Alone" and Others Removed Due to Licensing Issues

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Disney's streaming service only debuted two months ago, but its catalog has already grown slimmer.

According to angry subscribers who took to Twitter, Disney+ has lost the following 12 movies:
  • Home Alone 1 and 2
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  • The Sandlot
  • Flicka
  • Dr. Dolittle
  • White Wilderness
  • Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties
  • The Shaggy Dog (2006)
  • Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers
  • Strange Magic
  • The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration
A spokesperson confirmed the loss with Gizmodo and reasoned that they had to be removed due to pre-existing legacy agreements.

These titles will return when their licenses expire, but that could take a while.

We’ve known that this would be the case for some time now. Back in October, a Disney+ spokesperson told Gizmodo that a “very, very small” number of titles would periodically leave the service if they had pre-existing legacy agreements for licensing in place prior to the service’s launch.

The flip side of the this is that I've encountered a number of titles that show up in searches but when you click on them the site gives a date on when they'll arrive on the service due to licensing issues.

1578236118338.png

Last edited:
If it wasn't free for me, because of the Verizon deal, I'd ditch Disney +. Limited stuff to watch, and that list of movies being removed above, were not things I wanted to see.

Most of what I do want to see is like what lostin3d states. Not available yet

Become a Patron!
Back