Dolby Vision Support Arrives on Microsoft’s Xbox Series X|S Consoles

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-s-back-to-back-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Microsoft has announced that Dolby Vision support has officially been added to the Xbox Series X|S. This is a pretty deal, as it marks the first time that Dolby’s HDR technology is available through a video games console. According to the company, Xbox gamers can expect 40x brighter highlights, 10x deeper black levels, and up to 12-bit color depth in games that support Dolby Vision. The addition complements Dolby’s latest audio technology, Dolby Atmos, which was added to Microsoft’s next-gen Xbox Series X|S consoles in 2020.

Check out the video below for split-screen comparisons of how Gears of War 5 looks with Dolby Vision enabled versus standard HDR.

From the Xbox team:

Starting today, gamers with compatible Dolby Vision-enabled TVs will be able to enjoy full-spectrum visuals with the rollout of Dolby Vision gaming on Xbox Series X|S...

Continue reading...

if only you could buy the **** things, and seeing how Lisa Su says shortages will be bad till end 2022 I guess we wont be able to buy them anytime soon as of all the things containing AMD stuff these seem to be the rarest by far (the series X anyways).

Might end up upgrading my PC this year with the new intel CPU's if reviews are good.

Might end up upgrading my PC this year with the new intel CPU's if reviews are good.
PC had DV support at one point. I did some testing with it with my x570 build back when I was running a Strix 2080 Ti in it connected to a LG C9 via HDMI 2.0 at 2560x1440 120 Hz. I played Mass Effect Andromeda with it since that's the only game I have that has a DV option. The odd thing, and I don't know if something with the drivers changed or what, when I upgraded to my Strix 3090 it doesn't seem to work anymore. Last time I checked was around 2-3 months ago and it was at 1440p and 4K using a high grade HDMI 2.1 cable on a port that I know supports it(they're all supposed to on the C-9 but I discovered a couple of ports are not up to par for 4K 120 Hz G-Sync-probably defective but work fine for everything else).

Right?
I've bought 2 PS5s and 4 3080TIs and I still can't get my hands on a Series X.

Become a Patron!
Back