Doom Eternal Reviews Begin to Appear on the Internet and Most Agree, It’s Good

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
doom-eternal.jpg
Image: id Software/Bethesda Softworks

With three days to go until Doom Eternal’s launch the review embargo’s have been lifted. Across the internet they can be found and overall most are in agreement that it is a good, possibly great, game. It was only a couple of months ago that lead programmer Billy Khan laid claim to it being the best game they have ever made. Some might say great, while some are a little beyond middle of the road. In this rather stressful time it is likely there is more than a few people looking forward to unloading some ammo, and stress, in blowing things up. Presently only the single player campaign is available with multiplayer arriving on release day. Without further adieu let’s dig into some of the early reviews.

Early Single...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one made my head explode into a puke bucket. It is a beautiful game though. Will have to see what the gameplay is like on this one. It's using a newer idtech engine so who knows (6 vs 7)

Game is really good. The only issue I had with my system is after upgrading to the latest driver, Doom would run fine but all my other games would cause the monitor to go to a black screen on the loading screens. After rolling back to the previous driver all is fine.

Well my review is in. Game has some major flaws that prevent it from getting a 10/10 but nothing that hopefully some down the road patching can address. I'm going to address the flaws first cause everyone is going to be raving about what's good anyhow.

Cons:
  • Unnecessary clipping. Sometimes you jump trying to explore an area and hit an invisible wall, or what I find truely egregious is the insta death to checkpoint if you go out of bounds.
  • Dash is set to direction of travel not look ahead making some platforming segments weird. I know you can only pick one movement style and you need to side and rear dodge but when mid air and trying to hit that last wall and you somehow move randomly to your left it gets annoying.
  • Can't clip through or around enemies resulting in instant death in closed literal hallway combat. The outside maps are gorgeous with nice settings but the playable area is too **** small. Lots of verticallity which is great for aerial combat and I love it, but I need to breath too.
  • The marauder is needlessly unbalanced. It's a great battle dance but you've got to have the reflexes of a god to actually hit him with anything other than the shotgun.
  • For some reason I'm getting what I thought was high FPS until I looked at reviews. Something may be up with performance on Ryzen
  • I literally got stuck in a wall and had to reload to a checkpoint.
  • General bugs like doors opening and closing repeatably preventing you from going through.
  • Frozen elevator cutscenes wtf? I love a good cinematic but why can't I move in the elevator?
Pros:
  • Geometric detail is much higher in idtech7 and it is noticeable. Vulkan only (yes!)
  • Varied landscapes much more so than 2016.
  • Good voice acting
  • Daisy (no spoilers)
  • Fan service out the wazoo, see above.
  • Ammo boxes replaced by a freaking chainsaw! You literally rip and tear to reload.
  • Skill cap is highest of any game I know.
  • Level design is good but still too tight. Rewards vertical gameplay.
  • Metal AF.
Will update whenever I finish it, sadly had to sleep.

Well my review is in. Game has some major flaws that prevent it from getting a 10/10 but nothing that hopefully some down the road patching can address. I'm going to address the flaws first cause everyone is going to be raving about what's good anyhow.

Cons:
  • Unnecessary clipping. Sometimes you jump trying to explore an area and hit an invisible wall, or what I find truely egregious is the insta death to checkpoint if you go out of bounds.
  • Dash is set to direction of travel not look ahead making some platforming segments weird. I know you can only pick one movement style and you need to side and rear dodge but when mid air and trying to hit that last wall and you somehow move randomly to your left it gets annoying.
  • Can't clip through or around enemies resulting in instant death in closed literal hallway combat. The outside maps are gorgeous with nice settings but the playable area is too **** small. Lots of verticallity which is great for aerial combat and I love it, but I need to breath too.
  • The marauder is needlessly unbalanced. It's a great battle dance but you've got to have the reflexes of a god to actually hit him with anything other than the shotgun.
  • For some reason I'm getting what I thought was high FPS until I looked at reviews. Something may be up with performance on Ryzen
  • I literally got stuck in a wall and had to reload to a checkpoint.
  • General bugs like doors opening and closing repeatably preventing you from going through.
  • Frozen elevator cutscenes wtf? I love a good cinematic but why can't I move in the elevator?
Pros:
  • Geometric detail is much higher in idtech7 and it is noticeable. Vulkan only (yes!)
  • Varied landscapes much more so than 2016.
  • Good voice acting
  • Daisy (no spoilers)
  • Fan service out the wazoo, see above.
  • Ammo boxes replaced by a freaking chainsaw! You literally rip and tear to reload.
  • Skill cap is highest of any game I know.
  • Level design is good but still too tight. Rewards vertical gameplay.
  • Metal AF.
Will update whenever I finish it, sadly had to sleep.
In regards to your performance, it's odd, but turning off Steam overlay or Steam FPS counter really boosted my fps. Many others are reporting the same issue.

In regards to your performance, it's odd, but turning off Steam overlay or Steam FPS counter really boosted my fps. Many others are reporting the same issue.
Yeah that's what I found out after researching. I'm now consistently getting 200+ fps.

Become a Patron!
Back