DOOM Eternal Video Card Performance Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner.png

Introduction

DOOM Eternal was launched on March 20th to PC, PS4, Stadia, and XONE.  This new first-person shooter captures the days of ole, continuing the DOOM game series franchise, the DOOM Slayer, and playstyle made famous by id Software.  In fact, the developer this time for this one is id Software itself, published by Bethesda Softworks.This one represents the fifth game in the DOOM series and is a direct sequel to DOOM released in 2016.  This game is campaign focused but does have multiplayer.  According to Metacritic on the PC this game has a high Metascore of 90 and a high User Score of 7.5. In our DOOM Eternal performance review today we are going to look at video card performance in DOOM Eternal.  We will be using eleven video cards to take a look from...

Continue reading...

I would like to add that this game looks excellent with chunky pixels from Integer Scaling, although setting it up in 1080p requires a custom 960x540 resolution.

Once you get it going, it sort of looks like old pre-rendered CG video from the early 2000's - except obviously quite a bit better.
You'll likely have to disable resolution scaling though, as your CPU+RAM is likely to become the bottleneck at half - or even one third for 3x3 pixels at 4k - the resolution you'd normally be playing at.

So where does my 1080ti land? Somewhere around the 2080FE?

The idtech engine is really pretty amazing that it does so well even on medium grade hardware.

Not sure I'll be in a hurry to get this game though, I get motion sickness from fast moving games. The 2016 Doom hurt me badly, I couldn't finish it.

Reactions: _k_

That sounds about right. With the VRAM capacity that card has it will have no problem running 1440p max settings, and even be able to dable in 4K territory.

That sounds about right.
From what I've seen, the 1080 Ti at 1440p with Ultra Nightmare settings will run the game firmly in the 100s. I'd like to test it myself with my own 1080 Ti, but my highest resolution display is 1200p. Normally I would try it with nVidia DSR, but for the past few months and last several driver versions, DSR and Vulkan games haven't gotten along on my system. If I try to use DSR in any Vulkan game it usually BSODs the system, and names an nVidia driver file. This still occurs on driver version 442.74. Saw it happen with Doom 64 this past weekend (on Vulkan, I didn't try D3D11). Luckily Doom Eternal did not do that for me, but it would only display a black screen. So right now I am stuck at 1200p where I am CPU-limited. I've some testing between the 1080 Ti and my friend's 5700XT, where the 1080 Ti turns in stronger numbers, as expected. He was running Doom Eternal at 1440p with max settings on the 5700 XT with framerates ranging from the low 100s to the high 100s. So I would assume similar but better results for the 1080 Ti at 1440p. My best guess anyways.

Thanks for the article Brent, great job as always. Really interesting to see the difference between Ultra, Nightmare, and Ultra Nightmare settings was just a few fps. I think we can all agree that id Software really ****ing hit it outta the park again. Glad to see pure Vulkan implementation. Really appreciate the wealth of settings the game offers, and not just for graphics. Wish I could see this game in HDR.

Last edited:
Great review as always. Glad to see VRAM being put to good use. I know this is a GPU review but I'd love to see CPU scaling. I swear I don't dip below 200 on 1440p using the 3950x. It shows extremely good core utilization. Also I've been running folding at home *while* playing and still getting over my 120hz refresh. It's insanely optimized.

Become a Patron!
Back