Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons Delivers Tag Team Action on PC and Consoles This Summer

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Modus Games has announced that Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons, the latest installment in the classic beat 'em up franchise from developer Secret Base, will be released for PC, Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, and PlayStation 4 this summer. This appears to be the 15th game in the series, and while it's been 36 years since Billy and Jimmy Lee's original adventure, they are back in this one to punch and kick a bunch of people in what sounds like a post-apocalyptic NYC. Players can choose two characters (13 in total) and seamlessly switch between them as part of the game's tag team system, enabling different moves, while roguelite elements are also there to ensure that each playthrough is unique. Meanwhile, the Double Dragon movie that released in 1994 is still considered by many as the worst video game movie ever made.

See full article...

It hasn't been 36 years since their last game:
(this game sucked)
(this game was okay)

EDIT:
Whoops, I misread. I read it as "while it's been 36 years since Billy and Jimmy Lee's last adventure" but it's actually written as "while it's been 36 years since Billy and Jimmy Lee's original adventure". My bad.

Still though, 36 years, wow.

It's just a reminder of something I was mentioning in another thread recently in that many of us here are a part of those first generations that got into gaming either through consoles or PC. I knew folks in their 30s-40s when I was a kid who introduced me to some of the first text adventures, and text-based games (Telengard, Scott Adams, Hunt the Wumpus anyone?) and such but once we got to actual "video" games it was the start of everything that exists now.

...many of us here are a part of those first generations that got into gaming either through consoles or PC.
It's really weird to me to run into people who didn't start gaming until 5th-gen (or the equivalent time period on PC) or after. Now there are adults who said they were playing DS and PS2 and sh1t when they were kids, and I'm like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!" That seems really late to me.

Yeah in the 80s I was playing Atari 2600 then moved over to NES by the time the 90s rolled around, and that's when I my life shifted to focus mainly on video games. And while I didn't start PC gaming in my own home until the mid-to-late 90s, I was always playing PC games at other friends' houses well before then. It was the late 90s when I switched my focus from console to PC, but I've still stuck with consoles ever since. We'll see if 9th-gen is the first generation since 2nd-gen that I end up skipping a console generation. It's crazy that there have been 9 generations of video games, and I've participated in all but the first one. It's still a major goal of mine to play Spacewar! on the original hardware (DEC's PDP-1 computer).

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the new art style - too much River City Ransom. I would've preferred something more gritty or closer to Streets of Rage IV.

Gameplay-wise it sounds good, I like the fusion of Roguelite elements into the beat 'em up. Not sure about only 2 player coop (if I read that right), feels like 4 should be the minimum for these beat 'em ups.

Become a Patron!
Back