Dune: Awakening Developer Shares Details about Survival Mechanics for the Upcoming Open-World Survival MMO

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Dune: Awakening is an open-world survival MMO in development by Funcom that was revealed in 2021 and given a 4K announcement trailer in 2022 and is based on the Frank Herbert novels with visuals inspired by the award-winning Denis Villeneuve 2021 film. Creative director Joel Bylos recently gave an interview with PC Gamer where he explained that there are essentially three core survival systems that players will need to be mindful of; shelter from sandstorms, worms, and water.

See full article...

I think the mmo survival genre is done, over with, caput, dead. Who actually wants these pointless games?

I think the mmo survival genre is done, over with, caput, dead. Who actually wants these pointless games?
Plenty of people play survival games... it's not really my thing. But a MMORPG in the Dune universe could actually be interesting and well done. Problem is everyone would be wanting to be the quizatshaderach. or however that is spelled.

I would say though that that sort of game would be better served as a single player RPG with progression and such to get the full story. Problem with that is there is no RMR so businesses want to avoid it. Investors LOVE RMR. (Recurring Monthly Revenue.)

Last edited:
I'm not into them (MMORPG) but I do like what I'm hearing about what they've got planned for this game. I also like the visual designs, I included some new screenshots toward the end of the article. It's unlikely I'll get into this game but still wish the best for them.

I would say though that that sort of game would be better served as a single player RPG with progression and such to get the full story. Problem with that is there is no RMR so businesses want to avoid it. Investors LOVE RMR. (Recurring Monthly Revenue.)
You don't need recurring spending if you make a game people actually want. It is not rocket science. Most MMORPGS barely make waves and only attract a very niche audience. Sure the whales might keep the ship afloat for a while, but nobody really wins in that scenario.

A proper single player RPG would make more in a month than some mmo could ever hope to in a year. And an MMO needs full time support from the developer they can't move on to work on something else until they kill their last game. It's a long slow walk towards a brick wall, where you end up holding nothing at the end, unless you are mega successful, but only one MMO every 2-3 years becomes a cash cow like that.

Is GTA5 Online considered an MMO?
Don't know but it probably should be. Just checked and RS says up to 30 players but I don't know how many are required to be considered massively multiplayer.

I will say, and didn't include in the article because it was vaguely and casually spoken about, that the developer mentioned the team is trying not to just rehash the basic survival formula that most everyone else does. I'm not sure how far they'll get with that goal but it could be refreshing if they are able to come up with some new ideas to freshen things up.

Become a Patron!
Back