DVD and Blu-ray Sales Have Declined by 25% YOY

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
More and more consumers are moving on from physical discs to streaming and digital, according to new figures from DEG (Digital Entertainment Group) that imply sales of the former fell substantially last year.

See full article...

In other news... Water is still Wet. Just wait for the advertisements to accumulate and we might see a rebound of physical media sales.

I still buy physical media for the things I really care about but have otherwise thrown in the towel for any hope that its demise isn't far off. I'm guessing within ten years or so. I want to be wrong about this though.

About the only thing I could see that might change this is if the powers that be find a different medium that's cost-effective enough, and as universally supported as the optical media has been, with the storage capacity that's needed. Flash, NAND, etc., something. We seem to have no problem with file formats but a low-cost storage solution is an issue. I know some experiments have been tried but it's never really been pushed and it doesn't appear that it will be any time soon.

DVD/Bluray sales will get hot once they become “retro” enough.

They are a dying breed now though. Streaming killed it just as sure as DVDs killed off VHS

Not to mention that streaming companies have shown they can and WILL just turn off features of streaming content as they see fit.

It's almost as if movies are magically falling out of the clouds and landing in our TVs :) /s

I have picked up physical 4K UHD of things I really care about, but for 95% of the random crap streaming is fine. I ripped 90% of my physical stuff to the server long ago and got rid of most of the discs. Still have way too many though.

...also comes in handy in the rare occasions the internet goes down (or even rarer, the power)
When I switched from Comcast to Verizon, Internet outages mostly became a thing of the past (whereas before they were a regular occurrence). But the power going out, shiiiiat all it takes is some decent rain and some mildly strong wind to knock the power out for a few days. Can't live without a UPS in my area. I sorely wish power outages were rare.

Streaming killed it just as sure as DVDs killed off VHS
DVD killing off VHS made sense, cuz aside from local recording, it was literally superior in every way. Streaming is NOT superior to using local media in any way at all.

The problem is the quality of streaming doesn't = blue ray or in some cases DVD.
Exactly.

DVD killing off VHS made sense, cuz aside from local recording, it was literally superior in every way. Streaming is NOT superior to using local media in any way at all.
You aren’t wrong but it really had very little to do with quality. It’s all about convenience.

DVDs didn’t need to be rewound, and streaming you don’t even have to get up and change the disc (or worry about peanut butter fingers)

Become a Patron!
Back