EA Reclassifies Loot Boxes as "Surprise Mechanics," Calls Them "Ethical and Quite Fun"

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The UK's Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport Committee confronted game company executives today in a discussion regarding immersive and addictive technologies. Representing EA was VP of legal and government affairs Kerry Hopkins, who clarified the publisher's position on loot boxes.

“Well first, we don’t call them lootboxes, we look at them as surprise mechanics,” Hopkins asserted. “If you go to…a store that sells a lot of toys, and you do a search for surprise toys, what you’ll find is that this is something people enjoy, they enjoy surprises.”

Hopkins suggests that EA's randomized purchases are the virtual equivalent of surprise toys for children (e.g., Kinder Eggs, Hatchimals, LOL Surprise dolls) and equally as innocent. The company's official position is that they're not only wanted by gamers, but also ethical.

“We do think the way that we have implemented these kinds of mechanics – and FIFA of course is our big one, our FIFA Ultimate Team and our packs – is actually quite ethical and quite fun, quite enjoyable to people.

The committee wasn't amused by EA's claims. Legislative action certainly remains possible.

I hope they reply back, "We don't consider these as 'fines' they're Potentially Recurring Financial Mechanics."

To quote the great George Carlin, "They're only words".

I really hope the term 'Surprise Mechanics' sticks.

That's like saying "it's not rape if you yell surprise first." It isn't true and it's total marketing douchebaggery.

I legitimately hope this guy get's hit buy a bus, preferably one with "SURPRISE" written somewhere on it. I honestly couldn't care less one way or another about the whole loot box thing but this is so sleezy I could only imagine what kind of piece of **** this guy is... This *** hat just took douchebag to a whole new level.

He made a good point.. with the Kinder eggs, all the blind bag collectible toys for kids, the LEGO CMF's, etc..

He made a good point.. with the Kinder eggs, all the blind bag collectible toys for kids, the LEGO CMF's, etc..

It doesn't change the fact that when you hand over money for an unknown quantity, its technically gambling. I ****ing hate loot box mechanics. RNG for gear drops and what not is bad enough, but understandable. But there is no financial investment in that. Cash shops for games are here to stay and to some extent, I actually like them. However, a good cash shop in a game should simply offer cosmetic goods at reasonable prices with frequent updates to stay relevant. That's how it should be in my mind.

Paying money for RNGesus to **** me over and keep me spending, no thanks.

It doesn't change the fact that when you hand over money for an unknown quantity, its technically gambling. I ****ing hate loot box mechanics. RNG for gear drops and what not is bad enough, but understandable. But there is no financial investment in that. Cash shops for games are here to stay and to some extent, I actually like them. However, a good cash shop in a game should simply offer cosmetic goods at reasonable prices with frequent updates to stay relevant. That's how it should be in my mind.

Paying money for RNGesus to **** me over and keep me spending, no thanks.

I agree. I think the way they work in Destiny 2 is about as perfect as it comes

Become a Patron!
Back