EA's Origin discontinued

Denpepe

FPS Regular
So after getting notified of an Origin update a couple days ago, I downloaded the update and affter it installed the only thing I would do was install the new EA app or get additional info on the web.

if you don't want that hassle avoid the latest Origin update is what I would recommend.

So far the new app seems to like to send notifications, going to need to look into if those can be turned off.

I'm still bitter about it's transition from EA downloader and being feature incomplete for.. well.. until well after its demise....

Yeah, it's been a downhill slide for this for a while now. Up until a few years back, I was still enjoying it but not long after they started making changes and it really bit the bullet. I finally stopped installing it about a year or so ago and try to avoid having any of my games on it. So glad that I can launch Dead Space Remake straight from Steam (bought it there) because I was worried it'd be like Ubisoft and make me install its launcher again.

I was reading a couple of days ago about the new thing they're launching but I've got no interest at this point since between GOG/Steam/Epic I've pretty much got everything I currently want.

I was reading a couple of days ago about the new thing they're launching but I've got no interest at this point since between GOG/Steam/Epic I've pretty much got everything I currently want.
I agree. The rate that these stand alone launchers were popping up was getting out of hand, so one less is always a good thing, but I'm sure one will be ready to take its place.

I agree. The rate that these stand alone launchers were popping up was getting out of hand, so one less is always a good thing
GOG Galaxy to the rescue but still sucks when it has to pull up Epic. My two least favorites still are EA and Ubisoft and don't use either, but Epic isn't that far behind and it's not uncommon to block it from startup and only use it when required. I think the only games I still need it for are Crysis remastered (bought at release), and Ghostbusters Remastered. I think that I've got maybe around 30+ free games there but even for free, that thing isn't usually worth having running in the background doing whatever it's doing. I try to do everything I can to get on GOG and then Steam.

I avoid Steam for personal reasons and try to use GOG almost exclusively. I also avoid using the GOG Galaxy client, preferring to use standalone offline installers that GOG provides as an alternative to Galaxy. I have more than enough of a gaming backlog to keep me busy.

That said, I do occasionally read the Steam game forums for selected games I've bought on GOG, because the GOG community is by far much smaller than the Steam community, and game discussions tend to be more active and informative on Steam. I've never really gotten into reddit, except for the occasional Google search result, so I don't haunt there either.

Last edited:
I may give GOG a try some time as I have never used them.
Galaxy can be clunky and occasionally has similar update hiccups that I've seen with EA but overall I'm happy with it. I've got Steam and Epic linked on it and can use a filter to isolate the games from each or just see the whole kit and kaboodle. It will also display icons per which service you have games on and show each if you've got them on more than one. The nice thing is that you don't have to use it to launch your games, you can just click on the desktop icons but if it is installed it will be pulled up during launch (might be a way to configure that but I haven't tried).

My galaxy software constantly is throwing errors in my event viewer. I'm very tempted to rip it out at this stage.

My galaxy software constantly is throwing errors in my event viewer. I'm very tempted to rip it out at this stage.
Bummer. I've had some machines where it sees an update is out there but can't install it for some reason. Usually, I do a reinstall and that fixes it.

Yea I've been down that road twice now. Need to check event viewer again.
I'm not sure what's going on with it this month but I've now seen it have issues on all my rigs. Sigh. Not going to deal with it right now.

Become a Patron!
Back