Editorial: Are Socket AMD BIOS's Too Fat?

lol, yep one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CK9SHZG/?tag=thefpsreview-20

Did not know if motherboard would support the 3900x well enough for me to keep so popped her in and it works well even with the thermal pad.

Just completed memtest run at 3466mhz with 4 dims and it passed for all intensive purposes. The ASUS C6H T-Topology is somewhat friendly or supports 4 Dims well for AM4 that is.

I've never heard of one of those.

Pads have a pretty bad reputation performance wise, which is why we usuay only see them on RAM and places like that with less intense cooling needs.

How does it perform for you?

These pads I say are roughly equivalent to Artic Silver 5 temperatures. They are reusable, this is about the fourth time CPU was removed and reinstalled, 1700x -> 2700 -> 3900x and yes the same pad. They don't degrade when you do, nor degrade due to time. Very consistent in performance and not dependent upon too much or too little or air bubbles etc. No mess to clean up is another nice thing about these. I use them on my other rigs as well, 6700K and a 1700x system. The worst part is they like to walk or move when putting the cooler on, which means the pad may not be centered over your CPU - giving poor performance. You can look at the above link reviews to get a feel what others think. I have a tube of Arctic MX-4 fresh in it's package which I might try at some point.

That being said here is Aida64 Stress test which is pushing all cores to around 4.1ghz, 1.36v. This fluctuates higher and lower but not much. Over 30 min so everything is at equilibrium or heat saturated. No problem keeping that less than 80c, now I think it should be lower, more like less than 75c, if I've get around to using the MX-4 I will see if there is a difference. Gaming wise temperatures are less than 70c even in the 50s so the need is not here other than curiosity. Custom EKB water loop with 360mm radiator.

StressTestTemp.jpg

Getting back to topic a little, I prefer an all out streamline keyboard driven bios with zero fluff. All professional getting to business so to speak. I am glad that I could use my older motherboard for Zen 2, to me that is awesome but for many that may not work out well either. Nice that I now have a feature never imagine that would work on this motherboard, PCIe 4, while only using it for the video card, very nice option for a SSD upgrade giving performance better than any Intel solution in this case. That is if it works on this motherboard. As for PCIe 4 for the video card, probably nothing noticeable but have a few ideas to see if it does make a difference. Test like CPU video encoding and gaming at the same time where you have extra bandwidth on the bus. 1% lows or minimums which could be assets being loaded to the GPU having contention with normal CPU/GPU operations. While it may not effect averages from a purely gaming point, it can possibly affect gaming while capturing and loading of assets. So having backwards compatibility and giving the extra features that comes along every so often has to be a first to be honest at least for PCIe.

These pads I say are roughly equivalent to Artic Silver 5 temperatures. They are reusable, this is about the fourth time CPU was removed and reinstalled, 1700x -> 2700 -> 3900x and yes the same pad. They don't degrade when you do, nor degrade due to time. Very consistent in performance and not dependent upon too much or too little or air bubbles etc. No mess to clean up is another nice thing about these. I use them on my other rigs as well, 6700K and a 1700x system. The worst part is they like to walk or move when putting the cooler on, which means the pad may not be centered over your CPU - giving poor performance. You can look at the above link reviews to get a feel what others think. I have a tube of Arctic MX-4 fresh in it's package which I might try at some point.

That being said here is Aida64 Stress test which is pushing all cores to around 4.1ghz, 1.36v. This fluctuates higher and lower but not much. Over 30 min so everything is at equilibrium or heat saturated. No problem keeping that less than 80c, now I think it should be lower, more like less than 75c, if I've get around to using the MX-4 I will see if there is a difference. Gaming wise temperatures are less than 70c even in the 50s so the need is not here other than curiosity. Custom EKB water loop with 360mm radiator.

Getting back to topic a little, I prefer an all out streamline keyboard driven bios with zero fluff. All professional getting to business so to speak. I am glad that I could use my older motherboard for Zen 2, to me that is awesome but for many that may not work out well either. Nice that I now have a feature never imagine that would work on this motherboard, PCIe 4, while only using it for the video card, very nice option for a SSD upgrade giving performance better than any Intel solution in this case. That is if it works on this motherboard. As for PCIe 4 for the video card, probably nothing noticeable but have a few ideas to see if it does make a difference. Test like CPU video encoding and gaming at the same time where you have extra bandwidth on the bus. 1% lows or minimums which could be assets being loaded to the GPU having contention with normal CPU/GPU operations. While it may not effect averages from a purely gaming point, it can possibly affect gaming while capturing and loading of assets. So having backwards compatibility and giving the extra features that comes along every so often has to be a first to be honest at least for PCIe.

I'm fine with a streamlined UEFI so long as its got a good layout and plenty of functionality. When I get some time I'm going to try out MSI's UEFI GSE Lite or whatever they call it.

I'm fine with a streamlined UEFI so long as its got a good layout and plenty of functionality. When I get some time I'm going to try out MSI's UEFI GSE Lite or whatever they call it.
Oooh a lite version of a bios? I never thought we would get to the days where we have a lite edition bios.
Id like to try MSI but I hate their logo so much.

Well I would love a lite version, keyboard only plan blue background etc. Spent much time in the past with the blue glow shining on my face.

Personally I too would love a fully-featured, keyboard-only black-on-gray with a blue backdrop UEFI, yes.
Certainly an improvement over partially-featured BIOSes :---DDDD

Oooh a lite version of a bios? I never thought we would get to the days where we have a lite edition bios.
Id like to try MSI but I hate their logo so much.

Next time I have the opportunity, I will let them know how well the lite BIOS was received by enthusiasts.

Become a Patron!
Back