Epic Games Is Laying Off over 800 Employees as It Faces the Challenges of Transitioning Over to “A Metaverse-Inspired Ecosystem”

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Epic Games is laying off roughly sixteen percent of its staff, or 830 employees, per an announcement from CEO Tim Sweeney. An email was sent to staff, followed by a public announcement, that Epic Games has, so far, failed to meet its expectations of investing in transitioning Fortnite into "a metaverse-inspired ecosystem". Sweeney said that while creator content is growing its revenue share is a lesser margin than EG had with Battle Royale and thus a structural change is needed.

See full article...

Couldn't happen to a better company.

Oh, and **** the "metaverse".

Never before has an entire industry gone so all in on a concept practically no one wants.

Just give it a few years and we will be seeing them all exiting "the metaverse". Suck a bullshit made up term.

I for one am glad that the metaverse is as big a success as NFTs.

Had they called the metaverse what it really is: a persistent online virtual reality, it would probably be mildly more successful than with using the buzzword.

I for one am glad that the metaverse is as big a success as NFTs.

Had they called the metaverse what it really is: a persistent online virtual reality, it would probably be mildly more successful than with using the buzzword.
I remember when we just called them MMOs

Become a Patron!
Back