Epic Games Launcher Causes Some CPUs to Run Hotter

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
epic-games-store-logo-square-1024x576.jpg
Image: Epic Games Store

The Epic Games Store (EGS) launcher is causing unusual behavior in AMD and Intel CPUs. Users at Reddit have reported that the software is not only causing their CPUs to run hotter but also decreasing their laptop battery life. While it is not totally uncommon for a game launcher to use system resources in the background, this appears to be more intensive. Hot Hardware has also verified some of the claims.

The first user reported how their AMD Ryzen 7 5800X’s idle temps dropped from 50°C to 37°C after disabling the launcher. Shortly after, a number of users reported similar behavior but also that their laptop battery life shortened by...

Continue reading...

Ok that is interesting. Epic games launcher causing unnessisary ware on pumps.

Great. What data are they harvesting from me I wonder.

Oh look, I see it running in my taskbar right now. Going to have to keep an eye on that.

This issue is all over the web now. Seems some are having temp issues and some are not.

I only have it running when I need it and turn it off after. I've un-checked the box for starting when windows starts.

I've noticed EGS makes my GPU run at 10-20% if it's in the foreground, and 2-3% with the window open in the background, and 10% of my 4G VRAM. CPU load goes up by about 10% on my 4/8T with it in the foreground, and seems to alternate between idle and boost states. It's not enough to make the fans spin up, but it's definitely much larger than Steam.

I actually had noticed that a couple of weeks ago, when my Strix GPU fan started spinning up with just EGS running, and I thought it was odd.

Steam and XBGP both are minimal on CPU, and the GPU only shows a hit if a video is playing or while scrolling.

If I close the window and just let EGS run in the background, I'm not seeing any appreciable load changes on my system.

Don't worry, it's just mining a little bit of crypto in the background while you're not looking.

should work just fine on a couple dozen million clients!

Become a Patron!
Back