Epic Games Paid 9.49 Million Euros for Control Exclusivity

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
How much is Tim Sweeney willing to pay for Epic Games Store exclusivity? A heck of a lot. According to revenue tables from Digital Bros, the parent company of 505 Games, Epic Games paid 9.49 million euro to prevent Control from being released on Steam and other competing platforms.

The revenue from Epic shows as 9.49 million euros and considering Control wasn’t released till then, so likely all revenue came from Epic. Pre-orders might account for some of the revenue, but, considering Xbox and PS4 had pre-orders as well but their revenue shows as zero, consolidates the fact that pre-orders were not taken into account.

That's a pretty chunk of change. at 50.99 eruo a pop and pulling down what... 10% of that? lets see...

So they would need to sell right at 1.9 million copies of control at the retail price to make up for that 9.5 million Euro outlay.

That is presuming a base cost of 49.99 Eruo's.

If we convert everything to USD they would need to sell right under 2.1 million copies to recoup their cost if pricing stays the same.

Recouping the initial investment is the hardest part of any videogame release, so it should come as no surprise that quite a few are ready and willing to be helped along in that regard. : )

Definitely seems like he's trying to cultivate a investment into 505's IP's with this and already carrying Alan Wake which was a free game there a few weeks back. Aside from initial release it looks a bit of a long term plan as well.

I think obviously Epic would like to make money on this investment, but I think they are probably not planning on it.

Right now they are trying everything they can to expand the user base. Even if they don't break even on this cost, so long as it gets them more users. they are happy. They can write off any loss as a marketing expense.

Reactions: _k_
I think obviously Epic would like to make money on this investment, but I think they are probably not planning on it.

Right now they are trying everything they can to expand the user base. Even if they don't break even on this cost, so long as it gets them more users. they are happy. They can write off any loss as a marketing expense.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Reactions: _k_
Become a Patron!
Back