EVGA Acknowledges That Capacitors May Be a Factor to GeForce RTX 3080 Game Crashes

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
EVGA-GeForce-RTX-Back-1024x577.jpg
Image: EVGA

It has only been a day since a possible culprit has been identified for the mysterious game crashes that owners of some GeForce RTX 3080 cards have been experiencing. Now one major manufacturer has come out with a statement that POSCAPS may indeed be to blame for these cards’ inability to maintain higher clock speeds. EVGA has posted the following on its forum.

Hi all,Recently there has been some discussion about the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 series.During our mass production QC testing, we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real-world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the...

Continue reading...

AMD is usually pretty easy to fault when it comes to rocky partner board design issues upon release, to the point that it's difficult to remember a release that didn't have some kind of issue pop up.

Nvidia had Space Invaders with the 2080Ti, and that could generally be seen as an exception at the time, with the caveat that the event is not repeated.

It's now been repeated.

AMD is usually pretty easy to fault when it comes to rocky partner board design issues upon release, to the point that it's difficult to remember a release that didn't have some kind of issue pop up.

Nvidia had Space Invaders with the 2080Ti, and that could generally be seen as an exception at the time, with the caveat that the event is not repeated.

It's now been repeated.
I wouldnt compare the two, this current issue can literally be fixed with a bios update that simply brings down the boost.
Still sucks, but not catastrophic like space invaders.

Also it seems that the POSCAP issue is very much brand specific, and being swiftly dealt with.
At least from my memory, space invaders just seemed a lot worse than this.

Does POSCAPS stand for piece of **** capacitor.......or is it just me?

Does POSCAPS stand for piece of **** capacitor.......or is it just me?
LOL, it's just you...and a few others...probably a lot of ppl..

Seriously tho, POSCAP's are fine, just not for this user case.
Basically the wrong component, chosen on price only.

There are billions of them out there, in everyday use with no issues.
Right tool for the job and all that ****....

I wouldnt compare the two, this current issue can literally be fixed with a bios update that simply brings down the boost.
Still sucks, but not catastrophic like space invaders.
It's more comparable to the 5700XT issue, though I agree that it seems to have been run down and will likely be fixed much faster.
At least from my memory, space invaders just seemed a lot worse than this.
I make that comparison only to demonstrate that something happened. This is probably much less worse as it seems like an easy fix, but it is a mark against Nvidia with respect to overall QA for this launch.

Become a Patron!
Back